360 timing belt Pulley gap query | FerrariChat

360 timing belt Pulley gap query

Discussion in '360/430' started by virendra, Oct 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Installed the cam belt but struggling to understand the Manual in terms of gap setup for the pulley.

I have got the pin in the tensioner and the bearing is in place. However its hard to understand what the WSM implies in terms of the gap . Is it the yellow, red or blue where I need to check the gap as per my attachment.

So I put the tensioner bearing on, moved the inside fixed bit clockwise to tighten the belt and tightened the 17mm bolt a little bit.

The gap between the metal tensioner holder and the pulley holder was v v low, so made it 2 mm. and then tightened the pulley.

Do you rotate the pulley inside and get it to the gap of 2mm or make the gap 2mm and then rotate the pulely to tighten the belt?

Belt seemed loose when the casings were pulled apart with a 2mm gap and when the pin is released the gap became more like 3 mm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the blue is where is should be around 2mm. you rotate the pulley first, then tight nut . Then wait for a few mintues . preferrably even rotate the crank for a couple of rounds. then the gap should be 1.9-2.3.

3. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand

So i' m trying to understand the sequence.

The pin is still in the tensioner .
    The 17mm Bolt is slightly loose,.
    I tighten the belt by moving the bearing clockwise using 2 screw drivers (did not have the special tool to tighten it).
    I now measure the gap at 2mm and then tighten the bolt.

Since the pin is still in the tensioner the pulley bearing comes back and the gap reduces to around 1mm.

Am I supposed to remove the pin and measure the 2mm while the bearing casing is under pressure? i would have thought that the pin is only inserted to help swap the belt but the WSM is not explicit in the instructions (Mine is missing a page in between )

Tks

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    When the tension is correct, it is a common belief that the pin will be loose with it installed in the tensioner body. There may be a slight drag, but it will be loose enough to where you can pull it out. Your steps are correct from my memory. Once you set the initial clearance the way you did, rotate the engine. Some sources say twice, some say more. Some sources say wait two minutes following that for the tensioner to settle after rotating to check the final clearance. Some have had better luck checking the final clearance BEFORE two minutes are up. Check the harmonics of the belt to see if it's within spec too. Again, some do this, some don't. Sounds like a lot of voodoo magic.

The pin is used to hold the hydraulic pin during shipping but it is also used to set the initial clearance as described in the manuals. If you have pages missing, I would try to find that or download another copy or download Black360's writeup before going further just to be safe. Not sure which page you are missing, but it could be critical.

5. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Many thanks.

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

no. the pin should never be in place when you are trying to find the correct belt tension. If you are using the "gap" method, then the only way to do it, is to wait a few min and see if the gap is 1.9-2.3mm, if not, rotate the pulley again to adjust it. in the whole course of these actions, the pin shouldn't be there. but to each his own, other methods, such as "pin-in" method could be ok as well, but i never know.

7. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Ok, tks, Makes sense nowas with the pin in, the pulley carrier was free to move. Will tryvthis method later today and see the results.

Tks