360 starter problem | FerrariChat

360 starter problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by 3s-ge, Mar 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The car stood for 8 months under the cover, when I go to start engine, I heard the click-click-click of the starter, in the process of finding out there was a reason a weak ground on the retractor, which goes from the ignition switch, fast looking on the wiring diagram did not give a new idea where problem can be. Has anyone encountered this? where is the reason? The ignition switch or maybe some electronic unit, such as Immo

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check battery

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Again...problem with weak ground!

when i added ground to the connector which goes to the starter, the problem goes away.

4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    check wiring diagrams...lots of ground points to tighten and check. Also, the cable at alternator comes loose but more of a charging issue there.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    it's not so easy, try to find the ground points of the ignition switch

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Brett gave you the answer. These cars have issues with grounds and good mechanics check them every time they service the car, plus the alternator cable. There is a thread here where I think Trev posted a pic with the ground points circled in red.

7. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Where? Do you the link?

8. MCASEY

MCASEY Rookie

Apr 1, 2015
    Sydney Australia
  9. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    still try to find solution with the start problem, all the masses checked and updated it did not solve the problem. I found what the problem is, the problem is the ground on this pin, it controls the starter relay, it is it that makes the relay turn on and off several times a second, if you apply a constant ground to this pin, the problem goes away, the car starts perfectly. anyone have any ideas?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wait, are you saying your starter turns slowly while the battery is good?
    that's a classic problem with starters. Replace it.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Start with an ohm meter. Go across the connector and see if you get intermittent connection when you wiggle the wire. If that works, I am guessing it will, the problem is in your wiring harness so start tracing it back to it's ground point.

KC360 FL likes this.
  12. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
  13. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    but if the battery charge is up to 13-14 volts, then the car starts up, the car stay for 1-2 days, the voltage drops to 11.5-12 V and the starter does not work again, it should be charged to the maximum and it will start. IF the battery is discharged and connected the GROUND on the relay, then the start will be even on a weak battery

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So you are chasing this all wrong. You do not have a relay problem. You have a parasitic draw issue. Something is pulling your battery down. Go through the fuse boxes, pull each fuse and measure the draw across on that circuit. You need to find what circuit is drawing the current.

2NA and EastMemphis like this.
  15. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    anybody have any advanced ideas other than replacing the battery?

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd go with Skidkid's advice. Typically, problems with parasitic draw are due to aftermarket gizmos hung onto the car improperly, a failing (or failed) immobilizer, and a perhaps a number of other things. Best thing to do is find out where the draw is coming from and chase it from there. It's quite easy to check fuses for current using a "current loop" and a "current clamp meter". Cheap stuff to find expensive problems.

Here's a current loop if you've never seen one:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Very easy to use. Just take out the fuse, put it into the loop, put the loop into the fuse slot and measure the current running through the red loop with a current meter.

Unlike simple common cars, the Ferrari 360 (and all Ferrari's probably) require nearly perfect battery voltage and amps to operate correctly. If your battery drops below 12v, forget it. Things start to malfunction, mysterious codes start cropping up and parts can be ruined. Get a battery minder and use it religiously.

17. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    no one here understands the difference between the voltage of the generator and the battery?

please re-read about grounding!!!

18. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    let's close the battery issue, it's not that

19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Try leaving car on battery tender. See if prob goes away

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It would appear that you don't. No generator, there is a alternator. To make it as simple as possible: Alternator open loop is about 14V, NOTE: that is after the regulator. Add a load and it drops to something in the 13.5V range. For example, the battery may be at 11.8V. That would pull the regulator down but it would still be more than 11.8 and the balance would be dropped over the length of the cable. The battery is a big capacitor and voltage will increase as it accumulates charge. The internal condition of the battery impacts how it charges or discharges. How a battery works is even more complicated so I will leave that alone for now.

If you want to solve this do it systematically. Poking around a piece at a time is not going to get you there any time soon. We gave you good advice, use it or not. Your choice.

KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    NOTE: I just noticed I wrote ohm meter. To be clear, I was talking about a digital multi-meter but you need to measure current, not resistance. There is a setting for that.

22. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    close the battery theme. it's not my problem. the problem is the ground supply from the TCU to the starter relay.

23. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    the starter always has a 12-13.8v. but this wire feeds the ground from the TCU to the starter relay, and the ground on it disappears. if it is forcibly connect to the ground, the car starts well!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    the starter relay which is located near the fuses

25. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex