348 - 348 weight distribution | FerrariChat

348 348 weight distribution

Discussion in '348/355' started by Huskymaniac, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Looking at some scissor lifts and I would like to know what the weight distribution is so I can estimate the center of gravity.

2. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I'm guessing the center of gravity right at the front of the fuel tank. When you raise the car up on the official jack points, you can almost teeter totter the car on that jack point under the rear edge of the door.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That's disturbing.

4. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I saw a few pictures of new 2020 corvettes crashed off of 2 post lifts. Now that it's a rear engine the weight distribution is different. Some of the GM techs didn't consider that and did the usual lift points they had been a costumed to. One vette was literally bent in half. I just ordered a 4 post lift. Didn't want anything crashing down.

5. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    When I have the car just on the jack points to drop the engine, I put a couple of plastic storage tubs in the front trunk and fill them with water. Other times after lifting on the lift points, I put additional jack stands under the rear subframe to stabilize the situation.

Huskymaniac likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I never actually saw those, I've looked. It must be a location rather than actually marked with C channels or anything. Got any pics for clarity?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    There should be a C channel at both the front and rear jack points. The paint stirring stick is showing mine. The jack points seems ridiculously far forward, but when it comes time to drop the engine there is a panel covering the fuel tank and front of the engine directly behind it, so anything behind that C channel will get in the way. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Perhaps something is under that panel. Mine is a 90 TS I think Spiders are different in this regard as that entire joist running length wise as yours shows appears not to be there. This may explain my year long confusion on the mysterious rear jack points.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Mine is a Spider also...

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Correct I know yours, hence the ts does not have the same marked lift points.comment. Tell you what, it sucks jacking 3-4 lift points.depending on the method and tool. The rear engine mount plate section is too far back to balance front/rear lift when jacking.

Thanks for taking the time, at least I know I'm not too stupid to see the obvious jack points now.:p

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. albagtp

albagtp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2014
    Beach City
    Full Name:
    Bryan
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    My 348 TB does not have any channels at the rear as jacking points, only at the front. I found the following pictures showing where to place the arms of a two-post lift:

Note that the left and right points at the rear are at slightly different locations. It appears that using the rear points as shown is safe as they are fairly far back. The area under the radiator looks inviting but it must not be used as there is no strength there (there were some cases of ruined radiators).

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes correct when using a floor jack those are what I use as well. The issue is it raises the rear more that the front when using a floor jack. It then turns into 4 individual lift points, multiple times to get it up 18 inches. Bit of a pain. Those Spider points apparently balance the front/rear car making side jackings with a floor jack 1 per side to get it up much quicker, really useful in limited space.

14. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    These locations are what I use with my '90ts. I've used these when performing my engine out too and the car was good on the lift for the whole ordeal with and without the engine.

15. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Awesome! Thanks for that data. So now we know the weight distribution is 40/60! With that, I can say that the F/R center of gravity is 975mm in front of the rear axle or 38 3/8".

16. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Also big thanks to you! You are always very helpful!