355 Spider - Convertible Top | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Spider - Convertible Top

Discussion in '348/355' started by kuwait355, Nov 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I found this thread when my top wouldn't go down today. Checked the fluid and it's below the minimum line. I read the write up by Chaa; sounds easy. However I'm confused a bit because of other procedures I've read. Chaa doesn't mention loosening the bleeder screw in his write up. Is this unnecessary using his procedure?

Thanks,

Nick

2. HK355

HK355 Rookie

May 21, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Please excuse my ignorance but where is the bleed screw? Does anyone have a photo?

Thanks - Brad

3. FloridaF355

FloridaF355 Rookie

Oct 12, 2008
    cavlino likes this.
  4. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Has anyone taken the roof canvas off to replace it? I'd love to know the proper way.
    Thanks in advance

5. k17har

k17har Karting

Sep 3, 2009
    london, uk
    Full Name:
    kayer
    #55 k17har, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    you should also check for loose screws around the ram/and metal frame ( not sure what they called) when top half way down. you gotta remember that these cars get a lot of bumpy ride and things do get loose, especialy the screws (allen key) that hold the frame together. the other day when i was driving, this small screw fell of from the frame. and also maintain those door and roof rubber seal for leak proof, not sure what product to use, but i read about it somewhere.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. heung

heung Rookie

Aug 16, 2009
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    William Heung
    2 weeks ago I posted on the question on how to top up the oil soft top and I'm very thankful for gotten a repy on how to do so. I'm still having problem with my soft top retriving on the 355. Everything work perfectly except 1 very important step in the sequence.

I release the top manually. Parking brake on, push up until I hear the beep. Both Window dropped about 2 ins. Hold the switch, both Seats move forward. The next step is the top will fold back before coming down. This step is missing. It will not fold back, and if swich is continue to be pressed, the top will lower and if I don't fold the back rest of the seat back, the top will hit the seat. The top will lower all the way and stop as the roof is still not folder. It will not go further. I can now close it back and the top will move back up and the final stage, I can hear the top 2 cylinder pushed the top all the way forward and rest on the top of the windscreen. after locking the level, the switch will put the seats back to position. Why is it not folding? Is 1 of the Mirco Switch not atuvated or contacted?

7. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Hi William, I had this same problem. I am not near my car right now, and I have a flight to catch, so I am in a bit of a rush but maybe read this thread if you haven't:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178284&highlight=carpet

There is a bar that runs across the roof. On my car, I need to press this bar upward, toward the sky, a small amount, maybe half an inch.

I think this is what I do:
    I manually release the latches
    I then gently press up (toward the sky) on this bar that is above my head while keeping the switch pulled
    By pressing GENTLY upward on this bar, the top will fold back properly and clear the seats.
    If I don't gently press on this bar, the top will NOT fold back properly and it will make contact with the seats

From reading the other thread: In some cars, this bar, that I need to press, is slightly bent. Perhaps from somebody sitting on the top when it is in the folded down position. By pressing on it, you are pushing in back in the position is should be in.

I am accustomed to doing this now, so it is just part of the procedure.
    Unlatch
    Move top backward until you hear the beep
    Press on bar gently while pushing switch to fold down top

Try it and report back. Thanks and good luck.

8. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    My top works by remote control, watch here
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOtLqLrJAIY[/ame]

cavlino likes this.
  9. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok where do you get the remote control?

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I did not understand the point of this, until I watched the video completely. So this modification is helpful for tall people. Got it...I am only 5'8"...lol. ;)

11. heung

heung Rookie

Aug 16, 2009
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    William Heung
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the invaluable advice. I tried the opening on the top today, and following your advice to push up on the bar. Wha lllla. The top folds back and everything is in all working order. Try it a few times and each time the bar needed to be push up and it will work with no problem. Once again thank you very much. Has anybody try repairing this problem??

cavlino likes this.
  12. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    It's that time of the year, tagging in case my stupid top acts up on me on the first top-down drive of the season.

cavlino likes this.
  13. Aussie Technician

Feb 4, 2021
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Johan Viljoen
    Hi there,

Does anyone perhaps have the Hydraulic line allocations diagram ? The 355 I'm working on now had someone else's hands in it and it looks like the top two cylinders are not working, I also noticed that it sounds like the pump is under strain when trying to open and close the roof.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mates

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    WATSON likes this.
  15. Aussie Technician

Feb 4, 2021
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Johan Viljoen
    Qavion likes this.
  16. Aussie Technician

Feb 4, 2021
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Johan Viljoen
    I managed to trace a wiring diagram down and checked the system accordingly, seats and windows does not respond on switch, fluid level is low and I'm having a tough time bleeding it, thus the reason I'm thinking someone might have swapped a hose around or something equivalent

The roof canvas looks fair and looked after, still tight as it should be......I think.....lol.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I meant there is a common problem where the second crossbar (from the window) goes down instead of up and the roof doesn't fold properly.

The latest version of my custom diagram is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/Y14rZMPyEtylSP26

I update it every few months or so..

The seats and windows stop responding when the roof is unlatched and lifted slightly from the top of the windshield. I believe the seats stop responding after their auto cycle until the roof is fully down. Are you getting the standard single beep when you pull the roof back to initiate roof operation?

18. Aussie Technician

Feb 4, 2021
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Johan Viljoen

Your diagrams helped a stack, thanks..........
    The second crossbar definitely causes some of the problems, its down instead of up......
    I'm getting a continuous beeping when trying to initiate the roof operation, without any action or response, I must admit that I've taken on this job without the needed "tools" wiring diagrams and general operating procedures ........

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good luck.

20. Aussie Technician

Feb 4, 2021
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Johan Viljoen
    Hey Qavion,

You are a star mate, I got the roof fixed and ready to go...... there was a few issues...
    1) Fluid level below min, had to bleed it a few times
    2) Broken micro-switch wiring on left rear pillar
    3) Some roof upholstery to retract the top middle crossbar

All the above faults just shows neglect of the vehicle, it's a shame......awesome car
    Thanks again
    I'll return the favor when I'm in the position to....

Cheers mate

Carmellini and Qavion like this.
  21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gotta love fchat!*

*sometimes

Aussie Technician and Qavion like this.
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Faster than a speeding bullet...

Great work. Glad we could help.

Aussie Technician likes this.
  23. Raistlin

Raistlin Rookie

Sep 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Raist
    Thanks Chaa. Just got a F355 and noted the soft top was struggling to close. Checked the hydraulic fluid level and well below minimum. Went through the service records and no mention of topping it up. Some of the bolts were difficult to loosen but I managed to top it up and working more smoothly now. Really appreciate this forum!

Carmellini likes this.