360 Oil Pressure unit only one wire | FerrariChat

360 Oil Pressure unit only one wire

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Noticed my oil pressure unit only has one wire going into it, the readings aren't crazy but erratic at times.I am also not seeing an additional wire that should go into it hanging around. Does anyone have a picture of their 360 oil pressure sender unit they could take a picture of?

2. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't have a picture, but there should only be one wire on there, that is correct.

3. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    One wire, to terminal labelled "G" on the sensor. The sensor part is used across a lot of models and some older cars use 2 wires but ours are smart enough to only need one (the second terminal illuminates the low pressure oil light on the dash in older non-digital dash cars).

The cause of the erratic gauge is usually the sensor failing. It's easily replaced if you take the oil filter off - either buy the Ferrari part or there's a few threads on here detailing an aftermarket part and a thread adaptor.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There will only be 1 wire, and a picture may not tell you much as 2 the 2 terminals have 2 different functions-signal and ground. The ground terminal is common to the body of the sender, and when screwed into the housing, is grounded there, so it does not need anything connected to it. The best way to differentiate is to grab a meter and measure the resistance between the body and the terminal. 1 will have almost NO resistance, this is the ground, that will not need connected. The other will have some, and I don't remember the actual number right now, but that is your signal.

It's not necessary to remove the oil filter, you can get to it just fine using a 24mm thin bike wrench...

550nitis likes this.
  5. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It's not quite a ground terminal, rather it's a switch to ground that closes at low oil pressure. When the car fires up the terminal goes open circuit under normal oil pressure conditions. When removed from the car it will also appear as if it is connected to the body of the sensor, but it's actually a switch.

To be clear for everyone with a 355/360 follow the markings on the oil pressure sensor as below:
    Terminal labeled "G" - connects to the signal wire. (Resistance will measure between 10-180 ohms depending on oil pressure).
    Terminal labeled "WK" - warning light switch, left unconnected. (When pressure is bigger than 11psi, the WK switch will be open; When pressure is smaller than 11psi, the WK switch will be closed or connected to ground.)

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I read awhile back that there is a silicon sock available to protect the sensor from the engine heat. Any idea as to where I can get one?

7. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
  8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That makes sense..thanks for the clarification.

Yes, Ricambi. I used one when I replaced my sensor a year or 2 ago...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My sensor is a VDO with the adapter, not the OEM Ferrari unit. Would the sock fit?

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, the body of the sender is the same. It is a tight fit though...

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks to everyone. I'll give it a try.

13. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Is there any difference in using the VDO with the adaptor or the OEM Ferrari part?

14. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    No, so long as you get the correct VDO gauge with 10-180 ohm output.