355 F1 jerks on 1st gear after warm | FerrariChat

355 F1 jerks on 1st gear after warm

Discussion in '348/355' started by call-911, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. call-911

call-911 Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    My 1998 355 F1 drives smoothly from a stop when cold, but after driving about 10 miles, starts from a stop are a bit jerky in either auto mode or paddle. Once out of 1st the driving is fine. This is especially noticeable when creeping up a slight incline or in reverse.

I checked the F1 fluid and it’s full. Could it be that the F1 pump motor is starting to show signs of wear and when the engine compartment is hot the pump motor doesn’t operate at full capacity?

If it is the F1 pump motor, has anyone had their motor rebuilt at an electric motor repair shop? I know of the 360 adaptor but wouldn’t that require a full bleed?

Thanks in advance for anyone’s input.

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mine did this but I needed a clutch and TO bearing. That seemed to do the trick. When was your clutch changed last? Also replaced the stock pump to a 360 pump due to other issues. Problem gone.

3. call-911

call-911 Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, the clutch and TO bearing were just replaced and the problem is still there. Ferrari service wanted to charge another 16k to replace the "F1" system, which they should have diagnosed the first time.

4. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Ridiculous! I don't want to turn this into a dealer bashing thread but why would they just automatically jump to the conclusion that you need an entire new F1 system?

5. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Have you tried doing the calibration procedure in the workshop manual?

6. call-911

call-911 Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    The dealer said they bled the system, is this what you're referring to? If not, do you have the procedures as I don't have the workshop manual. Thanks!

7. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You can get a copy of the workshop manual here:
    All Ferraris

Look up PIS Self Calibration, IO Self Calibration, and Engagement and Selection Self Learning Procedure.

You could ask the dealer if they did those 3 procedures and even if they did it can't hurt to try them again. You'll also learn something about the car by doing it. I hope it helps.

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Did you install a Hill TO Bearing??

Many of us have experienced fitment issues with the Hill bearing causing all sorts of little issues with the F1- going back to OEM Ferrari parts sorted all the issues.

9. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #9 Labman, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    +1. Replaced failing OEM TO bearing with a Hill and found out it was causing issues with gears sticking. Bradan indy shop spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out where the problem was originating from. I replced F1 sensor and other parts probably for nothing. Complete nightmare. Hill owes me some $ for sure!

GTUnit likes this.
  10. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    With all due respect I must point out that I personally spent countless hours looking at what could be the problem. We had two bearing returned to us that we tested and inspected thoroughly and there was nothing could be found wrong with them. It is only my opinion but I just can not understand how a clutch release bearing would be responsible for causing gears to stick between the down shift from 5th to 4th only. I'm all ears and if there is a problem with our product I would want to be the first to know and we would be dealing with it as soon as I found out. With several hundred of the 355F1 bearings out in the fields I have never come across this and have talked to over a dozen Techs about the scenario and all have dismissed the release bearing being the problem.

Beetle likes this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    911- I would have the dealer use an SD2 and reset point of initial slippage (PIS). On F355s and early 360s, this is an automatic procedure where the SD2 commands the system to set PIS. On later 360s, all 575Ms and later cars, PIS can be manually set.

12. opskier

opskier Rookie

Jan 1, 2008
    This is originated by a faulty clutch electrovalve.

F1 Ferrari and Selespeed Alfa Romeo shares the same design and all have this problem, if the car jerks when it is warm (after too many stops for example at city driving) you need to change your clutch electrovalve.

GTUnit and Qavion like this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like a good tip, but hopefully this problem was sorted a long time ago. The previous post was in 2013 :D

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Although this is many years old I happened to re read and I think this driver did not know how the f1 works.
    He was trying to go forwards too slow and the transmission was kicking in and out of gear.
    In reverse it never really engages and will do the same thing kind of.
    This is mostly for future people doing a search.
    Think of it in a standard and if you try to go to slow you will stall or need to put the clutch in. My guess is this is what he was doing

these cars are not automatics even if in auto mode. Ground speed must be enough for the car to be moving or the f1 will slip the clutch or be jerky

Beetle and GTUnit like this.