355 - 355 Rear disc and pad change | FerrariChat

355 355 Rear disc and pad change

Discussion in '348/355' started by Red_SLR, Jul 27, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Looking to do the discs and pads on my 355.

Any special requirements? I have done a search and found nothing.

Anything else to check whilst I have the disc off?

I assume like any other car, remove pads, remove brake res cap, push back pistons, remove caliper bolts, remove caliper and hang up, remove disc locking bolt, remove disc and then reassemble with copper grease etc.

Any torque setting for the locking bolt? I cant see any wear sensor on the pads I assume that's right.

Thanks!!

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Your right, basically like any other car. My 99 does have wear sensors however.
    While your in there, check the parking break pads.

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wear sensors on the front but not the rear which, from the title, is what he’s doing.

Robb likes this.
  4. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thread update, I have the discs and pads off the car now. Just waiting on replacement discs to arrive. One question.. is there an easy way to adjust the handbrake shoes in slightly because I suspect I am not going to get the new discs on without doing so....

Who ever last did this job even though it must have been a while ago was good enough to use anti seize on all the fasteners so all came undone really easily.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    We just did this. The bolts for the parking brake shoes may need replacement. Also check your bearings while in there.

Robb

6. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Cheers I was being super dumb not realising the adjuster was right in front of my nose!

Yep checked the bearings seem ok to me.

Will give everything a clean up as a lot of brake dust in there.

Qavion likes this.
  7. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Lots of dust inside the disc indicates that the parking brake was likely left on several times. Be sure that the shoes are in good condition before reassembling.

8. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Cheers, I will give them a rub up with sand paper if they seem polished. There was plenty of meat on them (for handbrake shoes anyway!) so I think they are ok for pad depth. I will post some pics when I am done :D

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I just had the dealer replace all 4 rotors and install new pads, they also replaced the emergency brake shoes and adjusted it.
    Wasn’t that expensive, but I bought the new rotors/pads a few years ago from another Ferrari dealer........
    Stole them $540 including shipping across the US.
    Total bill for brakes and annual service was $2384.

10. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Another question..... how do you get the clips back on for the pads? The giant X looking things.

I have them clipped in the bottom but can I get it over the detent on the top... nope.

I am far from a weakling so I assume I am going wrong somewhere :)

11. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    An hour later... sorted. The technique I used in the end was to use the back of a set of pliers (the rubber handle) to push onto the top and then grip the caliper with my hand and squeeze.

Qavion likes this.