355 major, part 1. How to drop the engine... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 major, part 1. How to drop the engine...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RF128706, Mar 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariChallenged

Jan 14, 2009
    Yes, I realize it is 4 years old, just noticed that it was revived yesterday though. Amazing how many people are getting their feathers ruffled. If no one cares about a 4 year old post, why is everyone responding then?

2. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Because the 355 guys don't have as many DIY service threads as the 348 guys do.

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, he was arguing with Tim, who was commenting to what was said yesterday. But sheesh, I didnt even catch the date of the first postings. And its still an impressive work, regardless.

As to sharing knowledge, mechanic repairs have nothing in common to recipes or software programs that are copyrighted. Good mechanics almost never keep secrets of how to fix something. In fact I would compare it to the way Doctors and Surgeons are portrayed, where they willingly share knowledge with colleagues. Only hacks try to hide their tricks, and most of their tricks arent worth knowing. Piston welding in situ being one example, using a DA sander on a cylinder head surface being another. Its like studying under Mengele.

4. FerrariChallenged

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm not saying it is a big secret, I'm just saying not to be surprised if you don't get a detailed explanation. I'm sure most mechanics are more than happy to share tips and knowledge with someone, but they probably aren't going to hand you a step by step instruction book.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Which is exactly the reason us "do-it-yourself" types make posts like this.

6. FerrariChallenged

Jan 14, 2009
    My original point was to not be upset that a paid mechanic isn't going to give you a free step by step detailed guide, so it's silly to get mad that they don't. I know that post was from several years ago, but in the current money pinching times, it seems like the anger fires get reignited towards mechanics. I have much respect for the "do it yourself" types, there are many things I like to figure out for myself instead of paying someone else to do.

Kind of tough to translate sarcasm over the internet - that is what the Starbucks comment was geared towards.

7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    glad this thread got bumped up, I had printed these pdf's when doing my engine out. Great post...

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #33 Artvonne, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    I honestly dont have a clue what your talking about, and it has nothing to do with anger. From before I could drive I have found most mechanics willing to share vast amounts of information in as great of detail as they could offer as long as you were able to grasp it. When your eyes glass over, when you just arent understanding what their telling you, they stop and go back to work. But many many times I have been given step by step instructions, even over the phone by complete strangers, all you have to do is ask and be respectful to both their knowledge and their time.

Some cars have strange idiosyncrocies that can defy logic to just about everyone except those few who have learned through fire or from someone else. Many times when confronted with something I couldnt figure out, a call to a dealership would often get me a mechanic on the phone to explain how to solve the problem. And most often, all they ask in exchange is that you return the favor to someone else. I figured out how to put an AMC 401 into a late model Wagoneer by a mechanic giving all the niggly details, which flywheel I needed, this part off this particular car, etc.. I figured out how to swap out a quadratrac transfer case in my Cherokee with a totally manual transfer case from a complete different vehicle, a job that required swapping several internal parts after completely disassembling both units, by a mechanic I didnt know, over the phone. I didnt even ask, he offered! Told me to grab a peice of paper and he layed it out in exact detail.

Now maybe I live in a unique part of the world, but I dont think so. I have travelled all over the country and found people other places just as willing to share information with a colleague, one mechanic to another. As long as you know one end of a screwdriver from another and can understand the basic terminology (thingy that turns the thingy wont cut it), or they can see you trying and see dirt under your nails, most are willing to spill the beans. And I see the same kind of people right here on Fchat in people like Tim, Brian, Dave, Mark, Russ, Wil, and so many, many others. As long as you dont piss in their shoe while they are offering FREE advice, they offer a mountain of information. We may not always be 100% correct, and we may argue our ignorance against all possible common sense (discretion is the better part of valor), but its still free. So be impressed, very impressed that the man put together a wonderful manual for all of us. But dont ever forget there are a great many more out there willing to go just as far, further even, but maybe on a more personal level. So I guess what I am trying to say, I see just the complete opposite of what your suggesting. That there is not some unscalable wall surrounding this knowledge that is kept secret and hidden like the great Mog-ur, but the doors are open on all sides to everyone, you just have to ask. And the economy has not ever effected it one way or another. If you think the economy is bad now you should have seen tha late 70's.

9. FerrariChallenged

Jan 14, 2009
    "You know what i like most of all about RFs work, its the fact that the guy is not a pro ferrari tec full of the mystical ferrari b*ll sh*t."

I guess what set me off originally was the quote above, generalizing Ferrari Techs. I know that the quote is from several years ago, I was just hoping that people still didn't feel that way.

I am more than happy to provide tips and advise to those who ask when I am able, I just can't guarantee it will be as detailed as the beginning of this post, especially because of the time involved.

By the way, I would have loved to have that information too for the first 355 major I performed. Instead, I was just handed the keys and told "go!" I do like learning things for myself, but I also agree that colleagues should share information with colleagues.

Hope this clears things up ;)

10. 97spiderman

97spiderman Karting

Dec 15, 2008
    Sunny Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    JohnAG
    Great Job, You sure make it look easy. Similiar to the '64 VW bug engine I learned on in the early '70's. Thanks for the detailed report, I am sure it will come in handy for many of us.
    John G

11. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Was there going to be posted instructions on installation? Your document said you would be posting more.

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Great post :)!!! ............. even if it is 4 years old ........ ;)

13. rodredmr2t

rodredmr2t Rookie

Sep 4, 2008
    Horndean England
    Full Name:
    Rod Brady
    Fantastic writeup I intend to use next winter when I do mine many thanks Rod.

14. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Many,many thanks. A good thread is like good fashion... it never gets old or goes out of style. I'm printing this off whe I get to the office in the morning. It's brothers like you that make this site what it is....

15. Repack

Repack Rookie

Nov 15, 2007
    Nederland
    He never managed to get the engine back in?

brian.s likes this.
  16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    just means there's a barnfind 355 out there...

sjd

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Would like to know also.....