355 - 355 Insurance check | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 355 Insurance check

Discussion in '348/355' started by rob lay, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my buddy was willing to remove his profit and his other benefit he doesn't mind telling me where else I should go if it is a better deal.

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I just recalled this and I'm sure there are many members here that could confirm or deny this... but I recall one of my buddies saying that as an agent they are internally rated by whatever umbrella (company) they represent and if they have a history of good ratings and writing good policies they are offered more products and option. Obviously if the history is not so great with a long chain of claims and payouts they wont have as many options from the mother ship so in some ways the individual agent may shy away from certain areas, people or things in order to keep their internal number/rating up.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

thats perfect!

4. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I will add my .02

As someone who deals with all of these companies on the claim side, it is not about what you pay or save in premiums, it is about what they pay out during a loss. Unfortunately a lot of the companies mentioned above, have very poor claims handling and payout records. Most of ya’ll, fortunately have not filed claims or suffered losses and had to deal with the process of some of the largest companies. It is starting to get exponentially worse and most of those companies have had record profits.

I buy my insurance in the anticipation that I will have a claim. That the $1000 I saved annually will really bite me in the a$$ if and when I have a claim. Family of 4, 15 cars, 2 collectibles. I pay a lot and I pay it knowing a payout will be 100% in my favor. American Collectors Stated Value - always pays and then some. Germania for home and cars. I recommended Chubb, Pure, Nationwide Private Client and the Hartford if you qualify - age, value of primary residence are biggest factors.

All the other guys have become basic $hi? and screw even the longest clients without additional legal involvement (cost) and/or Public adjusters. I see it on Honda’s, to Ferraris to everything in between.

I wish everyone the best, but I would read up on claims experiences, contact a state public adjuster and ask who is the best to work with and when it comes to Hagerty, Grundy American Collectors, et al, I would see who has the least complaints. I do know Grundy Pays and pays well. Harder to get, but better to have.

Just my .02 from the land of claims hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26street, OCKlasse and ShineKen like this.
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Good to know Grundy pays well :).

Kokose7en and OCKlasse like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    With regard to payouts I think that is dependent on state laws. In know from experience that in CT the state is very active in assuring that payouts are consistent because they don't want insurance companies tying up the courts when company A pays their client XX for the lost and then has to collect from the company who covered the person at fault and thinks the claim is only worth YY.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    carnut, where can i lookup the reviews your looking at to determine if my company is crap? is usaa on the list?

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Grundy had my black 355 at $1100/year. That's before I put it as non-operational and took it off insurance as it was due to for an engine out and I needed time to plan what route I wanted to take with the car (headers, valve guides, etc...). I'm thinking I had it around $75k at the time. This was years ago.

I should be calling Grundy's soon for the my red 355.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Now the million dollar question is, what’s the agreed value ? :) $250k ?? $355k?? @johnk...

carnutdallas likes this.
  10. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Well, they - Ins - are not easy

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    $60k. :D

Actually, from people I have talked to, you tell the agent what you want the agreed value to be and if it's acceptable he will tell you the rate. They will probably ask for pictures documenting the condition of the car.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Does anyone know anything regarding windshield insurance? I think it's like $10/month or something for a standard car. Anyone ever try to replace their delaminating windshields under a windshield policy? Could come in handy as I am sure it will cost a couple grand to get it done professionally.

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Generally limited to impact damage only.

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    As in rock chips? Should be easy. Just drive faster :).

carnutdallas likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just checked my old policy. Had the 355 at agreed value of $100k in 2015.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just got off the phone with Grundy. 1995 F355 Berlinetta (The guy asked what variation). $100k "agreed" value. $639/year. Windshield rock chip protection built into the policy :). Rates have come down quite a bit. I know I was paying $1100/year in 2015 for pretty much the same policy and identical car.

I also asked if there were any rate advantages if car registers with historic plates. He said no difference.

Readers should keep in mind Grundy does have driving restrictions.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good for you, no mileage restrictions though and their driving restrictions aren't unreasonable, except not taking to work.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'm gonna call and check tomorrow for $150k agreed value and see what they say.

19. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    The company that holds all my primary car policies agreed value was simply based on purchase price. If I wanted to insure for more they would require appraisal.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know Texas has higher insurance rates, but I don't see any other reason our quote would vary by $500. Can you look this over and see if it is your same setup? Do you have the Collision too? Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

rob lay likes this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm talking to John Grundy right now, they're coming on as Sponsors. I can't wait to ask why the difference. :D If I don't ask it, then someone else will eventually if they're sponsors. ;)

carnutdallas and ShineKen like this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Nice! Should I wait until after they sponsor for an Fchat discount :)?

Yassa and carnutdallas like this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    based on the looks of it, I don't think you can beat what you got! :D you may mind, but if not send me the quote number so John can analyze exactly. it may simply come down to the state, but if they're going to be getting a bunch of new FerrariChat business whether a mistake or just clarifying reasons, I think it is important for them. thanks!

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    They were great! I was talking to 2 Grundy brothers! The difference Ken is slightly because you are in California and your state forces certain discounts on policies. However, the major difference is your car is 25 years old and qualifies as a modern classic, instead of an exotic. Mine will too in 3 years and my rates will be cut in half.

ShineKen likes this.