355 Idle RPM dropping sometimes down to 650 for a sec or two while driving | FerrariChat

355 Idle RPM dropping sometimes down to 650 for a sec or two while driving

Discussion in '348/355' started by alexpivo52, May 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Anybody had experienced the idle RPM dropping sometimes down to 650 for a sec or two while driving then raising back to 1100. Not every time but sometimes. When the car standing still the idle RPM is always 1100 on a cold or warmed up engine.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Had something similar when the idle control valve came loose

Qavion likes this.
  3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Maybe when the cooling fan(s) come on?

4. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Mine will do this occasionally, still trying to root cause it. I cleaned the idle control valve that was pretty dirty, it may have improved some but not 100%.

5. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Interesting theory.. I'll watch that.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It would also happen when your idling in the garage when the fans come on if it was the fans.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Loosing a bank of spark or fuel briefly from a Gremlin would probably give about the same symptom -- no clue(s) available from the reading the Motronic error code(s)?

8. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    No codes set or pending.. symptom presents when driving and coasting in neutral, right after going to neutral. i.e. normal brisk cruise. press clutch, push shifter to neutral, let rpms fall. The RPM's will naturally fall to idle, dip below normal idle momentarily and then recover. Almost as if the IAC valve is slow to respond. Doesn't happen unless driving. I'd almost say it behaves as expected just slower than you'd expect it to respond.

And yes the low RPM momentarily is similar to dropping a bank, but if that were the case I'd expect a code thrown.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I assume you killed the battery for n hour then restarted car with everything off ie air conditioner heater etc as per the manual
    And let the computer relearn the engine parameters.

10. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Yes runs fine otherwise and just passed emissions

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Or the A/C compressor coming on will do that too if the ECU doesn't see compressor status, if it does it will increase idle to compensate for the added load.

Qavion likes this.
  12. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Empirical anecdote: in my 348 (granted, not a 355) this happened when my O2 sensors were on their way out - but not messed up enough to set a code. Once I replaced both of them the idle went back to rock solid.

Keep i mind the 348 only has two O2 sensors = simpler diagnosis and replacement.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not saying its MAF but the same type of symptoms appear when the MAF starts failing as well.

14. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #14 alexpivo52, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Solved. In my case it was none of the above but the first response from taz355 was in a right direction. I already had taken out and cleaned with gasoline the idle control valve and when shaking it the valve inside clearly was turning freely/not sticking to anything. With the cleaned valve the problem was still exactly the same. Added sealant to the thick rubber O-ring from the T-shape air channel in which the idle valve goes in: no change the problem was exactly the same. Didn't think of the MAF as if it's faulting it will be problems with engine loosing power and it wasn't my case. But I have a spare and I swapped it- no effect. Next I had read the Error Codes. I have a generic code reader and don't have a SD1/SD2 or Leonardo. So I the only code I had was P0153 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1). Replaced the front oxygen sensor on the driver side. The issue was still the same.

The solution: I kept asking around and the Service Manager from my local Porsche dealership after listening to the problem said: "It could be either a sticky idle control valve or the throttle position sensor. The computer doesn't know the correct throttle position." I said that I already had taken out and cleaned the idle control valve and the valve itself was moving clearly freely inside of the valve body. The Service Manager said: "Then it should be the throttle position sensor". I said: "I've been thinking about it!"

So bingo. The problem with my 355 was in the throttle position sensor as the guy had said. It is located on the Bank 1 (Passenger side) on the rear side of the engine. I took it out, cleaned with gasoline, put it back, took the 355 to a test drive, and: "Ta-da!" The magic moment. Everything is perfect. Smile on my face :) ;-) Driven it for 1hr.

Cleaning process:
    The throttle position sensor is all sealed. It only has a window on the back where the throttle rod coming in. So I poured some gasoline in it, shook it a few times, twisted the plastic insert where the throttle rod goes in a few times left/right as far as it goes without applying any force. Turned the sensor over shook off all gasoline out. Repeated 3 times. Poured some gasoline to each connector, closed the connector by a finer, shook it a few times. Repeated with another connector.

