360 Start engine without calipers? | FerrariChat

360 Start engine without calipers?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LP360, Apr 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Dumb question

My 360 brake calipers are in for refurb and I have capped my brake lines but due to the current situation with Covid19 things are taking a while. My question is can I start the car to keep things ticking over while waiting for them to be finished as long as I don't touch the brake pedal? Or is it a big no no?

Cheers.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try shifting to neutral and see if she will start. In gear, she may want to see the brake pedal switch depressed.

Skidkid likes this.
  3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Yes you can start the engine and No, don't touch the brake pedal!
    The brake system is an independent closed circuit not connected to the engine.
    (Unless your AC or your power steering that have pumps driven by the crankshaft through some belts)

As to what Taz is eluding to: My gated car will crank without pushing on the brake or the clutch while in Neutral. I'll have to assume that a F1 car in neutral would do the same but maybe not....

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Reminder: Brake pedal pushed = brake pedal switch un-depressed ;)

Un-depressing closes the switch electrically.

This means you need a jumper wire to complete the circuit (if you can't push the brake pedal)

LP360 likes this.
  5. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks for the replies, luckily I left the car in neutral before removing the calipers so no need to touch the brake pedal.

fotostars likes this.
  6. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    All started no issues, didn't need touch the pedal as cranked turn of the key and got up to temp, thanks again just always worth checking with these cars lol

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

fotostars likes this.