355, when can one really afford? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355, when can one really afford?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferraridreamer32, Dec 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #76 johnk..., Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    I enquired with the
    I also contacted the seller about the cold oil pressure. His answer,
    Ask anyone here if that seems normal. And the gauge is not reading "low"' It's reading zero. Could be an gauge problem, but.....

He sent me a link to many more pictured which I downloaded and examined closely. You do not want this car, particularly if it's you first Ferrari.

Records appear to indicate the engine was rebuilt by some shot in FL 4/2010 $32k, and then again by Ferrari of Tampa Bay 6/2011 $38k.

2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Affording the car isn't the issue, on paper you're fine. But I don't think I'd take a chance on a 10-owner, repeatedly publicly-flogged (and documented for posterity), dodgy-seller Ferrari for a first Ferrari. You really can do better. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, some nice examples of 355s have shown up recently.

3. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    If that guy thinks that the oil pressure is normal at Zero when idling, then he doesn't have a clue. The oil pressure is usually above the middle when the oil is cold. This car may be a turd.

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    "Oil Pressure at base idle when cold often shows very low - it comes up with temp and RPM."

PASS.

That statement is so wrong...

sjd

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

If u don’t buy it share the details I’m sure many would love to buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Let me say form the get go, I don't think the owner is trying to hide anything, but caveat emptor . The link he gave my had 90 high res photos of the car along with the records and car fax. Someone spent a lot of money try to get the motor back together. No mention of what the failure was. Maybe just beat and abused. Also, while Car Fax states 10 owners I'm not sure that is correct. But it's been around for sure.

Some details for you. In April, 2009 the car had a major at The Auto Legend, Inc. in FL,$16,284. Then in June, 2009 same shop for speed sensor, plugs and some actuator, $$2745. Then in that shop again in July, 2009 for some brake and steering work, $2457. The motor was rebuilt in April, 2010 by the same shop in FL total $32496. There is also a bill for a major in April 2010 for $8440 for other parts. Then in July 2010 the same shop did the guides, total $9515, but they gave a $6000 discount, so net $3516. Based on the price of the guided, they were not the Ferrari sintered steel guides. Why guides weren't done when the engine was rebuilt is questionable. According to those records, the engine was filled with 10W30 oil which is the wrong type. That shop is, apparently, no longer in business. Then it appears the car was delivered to Ferrari of Tampa Bay on December, 2010 and delivered back to the owner on June, 2011 with another engine rebuild, total $38881. Ferrari of Tampa bay did not do the guides again, but did dissemble the heads and checked according to the invoice. There is nothing about challenge ECUs or tuning, unless I missed it. The most recent record I was sent is from February, 2017 for a major plus stuff at Foreign Cars Italia, $8979.

Pictures show lots in need. Driver's seat leather is shot. While switches and door handles seem refinished, dash vents appear to be sticky. Oddly enough, there is a document for an inspection company, dated 2/2014, 29930 miles that claims "seats and carpet in perfect condition". Not the case today, anyway.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is true, at least 10 people have loved to buy it already. Just a thought... Contact previous owners before buying. You'd be surprised how many cars I ruled out tracking down and talking to previous short term owners of cars. Some were ex-fchatters. Not that hard to do.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Having examined all the pictures and the records I have I'd buy it for $45k.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Attached Files:

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m no 355 expert but is this salvageable or it’s messed up for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
    No answer from seller for several days after asking for ppi. Not saying he’s hiding anything but that’s not a good sign. Buyer beware. It should be expected on this kind of car that a ppi will be done shouldn’t be a surprised to the seller