360 - 360 Misfire Issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360 Misfire Issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aeron Fout, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    So I just received 2 brand new mass air flow sensors and installed them on my 360. The misfire issue was not resolved. I have just ordered 8 new coil packs and hopefully that will do the trick. It is definitely not a fuel delivery problem, as I can smell very rich unspent fuel in the engine bay after cranking over. It seems to me that the entire passenger side of the engine is not getting any spark, but is getting plenty of fuel. Does anyone think this could be an ECU problem?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Only you can answer that question. Swap left and right bank ecu’s and see if the problem occurs on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Didn't you test by swapping the maf and you saw the problem move ? Strange that now it didn't have any effect now after you replaced

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I didn’t realize they were interchangeable. I may give that a try if the coil packs don’t fix anything.

5. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Yes I did. As you can imagine, I’m scratching my head a little at this point. I hate just throwing new parts at something trying to isolate an issue. Hopefully the coil packs will give me some good results.

6. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Possibly a silly question, but did you reset the ECUs after changing out the MAFs? I cleared all the codes on mine with a handheld scanner, but turning the battery switch off for awhile should clear/reset everything as well.

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Really good point. Also have you verified the connections to the MAF s

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just about to say that ..maybe it still using the old fuel/air values .. but normally it adjusts pretty quickly

I don't recall ..did you pull all plugs out and examine them ..i thought I had mentioned that ..but that could have been another thread

By looking at plugs you can also narrow things down ..

Aeron Fout likes this.
  9. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I did cycle the battery off to clear everything after replacing the MAFs and there is currently no check engine light, but the car is still only running on 4 cylinders. I also cleaned the MAF connectors before plugging in with electronic connector cleaner. I’m going to take all the plugs out and give them a look as soon as I get a chance.

10. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Here I am to revive an old topic. My 360 is still only running on the left 4 cylinders. The strange thing is now all the misfire codes are gone and I’m getting a P1630 and a P0071 code from the right bank ECU.

So far I’ve replaced all 8 coil packs and both MAF’s. I’ve also ruled out the immobilizer system. I’m getting ready to replace both fuel pumps and all 4 rollover valves mostly for preventative maintenance, but half hoping they’re part of the problem.

My local independent Ferrari mechanic seems to think the problem is with the thermocouple control module and probe for the catalyst system. Does this seem reasonable? I’ve already swapped the thermocouple modules side to side with no change in results. It’s worth noting the car has a Capristo system with no cats. I suppose the previous owner had the emissions system tuned out of the ecus.

If anyone has ever experienced similar issues please feel free to chime in. I’m beyond frustrated at this point after the car being out of service for 2 months. I’m just about ready to trailer it to my independent mechanic and cough up the repair bill, but after having rebuilt this whole car myself I’m having a hard time letting go.

Thanks, Aeron

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Where did you buy coils from? Unless you bought from Ricambi Maranello etc you may have counterfeit coil and unless you put them on oscillator scope you will not know.

A good Indy mechanic should have oscillator scope to read output of coils

12. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I took the chance and bought them on eBay after reading that several other members here had gone the same route with good results. They are factory Bosch with exact matching part numbers to the original coils.

13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    What did you do to 'cycle the battery off'? Did you just turn the main battery switch OFF then ON?
    In our cars the word 'cycle' has its own meaning and what needs to be done. Lots of threads about this.
    If it was me I would turn it off, leave it overnight to erase previous parameters and perform the 'cycle'

" ......Resetting the ECU shall be done when new parts are fitted such as new maf(s), spark plugs, exhaust components, injectors, etc. This is to clear the stored trim information and to allow the ECU to relearn its parameters with the new parts fitted.............Once the ECU has been cleared of its information then a specific procedure needs to be performed in order to ensure the ECU, and other systems in the car, are able to operate properly. The most comprehensive reset will occur when the engine is stone cold ........."

As suggested by 360Trev in a post way way back, "........... This procedure is ensuring that the maf or motorized throttle bodies and flaps have enough time to reset properly and that the engine re-learns its adaptive parameters. When starting after a battery reset (say overnight) turn off the AC & Radio, turn on the Ignition switch and wait for 30 seconds then turn it off for 30 seconds and then back on. After the Check OK light comes on start the car and let it idle for at least 10 mins with no input. Do not touch anything. Try and wait until you hear the LHS rad fan cycle. Turn on the AC and Radio and drive it for at least 20 to 30 mins gently. Should be ok after that......."

If you've already done that then np. Just trying to help.

Aeron Fout and EastMemphis like this.
  14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    And they are probably counterfeit. A friend recently bought some and it didn’t solve problem. After having it professionally diagnosed turn out it was the coils . These coils matched genuine ones exactly. Turns out internal elements are not the same.

15. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I’ve done the stone cold engine overnight reset process several times now with no luck. I’ve also reset / cleared all the codes on the problem ECU with my scan tool.

16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Can you ask your friend what was done to professionally diagnose bad internals on an otherwise good looking Bosch coil ?

Aeron Fout likes this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would check the primary and secondary resistance with a good multimeter and compare to one of good known condition..this is not a guarantee but most will show a bad coil

19. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Did you ever get around to simply swapping l and r ecu’s?

20. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf

I have been told that you should not switch left & right side ECUs. Supposedly if you switch sides then they will reconfigure once, but will cause problems if you switch back again. Don't know this for sure, but I’m hesitant to try it.

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m no pro. If I’m wrong I’d like to know. With that said, only the right ecu controls the immobilizer. under normal circumstances the firmware of the two ecu’s should be identical. If for some reason the left ecu has been replaced with some other random 360 ecu and is not identical to the right, then the car won’t be able to be started with the ecu’s swapped. Highly doubt this.

Do a search about swapping the ecu’s before believing hearsay. Unless of course the source is a respected member with knowledge of the ecu’s. I can think of a few experts on this board.

Here are a couple of threads that may be informative.

360 ECUs
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/360-ECUs.548642/

The next thread is a Good fob thread especially post 11. Taz is an excellent source and his advice along with Trev, and a number of others are excellent sources. You may need to fiddle with the fobs (see my links below) until communication is made with the immobilizer. Also if you have the red master fob life will be easier.

Please explain the 360 key game..
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Please-explain-the-360-key-game%2E%2E.230917/

I Look at the engine As two 4cylinder engines. If one bank isn’t running well then unless all 4 coils simultaneously went which would highly unlikely, I doubt it’s a coil problem. There are many parts that can for diagnostic purposes be swapped one bank to the other.

Btw if you think it’s the fuel pump I’d Put a fuel pressure gauge on before replacing parts. Seems like you are not doing proper diagnostics and throwing parts at it. You can definitely solve this or at least come closer if you are pragmatic.

I am not being judgmental of you just trying to help.

EastMemphis likes this.
  22. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Ok after some investigation I believe this is the answer.

See post 118 by 360trev. If you swap the ecu’s the left which is moved to the right and now becomes the master and can’t be moved to a different car as a slave.

360 spider won't rev when rolling
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/360-spider-won%27t-rev-when-rolling.527602/

23. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Thank you for all your links and research. I’ve been reading through them and I now have a better understanding on how the ECU swapping works.

As for my replacing of parts that may not fix the problem. I’ve been contemplating replacing the fuel pumps for preventative maintenance for a little while, so I’m just doing them both while the car is down. I plan to keep this car for a long time and put a lot more miles on it, so my mindset is the more new or rebuilt parts I install now, the better off I am for the future.

She’s got almost 50k miles now, so it’s probably about time to be replacing pumps and other life limited items.

Thanks!
    Aeron