350 Can Am 0858 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

350 Can Am 0858

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jun 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Putting on 412 bodywork and fitting a proper 412P engine would decrease the value even further........

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This car 0858 was never a 412P it was a P4.

0844 was a P3/412P/330 Can Am. After it's racing days were long over it was "reconverted" to a 412P. When Auctioned by Christies it was erroneously referred to as a P3.

Eric

IMO before 0858 could be returned to serviceable condition it would need a VERY through going through. It was not demonstrated running around the track at the Factory auction and even though the engine was started it's not something I thought sounded particularly healthy.

Cheers

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #53 GIOTTO, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    So needs to be stripped and the motor likely needs to be rebuilt? Nothing like asking full price for something that is just the starting point for a full restoration.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This car has been sitting for many years. IMO it would take a Full restoration before it was safe to drive.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a bit like wilt when he came entered pro basketball...

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Just out of curiousity, how many cars were actually documented as "350 Can-Am" by the factory when new????

Bob Z.

Not having sex with your girlfriend is like not putting miles on your Ferrari - so it'll be more desireable for the next owner to drive!

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #58 Napolis, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    0858 and 0860 were converted by the Factory into 350 Can Am's after their last Factory racing days as P 4's were over after Brands Hatch in 1967.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    sounds like 2 cars for the price of 1 :)

what was the chassis modified to bring it from a P4 to a can-am? what were the mechanical changes?

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    This is of course true, but you probably know better than most of us what the cost of such a restoration would be; isn't the cost reasonably insignificant in comparison to the cars' value? (Not to say that the restoration cost would be an insignificant sum!)

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hard to say. The car didn't sell and is still for sale a year later. What's it's worth is hard to say. The main reason IMO is because of Ferrari's Classiche Program clearly stating that it can't get Type 1 Certification if it's reconverted to a P4. As a P4 it would have much more value and in the past no one would have cared if it had been reconverted. Today there are people who do care about what Classiche says and that does effect value in some cases. As a 350 Can Am it's a Track Car not a road car and that also makes a difference in it's value today as cars that can be also used on the road in Rallies etc. have additional value to many.

My guess that to completely go through this car properly could easily cost $800K or more.

The Chassis is different than a P4's and there are mechanical differences the main one being that the engine is bored out from 4 Liters to 4.2 Liters.

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #62 Peloton25, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Maybe Classiche would be willing to bring it back to P4?

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    By cutting the 350 Can Am sections out of the chassis?

By sleeving the motor back to 4 Liters or making a new Classiche P 4 Motor?

By Adding a replica P 4 body?

Even if they did any or all of the above they clearly stated that if they did they would only issue a "Type 2" Certification, "a Ferrari of Historical Importance" like the one they gave the Breadvan.

P4 0858 is gone.

Long Live 350 Can Am 0858.

Some might destroy 350 Can Am 0858 to turn it back into a "P4".

I wouldn't.

15. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo

Hello Jim,
    I do not think the chassis was too much modified for the P4 to 350 Can Am conversion or if it was it was minor. Both had the same wheelbase. I think they called the P4 Type 603 and the Can Am Type 603C? I'm sure you would know. They might have added a safety arc or a few more tubes here or there. Am I wrong? I am curious if you are aware of major changes and what they might be. I know they did away with the spare tire area as they shortened the bodywork behind the rear wheel. I like the overall shape.

I think a proper resto back to a fully safe and operational 350 Can Am in its current colors and numbers would be the best tribute to 0858.

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    The point is not wether it could be made to look like P4 0858 or not, or wether the changes to the chassis were very significant or not: the factory used P4 0858 to create 350 Can Am 0858, at which point the P4 seized to exist. Given that the factory gave it a new type designation to me would suggest that it is not an evolution, but rather that the P4 served as the parts-donor for the Can Am.
    IMO Classiche is right by pre-empting someone changing it back to P4 spec when it states that no certification can be awarded. They are then doing what they are supposed to, preserving the Marque's history.