Left the sensor belly up on a direct sunlight for a 1/2 hr to vapor all of the gasoline out. Assembled it back in to the car.

Thoughts:

Seems some oil vapor deposits/dust had accumulated inside of the sensor which the gasoline had cleaned out. Alcohol burns fat. So if you have problems with a fat, take some alcohol in and you will feel better ;-)

When putting the sensor back in I noticed it snapped in when setting in place. The engine block has a little O-ring around the throttle rod popping out. When I was taking it out, it had came out without snapping out meaning a stupid mechanic who was touching it before when assembling it didn't snap it in. But he had put the yellow paint over the holding screws all over marking his "warranty". I needed to scratch all of that paint off so I could put a flat screw driver to these bolts.

The cooling fans have nothing to do with such an issue, to my understanding.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. Seems the ECU didn't know when the engine was at idle and perhaps closed the idle air controller? Just wondering why the engine didn't die completely. Normally, do the throttle butterflies remain slightly open even at idle? Or does the idle air controller let some air through even above idle?

I thought these dual output type throttle position sensors (also used on the F550) were relatively cheap , but the prices seem to be on the way up, even you use the Bosch number 0 280 122 00.

16. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yep! - for both points. Most of the time when going ton Neutral the engine was going to the proper idle RPM and I had observed the RPM was dropping relatively "softly" slowing the drop when getting closer to the 1100; and when it was the issue the RPMs were dropping fast down to 700 or 650; then to my understanding when the sensor finally was catching up after a sec or two it was telling to the ECU "I am on idle" and the ECU -> "open" to the idle control valve and the idle RPM were raising to 1100. I had it for a while dropping to 800, then to 700 so I didn't know of what to do. Now as I see it was getting worse over the time dropping it lower so the "Low Oil Pressure" light started to blink once or twice until the engine catches up with idle started making me looking into it.

$200 used on eBay. Ferrari 456 355 550 Throttle Position Sensor 158170. Not "cheap" but I'd say "cheaper vs. if you bring a car to a shop to fix it".

17. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Fantastic. Thank for following up. Will investigate this weekend.

18. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    Just an FYI... MAF cleaner spray works well too for cleaning those parts without dangers of using gasoline and also having the gas dry out any delicate rubber parts.

Qavion likes this.
  19. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Absolutely.

20. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Good to know. I had an experience of dropping a drop of gasoline while cleaning something to a door strip rubber insert. That rubber strip is unforgiving. Nothing helped to cure the bubbles appeared on it. No heat gun helped. Those strips are really expensive for just a piece of rubber and nobody having those. Ended up getting it a brand new from Italy from the Factory.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I don’t agree with the alcohol burns fat comment

I have been drinking quite a bit more this last year and it’s not helping.
    Any suggestions??

as for your throttle position sensor you generic obd2 reader should have given you a position of 0 or maybe 1 and on the high side when fully open for some reason they only go to about 79. Or at least mine and a few others I checked with do

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for the solution not everybody gives it

Qavion likes this.
  23. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You
    If you don't agree, I am not forcing you. That's to my knowledge of how it works. But maybe there are other more health-related or well-being -oriented chat rooms you can discuss it. Good luck!

I solved the issue already, most likely my obd2 reader does have the option to read a throttle position, at this point I don't have a need to check. Hope it makes sense. But thanks, good to know.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I can’t discuss it right now I’m drunk again and still fat.
    Fat billy bob told me the same thing about alcohol but it’s not helping him either.
    Stay tuned as more research is needed this weekend by all

Qavion likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I thought it was more a case of the added stuff in alcoholic beverages which adds fat?

I would trust Alex... "Pivo" (пиво) means beer in Russian :D

taz355 and alexpivo52 like this.