360 - Heat Exchanger Leak? Gearbox/Coolant | Page 4 | FerrariChat

360 - Heat Exchanger Leak? Gearbox/Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FerrariDublin, Feb 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    US$430 each? That really is hard to stomach. Thankfully mine were in very good shape, very pliable, so much so it never occurred to me to replace them (and they haven't leaked either thank goodness!)

You mention removing the water pump in order to access the exchanger. Are you replacing from within the car via the engine hatch? It's been reported to me that it's possible to do this but I find it very difficult to understand how one could possibly apply sufficient torque to the various fasteners without first removing the manifold.

2. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I've cut open several, all of which have had the same deposits.
    It's an electrolytic reaction, caused by the antifreeze breaking down. Bentley also suffered similar issues years ago with the heater matrix. It was deemed that coolant change intervals not being adhered to were the cause.

3. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes i am going through the hatch. Quite doable. The only issue is undoing the gearbox oil lines, but that could be overcome by undoing the connections at the gearbox end and pulling the exchanger out with the lines attached. I had to open the hatch anyway to trace the leak which seemed to come from that area. This procedure is posted as is in the workshop manual. The coupling clamps on the exchanger are easily accessible for removal and re-tightening.

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's a shame really that Ferrari don't actually specify the regularity of coolant changes. It's such a low cost, low hassle thing to do, versus the potential downside of the leak ........ and I say this having gotten away without any apparent damage to the gearbox. I've no doubt that a less mechanically sympathetic owner than me might well have driven on for some time without noticing the problem and I shudder to think of the potential damage to the gearbox.

Alex, thanks for posting back. Haha! RTFM! :D As you say, releasing the hoses from the other end is the key. Clearly I was on a one-track thought-path when I tackled this job.

For those that follow in our footsteps, would you advise going in from the top as I did (with the advantage of renewing the manifold gaskets while doing so) or through the engine hatch by removing the water pump?

5. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Going from the top and removing the intake manifonld seemed more of a hassle for me, but that's my opinion. I was less comfortable in removing all that surrounds the manifold and also having to work from the top, bent over on the finishing of the car, even if it is protected. My car is at home on a 4 post lift which makes it even higher off the ground, so I have easier access from underneath and the hatch. I did the major last year so I was quite comfortable working from there. Removing the waterpump wasn't so bad. I do like to follow the procedures outlined in the WSM and access via the manifold is not mentioned. All that is mentioned is the procedure I followed or access from the rear plenum.

6. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    #81 mike01606, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    This thread has been a really good read. Thanks for posting Greg.

I picked up on this issue appearing quite common last year and added a check of the coolant reservoir to my pre-flight checks. A regular coolant change is now on the cards.

When discussing service items with my tech at the last service he also recommended regular gearbox oil changes as it is often significantly discoloured when drained down indicating it gets a hard life. Maybe a bit OTT but with the miles I plan to do, the cost of a gearbox oil change isn't close to a single tank of fuel (UK) so I will now have it done annually rather than two yearly.

The build up appears to be in the oil circuit and the water circuit looks relatively clear although with some signs of corrosion (the chalky deposits). IMO This could be the oil breaking down from contamination with leaking coolant over time. These things could pin-hole and leak for years before it became bad enough to really show.

Finally, If they have used dissimilar metals for the tubes (copper) and housing (brass) then this is just an issue waiting to happen. Fatigue will cause these to fail in time no matter what.

7. F 355

F 355 Rookie

Jun 7, 2004
    I would like to buy 1 of this Heat exchanger for my 360. Anybody recommend Where I can get it from?

8. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Mr cool will make you one, send them old and they dupe it.
    I heard that a oem cooler was about $950...
    Bet they can make you one for less.

9. F 355

F 355 Rookie

Jun 7, 2004
    Thanks so much Zcobra1. Do you have any Mr. Cool's contact ? Since I really don't have his contact. Thank you very big.

10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Google.....Mrcool heat exchangers.....mrcool.us

11. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

I have heat exchangers....what are you looking for??

PM me

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If US based you'll get it from Ricambi America, if EU based Eurospares - Part No. 180846

13. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Has anyone installed this aftermarket part?

Dynamic Technology Group

I am thinking of having my water pump rebuilt and getting this heat exchanger part replaced at the same time at my next annual as a preventative. If switching to a tranny cooler is a better way to go, would do that. But would like to know if it's been done successfully.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    First of all, never heard of it. Second, It's almost 3x the price of an OEM heat exchanger on eurospares. My car has 56k miles on it. If the coolant is replaced regularly, it shouldn't fail. And if it does replace it, do a few flushes of coolant and transmission oil respectively. Heck I might even add some detergent to the system and recirculate it. To rebuild a tranny after is equivalent to redoing your hardwood floor if you spill some engine oil on it IMHO.

15. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Search on here for comments, I believe Brian Crall was particularly scathing...

16. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good to see you're "keeping your hand in" Aldous! :) Hope you're back in action shortly.

Agree with comments above though regarding the alternatives. My car did 13 years and a "Ferrari" lifetime of motoring before that part failed. In my mind there was absolutely no argument but to replace it with the same.

Additionally, I feel that the heat exchanger system used by Ferrari also assists with getting gearbox oil up to temperature whereas the alternative would only be of assistance for cooling.

17. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
  18. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You know, I thought there was potential in that!!! I haven't been doing too much browsing of late and so it's no surprise I missed the update.

Great news and congratulations even if you did go and buy the big brother and then committed the cardinal sin of electing for F1! :)

At least you went for a proper man's car this time though, leave the rag-tops to the girls I say! :D :Flame Suit On: :D

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Very nice choice! I had to go back and read about what happened to the 360. I think you made a nice upgrade!

20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #95 English Rebel, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just read through this post. One question, looking at the attached diagram wouldn't it be possible to access the cooler from below as it's just aft of the water pump or is the exhaust manifold in the way?
    Thanks
    Alan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Its actually hidden beneath the air intake. The Red covers and air intake tubes on top of the engine.. if you take a flashlight, its beneath it in between the "V" in the top of the engine. Just two hose clamps, well four if you take off and replace the connecting tubing while you're at it. The problem is access.

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It's in a very crowded place. A lot needs to come off to access it.

23. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you check out Alex360's prior posts he details carrying out replacement via the engine hatch, having removed the water pump first.

It never occurred to me to go that route but it might be a handier way. I'd have thought it very tight to work in there and release the clamps etc but Alex said he managed it ok.

Of course, going in from the top allows one to renew the base gaskets on the inlet manifold which are a regular enough failure item on the car so that's a positive reason for doing it that way.

24. walterlizard

walterlizard Rookie

Mar 27, 2014
    Folks,

I have been reading the posts in this thread and truly appreciate all of the great feedback and advice. I had the exchanger problem in my 360 and discovered it last week. I have been researching on how to resolve the problem and decided to go through the firewall hole to replace. That was definitely the right choice because it was not hard to remove the water pump which is right in front of the exchanger. The only challenge was removing the hoses connected to the water pump behind.

I also removed the seats in the car to make it easy to access everything.

The oil in the cooling system drains out easily. I was worried I would have gunk all over but the oil flows out without a problem. I just used water as all of the plugs were open and the oil poured out.

Now that I know the gig it is a 2 hr job to do it all but the first time is a 4 hr job.

Walter

25. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Glad to hear you were able to do the job as I did through the firewall. I know it's a PITA to remove the clamps and oil hose fittings, but I' d rather do that then work from the top and get a migraine from the blood rushing to my head and risk scratching the paint.