355 ENGINE OUT (with 4 post hoist) THE SAFE WAY with pictures | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 ENGINE OUT (with 4 post hoist) THE SAFE WAY with pictures

Discussion in '348/355' started by cf355, Mar 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #126 cf355, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You need one of these tools available at your hardware or automotive store.
    Its an upholstery tool.
    You remove 2 clips at the front underneath of the seat and unclip another larger one at the rear.
    You pop out the old cushion and insert your memory foam cushion.....and your done.

You DONOT need to remove the entire seat.....but if you want to you remove the seat for other reasons.....just remove the 4 allen bolts......see pict's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #127 cf355, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

I hear ya.....I have not weighed the speakers but they are probably more than 7 lbs each and I would not want one of those things to come loose.
    Each speaker though, is bolted in place by 2 steel plates behind the carpets.......the steel plates are 1.7mm thick and could easily support over 100 lbs each......so there is no chance of them ever coming loose.

I also didnot want a stereo system that required cutting of holes in the car....nor did I want to fill my front trunk with amps ,ect (weight and reduced trunk capacity).
    These speakers are decent enough for the few times I actually listen to the stereo........most of the time I listen to the motor.

3. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
  4. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Its threads like this that keep me coming back almost every day. Youve done some great work Chris. I almost have the balls to take out my own engine but not quite. :) You have a PM.

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Anytime

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Thanks Franco,
    There is a lot of detail work to the service but there is a great satisfaction to a job well done.

7. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #132 cf355, Apr 4, 2009
    Well I had only 2 issues.
    The before mentioned exhaust leak that needs an exhaust gasket replaced (although the previous 'flange repair' has resulted in the exhaust leak stopping) .......I had to wait for a week and a half for the ordered gasket.......&
    a 1-4 light immediatly on startup.
    I always had a funky looking thermocouple (wire was chafed) however it appears the removal of the thermocouple for the engine out service bent the wire one last time and it shorted.
    When I started the car and saw the 1-4 light I went immediatly to the right thermocouple (at the cat) and twisted the wire...and sure enought I could turn the light on /off at will .
    So I bent the wire temporarily (stop short) and idled the car to full operating temperature to check for any other issues (there were none) and even drove the car up and down the street .....but that was the extent of my test drive till the new parts arrived (another 1 wk parts delay for the thermocouple).

I installed the new parts and took the car for a 'shakedown' drive to redline and all is fine.

The motor is smooth and strong...the transmission shifts smoothly and the beast is again on the road.

But......I think the weather man is calling for snow in a day or so.

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very nice! :):)

Harness are awesome!! :D:D

9. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Thanks Pap

10. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    #135 cf355, Apr 10, 2009
    Check list for 355 engine out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For those thinking of doing their own engine out I came across a checklist 4 years ago in another fchatters (RF128706) post that was well written and thought I would add it here. It gives a good overview.

When I started the engine out I removed the left and right rear inner fender panels and disconnected the appropriate electrical connectors and hydraulic connections. I also tagged the electrical connectors with white duct tape to make re-connection a snap.
    Then I went to the engine bay and disconnected the balance of the electrical connectors there as well.......

The only other thing I would add to the above checklist is:
    -before you start the engine out service , run the car till the fuel tank is at 1/4 full (helps reduce fuel spillage)
    -unscrew the fuel filler cap to a 1/4 turn (almost off).....this will reduce (but not eliminate) the pressure in the fuel tank and control the gas fumes.
    -immediately disconnect the fuel filters and drain them and then temporarily reinstall the filters (till you put on your new filters).....this will prevent the fuel 'dribbling' due to the now modest fuel pressure in the fuel tank.
    -diconnect the muffler at the cat connections and as well disconnect the y-pipe.....& either remove the y-pipe or position vertical to clear the frame.
    -use anti-seize on the frame bolts

11. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #136 marioz, May 7, 2009
    Thanks to Chris for his tips I completed 4 post service on my 97 355GTS. There is one thing to be aware of on 96 & older cars. The ECM cable goes inside the car & has to be fished out through SMALL hole in body. I had a b**** of a time pulling it through & getting it back in as I could not open my door (hitting hoist) to get inside the car to help fish it past hole. TIP here is to leave passenger window DOWN so an assistant can get in the car & position the connectors to allow it come through.All the rest went as planned.

12. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #137 marioz, May 7, 2009
  13. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Good update Mario. Since you have a GTS having the roof off during the Major might have given you easier cabin access :) Nice colour by the way but that roof is just too black :)

14. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #139 marioz, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    The roof panel was on the car-that's what made it impossible to get at harness. I wish I had a yellow roof panel for the car--but I want to keep car stock. If I can find another panel I may consider painting it yellow. I think that was an option.

I just realized you are from Ottawa--are you the one that has the yellow taga top--I saw the car in Montreal.

15. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Hi Mario, yes my targa top is painted yellow. It hasn't been in Montreal for years but it has been at Rocco's shop (Rock's Auto Restoration) in Toronto recently, last year for a clutch.

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Oh my!! You would wanna have a STRONG grip there to crack that fitting. :D:D

17. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    What is top made out of? It is smooth right? Very sharp.

I believe it was on 2007 when I saw a yellow 355GTS whith yellow top in Montreal---Bernie do you know?

18. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    You would be amazed how much power you get out of one hand as opposed to using two in tight places.

19. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

I didn't know there was such a man on earth that was equal to the mythical "HERCULES"

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You certainly do, I have to do that sh*t nearly every day. ;);)

Guilty as charged!! :eek::eek:

21. Nuno42

Nuno42 Rookie

May 5, 2009
    Hi cf355 what type of marker do you use to mark the engine , conections etc? tell me the brand and the model please

Tks

22. 355redcar

355redcar Karting
    BANNED

Feb 21, 2013
    is there some close up pictures of the TIMING MARKS on the 355 I missed, how to line up
    the timing belts, do you have to remove the flywheel to put the 2 timing belts back on

what size big nut to remove 36mm
    thanks in advance
    redcar

more pictures, more pictures

23. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    The "rough" tops can be easily sanded smooth and painted to match the body color. Lots of owners, including me, have had this done. Not everyone likes it, but I like the GTB look it gives the car with the top on.

24. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I love time travel.... Going to party like it's 2009. ;)

25. MR2 Mike

MR2 Mike Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Rioux
    Just found this thread because you brought it back like Marty McFly did his hover-board. Thanks ;) Definitely saving this one as my 355 purchase looms even closer!