355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 Dash Leather and Sticky Parts Refurb

Discussion in '348/355' started by full_garage, Apr 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Hi guys, nice thread!

Just want to add.. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE SWITCHES! :) I disassembled the sport switch in my 360 and mixed parts with a working switch.. it isn't easy to assemble back to working... don't do it!

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thus why I sent mine to Robbie! Mess up just one switch and it will cost many times more to replace that one switch than what you will spend to have it done right.

3. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It isn't necessary to disasemble the switches to refurb them. Just be careful to keep everying as dry as possible, and mask the pictograms before respraying. I also masked off the moving part of the switches, and only resprayed the housings (using Plasti-dip). They look brand new.

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Switches just came!!!!!! Can't wait to install them this evening. They look great, thanks Robbie. Pictures to come later :)

5. mowater

mowater Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    #80 mowater, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    #81 JSL, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    looks great.. just re-assembled my 360.. robbie re finished every part inside the car and it looks perfect.. brand new showroom condition..i highly reccomend him.. it's completely worth the price..

8. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I agree. I had Robbie refinish all the switches. He not only turned them around in less than one day, he called me to tell me he had them and would be shipping them out same day. Great communication and excellent work! Thanks Robbie.

That said, it's 60* and sunny here in central California. The car is down off the lift and my wife and I just got back from a beautiful little drive. I haven't driven the 355 in some time. It still sends a thrill up my leg driving this beautiful car. I'm used to having people take pictures of the Gallardo but today a guy followed me for about 3 miles taking a score of pictures. The F355B is still a classic in my opinion.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have dealt with that crack many times, they seem to break there all the time. I refinish, put it all back together and then epoxy it. That way there is no stress on the parts when putting it back together... Give that a try

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Any time--Glad they arrived safely

11. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Very well done! It's great to see another 355 restored to its previous glory!

12. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Wow great job!! You are inspiring! Going to tackle a few pieces myself soon. I'm also admiring your floor mats. Where did you get them. Ricambi?

13. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks, I waited so too long since I was a bit intimidated in taking the door handles apart. Once I watched Robbie's video it was easy. The techniques in this thread were very helpful. Again though, it isn't perfect (close). If you want perfect, send the parts to Robbie. Don't remember where I got the mats now. I've had them for quite some time. They may have come from Italiancarparts.com, just don't remember. I'll look to see if they came with the car or I bought them. Somehow I think I did.

14. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Thanks I appreciate it. They are very nice.

15. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I've begun refinishing the dash with leather and I am only at the beginning. However, there is no way to staple it because the dash is rock hard.

Jay, did you only use glue on the back side or what?

I am worried that there isn't a mechanical hold on the leather. What do you think?

16. stevew3765

stevew3765 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    I was just wondering. You said you primed the ashtray before the textured paint. I have my ashtray wooled down to the metal ready to go. And right before I was going to spray the texture I remembered about that. Could you please clarify what you primed the ashtray with before you spayed the rustoleum textured paint on it? Thanks. And thanks for giving us newbies the opportunity to tinker with some stuff. These are building blocks for us...:>)

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    The ashtray cover is aluminium so it's best to sandblast it so it has an etching and then avoid touching it with bare hands. After that, use a chromate primer (you can buy it in a can). Allow proper dry time and then finish with final coat.

Here's my complete sticky solution with lots of pictures:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359291

18. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    or just use a metal etch primer (available in spray can) before you paint the final coat.....available at any automotive paint supplier.

19. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    lol

20. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    I am done with my wheel housing and halfway done with my ashtray. So far everything is looking just as it should. So, I want t give a "SHOUTOUT" to all the newbies that might run across this thread with a 355 they just bought wondering WTF. As the addage goes. "If I can do it, so can you". Try it! It's rewarding. If you hit a snag there is plenty of help on here! :>)

21. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Bare Aluminium and bare metal have different properties so using the same products for both is equivalent to using dishwashing soap to shampoo your hair. It may work but it's not made for that and the surfaces are completely different.

Get the proper stuff to do a proper job. Do it right, do it once....

22. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    The product I use is Dupont Etch Primer A-4115S.
    I have used this product on all alloy parts (except truly high heat applications like header heat shields where I use a ceramic based product) in the engine compartment including cast brake rotors hats & alloy calipers and have had no issues at all.
    This product is rated for: "Direct to steel, galvanized steel and aluminum"
    and was recommended by the automotive paint suppier.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dupont%20etch%20primer%20a-4115s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpc.dupont.com%2Fdpc%2Fen%2FUS%2Fhtml%2Fvisitor%2Fcommon%2Fpdfs%2Fb%2Fproduct%2Fdr%2FChromaSystemLV%2FDAF_a4114s-a4115s_TDS.pdf&ei=Pny3UNaDC-r7yAH1pYDgCA&usg=AFQjCNERSKK9nIhu8tIs6YSmR1uNAqLtPg

23. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Zinc chromate primer is still better for bare aluminium and you can buy it for 8 bucks. Why not spring for it?

24. stevew3765

Oct 27, 2012
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
    Full Name:
    Steve Wool
    That light ridge on the ashtray is the lighting not a forgotten area....

25. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab