360 engine— bore? | FerrariChat

360 engine— bore?

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Jan 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Anyone ever bore a 360 engine and fit w larger pistons for more displacement?

I suspect stoker is out of the question w piston speed at 8500.

Or is the solution simply more rpm and better breathing?

what is the highest hp 360 naturally aspirated and boosted?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I drove a car that had the heads redone and as I recall, they took off .020 or .030. I can tell you that the little added compression made that car really fast compared to others I drove. If you have it apart it is easy and fairly cheap.

one4torque and pilotoCS like this.
  3. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't think they make it anymore

As part of this process TODA Racing is delighted to announce the launch of a ‘stroker’ kit for the F131B model of the Ferrari F360, which enlarges capacity from 3586cc to 3960cc and raises power from 426 PS up to 515 PS.

The heart of the TODA Racing F360 increased capacity conversion is a specially designed forged steel 85mm stroke crankshaft (standard stroke is 77mm,) which is used in conjunction with forged alloy high compression pistons in either 85mm or 86mm diameter. The volumetric efficiency is enhanced by way of high lift/long duration camshafts with adjustable pulleys, uprated valve springs and solid lifters, and the engine reliability is improved with heavy duty bearings, gaskets, cam belt and idlers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dbdreams and one4torque like this.
  4. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    one4torque likes this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    That toda racing kit is interesting!

Wonder what they sold for.

anyone drive one?

6. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    360 GTC unrestricted made 550bhp naturally aspirated. 3.6 litre. Cams, compression, revs and race gas I assume.

Skidkid and one4torque like this.
  7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Wonder why f restricted the Modena and cs hp so much from the factory?

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That's easy, reliability, drivability, and maintenance. It is a street car not a race car. For that power they made a race car.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Your 360 has wet liners and there are pretty strict limitations on how much you could bore those liners without losing structural integrity. Not sure if anybody, even Ferrari, makes oversize liners, and that is why you see stroke kits instead of bore kits. Those liners are hard to find and common to the 348, F355, and 360.

one4torque likes this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Taz- At 8500rpm how much piston speed can you get away with with longer stroke?

second question— are there any gains to be had porting the tall lower intake legs??

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me, but there are all kinds of undersquare engines now with high rev limits, like Lamborghinis. Huracans have 84.5 mm x 92.8 mm bore and stroke dimensions, decidedly undersquare, and peak power is at 8250 rpm.

On the porting, you would need to ask one of our pros.

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Longer stroke puts more pressure sideways on the bore with the increased rod angle. I would prefer more revs over a longer stroke.
    On porting the intake, every part of the engine has to match every other part of the engine, especially in a naturally aspirated engine. More compression, more cam, more fuel, more revs, then yes more port/intake volume too. But increasing the port/intake on a stock 360 will kill the air speed and you will go backwards. Ferrari got everything matched perfectly to get the 400hp reliably from 3.6 litres. To get significant gains everything has to change.

DonBecker and Apollo 11 like this.
  14. duck.co.za

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 duck.co.za, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Ferrari made two types of inlet plenums , or that is how I understand it . Possibly just a cost saving measure in the manufacturing process . I would assume the one to be superior , but I may be wrong . The one has beautifully machined independent inlet trumpets on the mouths of the variable length inlet ports inside the plenums , while the other the trumpets are just machined directly into the inlet plenum casting . If your car didn't have the independent trumpet plenum , possibly that would be a place to start ?
    Aldous Voice has a great article on how the plenums work , well worth a read . I borrowed one of the pics from his article .

Attached Files: