[348] Show us your belts and bearings! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[348] Show us your belts and bearings!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Either the compressor seized or the clutch windings shorted and overheated the belt, causing it to snap. Easy enough to determine by trying to rotate the compressor shaft. That said, even if the compressor spins I'd be tempted to have it gone through while it's off the car.

If the compressor did seize you need to determine if it threw shrapnel, because in that case the system will require more flushing than usual.

But something tells me Wade already knows all of the above. :)

Sorry it happened, Wade. Best of luck getting it all sorted. Let us know how you proceed. I've been jealous of your chilly AC system for a while now so I'll be interested to hear how you go about resurrecting it.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes Pap, easy fix on the 348. The location of the compressor makes it more so.

Mike, you know what happens when tuning for performance over endurance... ;)

So, the usual repair as with any other; replace the compressor, expansion valve and filter/dryer along with a full flush.

All's well again and the A/C is back to its frigid self.

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Do you know what the root cause was, Wade? I'm guessing compressor failure from what you wrote, but just curious...

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not really sure right now. The compressor shaft rotates without binding/grinding although it doesn't spin freely. And that's without caps or anything covering the hose connections/ports.

The tech said that he had a lot of difficulty with removing the clutch assembly, especially the pulley (which incurred slightly bent edges as a result).

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the response, Wade. I've seen the windings in those clutches short out before, so it's entirely possible that's what happened here. That's the absolute best case scenario since it doesn't leave shrapnel in the system. I'd pay the clutch $2k to fail instead of the compressor, and I do my own work so it’s all just labor to me. The point being that it’s an everlovin’ bear to get those crunchy bits out of your AC system…

What refrigerant did you use this time around? Is it as cool as the previous system?

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    If the compressor turns, then that is ok. The pulley bearing must have seized Wade.

The a/c compressor will never spin freely like a bearing as it's a pump so it will always be 'firm' to turn by hand.

They are even tighter to turn when they are brand new.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Before it was a mix of Freeze12 (was in the car when I bought it) and R-134a. I serviced it down to 36° for a bit but backed it off to the mid 40s and ran it that way for about a year.

Now it's fully serviced with R-134a and still around 40° while idling in the garage (measured with a laser temp sensor).

Great info, thanks Pap. I'll just keep the old compressor in the box for now.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    No worries mate, keep it in the shed. :)

9. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  10. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Slightly OT; Which muffler is that, and how do you like it?

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Very helpful and descriptive pics, Luigi. Thanks for sharing.

How many miles are on the old tensioner pads?

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great pic man, did you perform the major yourself?

13. boxcarracer

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Nouvalari Sport w/cat bypass. Don't know about the sound, haven't started it up yet lol

I do not know for certain, as I don't have records of the tsb being performed, but I believe they have 40-50'000km (25-31'000mi) max.

Thanks Pap. I wish I had a garage big enough to carry out this work, would have made a good father/son project with my dad. All I did was read fchat and provide the parts to my trusty tech lol

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the additional info, Luigi. So are you saying that total mileage in the engine was 50k km?

15. boxcarracer

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Mike,
    The car got its last major at ~60'000km w/o the oil pads on the invoice. I'm assuming the oil pump tsb was performed some time after the car rolled off the lot, that's why I'm assuming the pads have around 50'000km

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Too easy mate, thanks for sharing. :)

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can add to this thread, let me dig up my old parts.

Mine was 9 years and the belts just barely started to show wear. I don't drive it hard and it was about 10,000 miles.

I didn't deliberately wait 9 nine years, I wanted to do it at about 4-5 years (but that's a story on its own as to why)

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for sharing. Does the 355 have these oil tensioner pads ?

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes,

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Mitchell. Where are they located ?

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#71 Ricambi America, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  22. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Two years later from my above post, and here is an up date. I have just swapped my 12 year old Hills engineering thrust bearing and carrier, for another Hills unit.
    So this is what a 12 year old (25k miles) HE unit looks like in terms of wear and tear next to a new HE unit. Only the bearing its self has worn in terms of hight.
    R
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login