Jim, your estimate of a proper restoration of 0858 is quite a bit higher than what I had in my mind, but then, I never touched a nut on any of these fabulous P-series or Can Am cars. When I gestimated that the restoration costs may be insignificant to the car's value, I thought them to be in the range of 5-8%, going on a value as per auction results. I realise that such a project could spin out of control/exceed budget very quickly once you need major ingredients. Thank you for your frankness regarding this.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The chassis modifications were not major and are as you say but they are there. To Fit a Replica P 4 body you would have to modify the chassis slightly.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #68 technom3, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    I guess I don't really see the problem... perhaps I just don't understand the full extent of the modifications that would be necessary to return the car to original form...

If the wheelbase, suspension geometry, are the same and the chassis isn't extensively modified by excessive bracing etc... and it really is just a couple of minor crossbars to help mount a new body etc... I don't see the problem in removing pieces that are essentially mounting points... It doesn't affect the integrity of the car and is true to original form. There have been cars with heavily damaged chassis that have been repaired or straightened... I dont see how a chassis that hasn't seen severe crash damage but had some mounting points removed could be worth significantly less than a car that suffered actual frame damaged that altered geometry...

I also don't see the problem with resleeving an engine, as it is common practice... if the block and heads are the original castings... i say go for it... many many many motors get resleeved especially when fitting new pistons. Id say this occurs far more often than many think and Id be willing to be there are some big dollar big name cars that have had this done...

As far as the body... I would think the term "replica" body is a little harsh... many ferraris including testrossas GTOs, and many other fabulous race cars have been "rebodied" due to damage and or corrosion. And some cars raced as both coupe and convertible forms, some people have the original convertible body but "sourced" a new body.

I dunno... maybe I have the whole thing wrong

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #69 Napolis, Jul 1, 2010
    Here's the thing. In the past this is what would have and did happen. This is basically what was done with 0844 and 0860 although 0860 remains 350 not 330. The problem is a new one caused by the fact that some people put great store in having a Classiche Certification (Original Type 1) and thus value a car a lot differently if it can't get that.

If 0858 is modified as 0860 was it can't get an Original Type 1 "P4" Certification from Classiche and that effects it's value in some people's minds.

As for the "right" or "wrong" of it that's a personal decision and as long as there's full disclosure all remains good.

It would be like someone taking an original Series II 250 GTO and turning it "back" into a Series I 250 GTO with a newly made body because they like that body style better. "Hey it was once bodied as a Series I..."

This car is now an original 350 Can Am. It will never be an original P4 again. A (choose your word) P4 but not an original one.

Even those who don't care what Classiche thinks IMO would value Original 330 P4 0856 over 350 "P4" 0860 .

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Gotcha, I started to think of that aspect as I finished my post and laid in bed. Its funny how Classiche has really made a muck of things. Sometimes they are two generous with there certifications and sometimes they could be viewed as possibly too strickt... Politics... I fear.

I agree with you that no matter what an original P4 would be worth more than a 350/P4. Undoubtedly.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They opened Pandora's Box 4 sure.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #72 F1tommy, Jul 1, 2010
    Whats kind of funny about Classiche is they may not have the best resources either. They were doing a cert. on a 1950's Ferrari racecar a few months ago and could not confirm that the car had an original engine cover scoop when new. I looked the car up in several books and found pictures when the car was new with the hood scoop. The engine cover also would not fit without the scoop. Makes you wonder how accurate these factory guys are in some areas like bodywork!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago April 2011

23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    They do have a pretty decent stash of original blueprints/paperwork.

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #74 F1tommy, Jul 1, 2010
    Im sure as far as mechanical parts they are very good. Bodywork is the problem as they changed/modified parts without sometimes writing it down. Pictures are the only proof left.

25. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    They have log books, too. Maybe the original 0858 plans are handy ...?

Which iteration of this chassis had the most notable history?