360 Cam Seal change/engine in car | FerrariChat

360 Cam Seal change/engine in car

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by plahaye, Mar 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plahaye

plahaye Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    S La. swamp
    Full Name:
    Phil LaHaye
    How difficult is it to pull the cam covers and cams with the engine in the car? Seems like it would be difficult to get to the nuts on the cam bearings to tq them to spec unless you have tiny arms and hands. Must not be that hard as the manual mentions nothing special and You Tube videos mention pulling the cams while going into great detail about timing marks, cutting the cam seals just so, etc, but little is said about the process of pulling the cams.
    I know a lot of you have done it before and I have on many other motors but not the 360. YET!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What is it that makes you think any single part of the operation is easier with the motor out?

Or, that anything is difficult with the motor in?

If you are not removing the heads there is zero reason to remove the motor.....ever.

3. plahaye

plahaye Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    S La. swamp
    Full Name:
    Phil LaHaye
    Not considering puling motor. I guess you are saying it is not hard to do with the motor in. Just looks like working under the upper frame rails would make it difficult but based on the tone of your reply, it must be easy.
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The frame is bolted in for a reason.