355 throttle bodies on 348 project | Page 23 | FerrariChat

355 throttle bodies on 348 project

Discussion in '348/355' started by plugzit, Oct 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

PM me your number so I can call you and abuse you goth. :D:D

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #552 gothspeed, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can give you Cindy's #. She will be showing the importance of the American Flag when you get to Southern California ;) !!! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Harold

Harold F1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Singapore/Australia
    Unichip the piggy back system was brought into the States by the Racers Group and dubbed the ProGram and used by a lot of Porsche guys.

4. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey Oz....I know it is important but is it necessary??????....lol

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yes!!! She is perfect!!! :D :D

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm talking about the necessity of her wearing a flag or anything to be more specefic...lol

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Damn rules :mad:!!! ;) :D

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Well, I'm making progress-slowly. I received the SMT6s, two of them, from IDA Automotive yesterday, along with a wiring diagram Bob there developed from the schematic I provided him. Spent a few hours staring at the wiring, then a few more staring at the car. When I finally put together the plan for wiring and bracketry, I made some brackets for the boxes and mounted them. Let's see, baleing wire-check, duct tape-check, zipties-check, fire extinguisher-check. Ok, all ready. Several wires will be t'd into, one wire cut in my precious Ferrari wiring harness. Where to cut and t? After a couple hours of staring at that, no decision yet. Gotta be someplace neat and inconspicuous as well as easy to repair properly when the time comes. Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow. Then gotta get Gothspeed to take a day off work and bring his laptop so we can do some tuning. I guess dyno day won't be til next week. 'Long as it's done for the Fchat party, I'll be happy. Gotta have stacks sticking out of the bonnet by then.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It's a Stooge thing. I would like to come down and play but I have other issues I'm dealing with. Just tore apart the engine in my Integra, and it is SHOT. I pulled the head of this morning and the pistons are history. So I gotta finish dealing with that before I can come play. Sorry Plugs I would really have liked to have gone down and helped you finish this thing. Give Ozzy a nuggy for me, and the ol' Stooge double eye poke. :p

10. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Serious bummer-too much nitro?

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nope a bad head gasket.

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    On a Honda?! No way. You either let the oil drain while running it hard or kept your NOS button depressed too long. :p White smoke, then black - oops.

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It had over 272,000 miles on it.

14. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That is more miles than this whole 348/355 section has on our f-cars combined!!! :p

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Wow that's around the world like 10 times! How anyone in LA can drive that far is amazing! My 1985 Prelude had 200K miles and my niece blew the head gasket as well as the entire lower end by draining the oil on a drive. Red light, what red light? Oh, is that what that means? Honda engines are cheap. Just get a replacement for $600 - unless it's a VVTi engine in which case u bend over and grab your ankles.

16. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Well, the wiring is done, except for hooking up the switched power wire. I think I'll make a separate switch for it, thus making the car immobile unless the new brains are turned on with the "secret switch". Let's hope it fires. Gotta put the airboxes back on before changing so as to compare the signal from the maf and the map, program the boxes. Probably tomorrow or Saturday. Any Stooges gonna be around?

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well other than taking glamour shots of my 355........ what time??

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yeah that's the way I'm leaning. It's not a VTEC, so I'm not gonna have to worry about the price. It's a B18A block, so I should be able to find a used one pretty cheap.

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Aaaaaaaahhh MAAAAANNNN!

You know I would be there Plugz, but I gotta get this thing finished. So no Stooge in for me. :(
    Call up fatboy and see if he'll go over.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm here and available. I'm buttoning up my engine today. It is back in the racecar and I am just reconnecting stuff. Come on by and help me bleed my brakes and clutch I need another foot. Is it a pizza day? If Vince comes over we will have to go for good food no subway. I can fire up the bar b que. call me guys I'm in the garage now.

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    ND says the 2.7 motronic has a watchdog babysitter in there when it senses the parameters out fo wack. If you do the piggy back to trick the ECU's fuel trim and or ignition won't the babysitter kick in and default to the eprom trim? Did you ask ND before you started this?

22. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The watchdog timer is for firmware programming errors on the chip itself (programmers aren't perfect, after all). That watchdog kicks in about the time that you'd see the Microsoft Windows "blue screen of death," except M2.7 won't allow that to happen for even as long as a tenth of a second. It's very cool, and puts Motronic head and shoulders above aftermarket ecus.

Plugzit has M2.5, however (OK, it too has a watchdog). The problem with M2.5 for Plugzit's stacks is that M2.5 has a crappy Throttle Position Sensor that doesn't show gradients (just "idle," not idle, and "Wide Open Throttle").

After all, Plugzit wants to get rid of his MAFs. Well, you *can* get rid of the MAFs on M2.7 with a little tweaking here and there because the M2.7 TPS's are trey cool. Without the MAFs on M2.7, Motronic uses its onboard AlphaN lookup tables for fuel/air...and we can set those to be whatever we want.

So if you want to do the 8 ITB's onto a 348's M2.7 system, you've got one less step than Plugzit has for his M2.5 system...because he's got to go to a synthetic MAF (i.e. a Map-style setup) to compensate for his lousy TPS.

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Crap, I wish I saw this earlier. Was in a mood to fly my R/C glider on Friday afternoon. Shoulda come by u guys instead. Ran it into the bleachers at the local high school (it has a nice high launching wall). Had to fix substantial crash damage. Then all I had to do was paint a few doors over the W/E. Pull 'em down, strip off the hardware, sand 'em, primer, paint on 2 coats. Took all W/E. Showed Porsche to prospect on Sat. Fingers crossed so I can start my own mad tbs upgrade plan.

Hope it went well. I'll check in later this week.

V

24. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Well, it started and ran with the MAFs disconnected. I wired up the Perfect Power SMT6s that I got from Ida Automotive in Montclair, NJ. per the wiring diagram that Bob drew up for me to control the air with MAPs. Dan Burley (International Dream Cars) called his dad (airline electronics) to help me with mapping the signals. The map we made is crude, but it works-first time for both of us. Tomorrow to make an appointment at Haddad Motorsports in Inglewood for dyno tuning. That'll tell the story. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

25. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Cool! Place your bets now for hp reading...

I'll start with a 370hp guess.