355 - 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find | Page 13 | FerrariChat

355 355 B and GTS Stick getting really hard to find

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Aug 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ///criss

///criss Rookie

Jan 1, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Cristopher
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    There really should be more love for the F1 Berlinetta and GTS. The F1 is a really good experience if you have somebody working on it that knows what they’re doing and you drive it the way it’s capable of being driven. A very unique car and the very first of its kind.

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Couldn’t agree more. Of course, I love gated cars (I also have an amazing 328 GTB). But the F1 355 is benchmark in Ferrari history and there were far fewer of them made. At some point I believe the F1 will climb in value significantly, if for no other reason than there will come a time when most in the buying market won’t have a clue how to drive a gated car. And, before people chime in with the anecdote that their neighbors 19 year old son can drive a stick, we all better accept the fact that the vast majority of drivers under the age of 30 don’t have no idea how to. Sad but true.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ I've also read that you should drive the F1 as if it was a stick car so non-manual driving peoples will have difficulties either way, no?

Robb likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    One drives the F1 transmission the same as a modern dual clutch transmission. Certainly todays cars are much more advanced and far more precise, but the premise is the same.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I won't give you an anecdote about a 19 year old kid, but not knowing how doesn't preclude learning how. It doesn't take any specialize talent.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And one driver a DCT pretty much the same way you driver a stick shift, sans the clutch.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I agree, it isn’t difficult to learn, but very few do or will. It’s a simple reality that technology has separated new generations from driving gated cars. I’m 51, and even when I was in high school, manual transmissions were phasing out as commonplace (at least in the US). Of course there are some that learn to drive manuals, but not many. It isn’t something I’m happy about but it’s true nonetheless.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    From a timing standpoint, yes, but the synchronization of the manual clutch/shifting is the distinction. It is there where they are completely different, and I assume that’s what INTMD8 was asking.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't worry about manual, F1 and DCT. Everything will be autonomous in 15-20 years. No one will even know how to drive anything.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen and carnutdallas like this.
  11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Interesting. I’m 51 and also have a 328 GTB.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The beauty of the first generation F1 transmission is that the computer doesn’t blip the throttle on downshifts you get to do it manually your self. The later DTC does all this for you which isn’t as engaging or fun imho.

INTMD8 likes this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No what I meant was I've read several references in terms of blipping the throttle on your own to match revs with the 355 F1 box similarly to doing so in a manual trans F355, and other things in order to drive it smoothly.

So if someone is not familiar with driving a manual trans car they would have no idea about doing that which would then result in a different driving experience vs a DCT vehicle that does it for you.

MAD828 likes this.