360 Spider top won't retract | FerrariChat

360 Spider top won't retract

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jerryf, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    After regrettably demolishing my beautiful 328, I purchased a 360 Spider. One of it's problems is that the top won't fully retract. It looks like fabric from the middle fold is binding against the top of the compartment. Occasionally it behaves if I push the first fold over my head back while it is folding. I read somewhere there is a section of elastic inside meant to tug this material into a more compact fold. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, how did you correct it? Thanks....

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Typical problem that virtually every 360 and 430 Spider will or has experienced. Your elastic bands are likely worn out. There are 14 of them that need to be changed like they were tires, about every seven years. Rubber expires.

Very DIY, or you can bring it to the F dealer for a $15,000 new top (not including labor).

This thread goes into great depth on the topic:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/fixing-convertible-top-bar-elastic.627798/

3. jerryf

jerryf Rookie

Aug 1, 2007
    Altoona, PA
    Very informative but I don't think it's a DIY for me. Engine work? Sure. Most everything else? Sure. This top? I'm gonna need help! Thanks.