355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb

Discussion in '348/355' started by full_garage, Apr 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    So what exactly did they do to make the parts "un-fixable" in you mind?

2. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Surely with 3D printing now, plastic parts that are NLA is not quite the problem it once was?

Added to that, I would have thought that the greatest risk of damage to these parts comes when they are removed from the car rather than when people are cleaning off the sticky surface or respraying the parts?

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    ^^^THIS^^^

4. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    The secret sauce remains elusive...

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't disagree, Bob. However, one point to consider is that the refinished parts don't match the original parts anyway so I think it's really just a matter of selecting a finish that is very appealing and fits the car's interior.

I'm going to study the finishes used by guys here and see what else is on the market.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Funny, I was telling a patient about this issue a couple weeks ago who is a car guy. He remarked, hey my remote for my cable box is doing that (the stickies). Sure enough I came home and looked at my Verizon remotes and they have that "soft" feel stuff on them and if I take my fingernail I can scrape it off.

As I said, the SEM 39143 trim black lays down very nicely and is a nice matt black finish. I did my door handles, ash tray and instrument surround with it. The center vent SNM just did seems a bit more "textured". If they were side by side it may not be quite right but SNM is not OEM either so its what looks right to the owner really.

SEM makes a lot of coatings and I think others on here have tried some of their other products. Have a look at their site and offerings in your search. I was going to take some macro pictures of the SNM finish and send it to them and see if they have a suggestion.

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol

Eastwood just came out with this so I am going to try it on the olf plastic parts on my corvette that have faded. Perhaps it will be another alternative.

Maybe not but I'm going to try it on my under hood black plastics that now after 24 years are turning grey.

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The trick is to try and match the HVAC panel that you put on. Its not easy as the that panel looks textured but it is not. I used a combination of 2 different paints to get it to look like that and it came out good. By holding the sprayer a few inches farther away, you get a little of the textured look. I used a satin paint and then slightly covered it with a flat and it came out great.
    Best to get a piece of plastic and practice. You can compare to the HVAC panel by using the round cut outs from the buttons. Its a great job and you will get a nice feeling of satisfaction doing it yourself. The expensive part comes when you break plastic pieces. That can happen with the trim that goes around the shifter and the steering column ends where they taper down to nothing. It happens when you put pressure on them while cleaning.
    Dave, I might be replacing my seats with carbon one day. Are yours tan? I also have a virtually new set from a car that was turned into a challenge car back in 95. They have less than 500 miles on them. Don't know what Im going to end up doing yet.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, my seats are tan, 4208. The HVAC overlay is much more textured than parts done by SNM as I looked at my 98 tonight to compare. The SNM parts are not very textured at all.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Agree. The overlay hvac replacement is more textured than SNM. Again, the OEM finish was not textured so all we are doing is creating a new false standard that seems to be SNM.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #136 johnk..., Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I guess I was lucky. The dealer who sold me the my 95 had replaced all the AC vents because they were sticky. Only problem is that now my center vent has the red plastic lens for the immobilizer led and a 95 should not have that. I did have to de-sticky the steering column surround and 2 switches but other than that all was good. I refinished with Kyrlon semi-flat black. It's a lot more durable that flat black and has just a little sheen. It was the best match to factors finish color that I could find. Not soft touch.

The column surround came out so nice I decided to do the shifter piece too.

Also, it has to be the lacquer, not the Rust Tough enamel.

I don't like flat blacks as then tend to absorb oils form touching then.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey John, your gate screws look good but they are not OEM (should be philips head, $0.90 each).

That's -5 at Concours :)

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What's a concourse? Oh, I remember. Never been to one. Never hope to. It's one of those things where you waste a beautiful day sitting around listening to other people tell you everything that is wrong with your car. On such a day I prefer a roadcourse.

Anyway, never gave the screws a thought. My cats aren't OEM. My door sills are OEM, my dead pedal isn't OEM. My passengers foot rest isn't OEM. My radio isn't OEM. My muffler isn't OEM. My floor mats aren't OEM. The challenge grill isn't OEM (well, it's OEM but not OE). I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over 4 screws.

By the way, do you have to OEM keys for you 95? The ones with the push button light?

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, while it's true, I was joking :)

And, yes, my 95 has the key with the push button light.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, I know you were joking. I just don't GAF with the 355. It's a car. Period. Now, my 308 is another thing. It's a real Ferrari. :)

Great that you have those keys. They seem to be pretty rare.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Transverse motor? No thanks :)

And, I have a single key not keys :(

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #142 treedee3d, Nov 10, 2014
    exactly what I did during my experiment and the recipe is a textured finish spray (I prefer the Krylon outdoor) and then coat that with the SEM flat black. Not identical but pretty damn close and the plastic in the car will match the replacement hvac panel.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's good logic although I wish the overlay matched the OEM finish which is not textured...

I guess I will let that one part stick out from the rest :)

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    This is what I was referring to in my earlier post

I took this piece out as the switches were sticky and in taking them out I noticed that the switch bezel was sticky. It seems whoever destickied the piece insitu as they had done my gauge surround and didn't remove the piece of the switches. Whatever

I got some greased lightening today and it sure works well. I sprayed and brushed with a toothbrush and you can see where I went through the black finish into the underlying plastic.

This is why I said go easy on the scrubbing. I think the goal is to remove the sticky but don't disturb this black pigment

In this case the switches will hide this anyway so whether I spray this or not it won't matter

I did just desticky the switches with alcohol and they seem fine without disassembly. [​IMG][​IMG]

20. ADSA95

ADSA95 Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    #145 ADSA95, Jan 3, 2015
  21. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
  22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #147 jimmym, Jan 4, 2015
    There is a thread where one owner is doing the exterior and interior of his car over. Here is a link to the whole thread.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/bradan/465293-bradan-f355-color-change-reupholstery-major-service-upgrades.html