360 Dash Stretch | FerrariChat

360 Dash Stretch

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by sherrillt, Nov 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I have some minor dash shrinkage on my 360 dash and was looking for recommendation of a shop in Northern Virginia that could possibly do a restretch job.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I used Lim's for work on my XKR. They have a Chantilly and Tysons location. Very happy with the results and decent prices.

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Oddly the guys at Lim's (both locations) claim it cannot be done?!? From what i recall it's a common fix.

Are they just trying to sell me a recover?

4. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Lim's would have been my first recommendation as well. You may want to give Metro Leather a call. They do leather repair work on Ferrari's & Lamborghini's. http://www.metroleather.com or give them a call at 703-450-6566.

Bill P.

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I suspect you may need a recover rather than a restretching of the leather.

The shrinkage is typical of leather on 360, 430, and 550 dashes. Probably a lot of other models too.

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks Bill - I left them a message.

Ron, Yes I have seen the issue actually on many cars not just late Ferrrai's - it was common 348/355's, Porsches, Astons, my Fisker had it on the passenger airbag cover (replaced under warrnaty), and several different brands of cars in hotter climates report dash issues so shinkage and fixing it is nothing new.

In my case, I doubt I need a full recover is needed (pure speculation) as it's only some bubbling/shrinkage around the sensor that sits in the center of the pad. There is no actual end separation or visible extremes of staples popped. Over the years I have glanced at posts/comments on various forums/sites regarding getting a dash restretched, but never paid much attention since it wasn't something I was dealing with and assumed restretch was a common solution.

No that it is my issue I am puzzled that a claimed reputable shop is saying retretching leather isn't even possible.

7. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had this same issue on my 456 dash. No one wants to re-stretch, because it takes a lot of effort to attempt and may not work. From the shop's perspective, it's a big risk of the customer not being satisfied and shop not getting paid. Old leather is not ductile at all, so it isn't likely to stretch. The leather that came of the 456 dash was very dry and not stretchable at all.

8. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I had shrinkage on my 360 dash as well and there was no re-stretching option presented to me. (At a shop recommended by Algar Ferrari up in PA called Futureline). I opted to have it recovered in alcantera instead of leather though, as alcantera does not shrink.