[348] Show us your belts and bearings! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[348] Show us your belts and bearings!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wade, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    And likewise, I should have some photos to share of my original 37k mi post-update (Stanyl) tensioner pad within the week.

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Schweet. Images of pad wear at that mileage will be a great data point.

3. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    #28 c7matt, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Will do, I'll be doing a "major" thread with pic's to help give back to the forum.
    Just finishing up a 64 C10 and going on Hot Rod Power Tour with it over the next 2 weeks. After that the 348 is my next project. Parts from Ricambi arrived yesterday.

now back on topic!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Guys, is it possible to inspect the belt anyhow with the engine still in the car? Possibly with a borescope camera?

5. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    you can pull the top covers, or if you have a lift you can peek at it. but looking at it wont tell you much on the condition, unless it has major damage.

6. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks, I'm currently looking at cars for sale, two of which have no evidence of the last cambelt change! But do have fresh cam cover gaskets and other signs of recent work.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The pics I posted earlier in this thread are of the belt in my car with the right bank top cover removed.

Since belts can break or lose teeth without warning, examining the belt should be considered a possible "no-go" test, but not necessarily a "good-to-go" test. My belt looks fine but there's no assurance that it won't fail next time the engine is started. On the other hand, the appearance of Wade's belt would have been a strong warning sign that it needed to be replaced right away.

In a situation where the belt is claimed to have been replaced very recently, it would probably be possible to get a decent sense of whether or not that's true by removing a belt top cover.

In general though, it is best to assume that the belt needs replacement unless there is credible evidence that it has been changed recently.

8. bmxracer50

bmxracer50 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2009
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brilliant! I would appreciate it!

Sorry for the quasi-hijack Wade. These issues seem to flock together. I'll contribute data when my belt job gets to the top of the docket.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Do not know if mentioned but if you open the timing case and go at the chain call ricambi america for the SRI pads that wear longer then ferrari pads. Also he is the only one with the Hill 170787 timing cover bearing. Do not use the ferrari chinese bearing because it fails quickly. If you want to see a failed ferrari timing bearing see peter's 550 sorting thread at the end of the thread. Petes bearing failed with only a few 1000 miles on them.

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    When the time comes, I am all over the SRI pads, as well as the Hill bearings (all of 'em). The more SRI parts on the car, the better! Just trying to determine if I can kick the can down the road for another five years.

11. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agreed, I want to negotiate the cost of the full service off the car, then inspect the belt and decide if it's immediately necessary. There's an oil leak needs fixing too so she's a bit of a fixer upper.

Are there any date markings on the belt?

12. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Yes there is a date code on the back of the belt but given the condition in your picture the printing looks to be long gone.

13. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #38 itsablurr, Jun 26, 2016
    Here are the pics... 1992 car 37k mi, factory update stanyl pads. 348 s/n 92607, assembly # 09604. Very much in need of replacement.

14. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    That clutch release bearing has to be around 10 years old as it was 2007 when we started to batch identify the bearings on the front of the casing!

15. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #40 348paul, Jun 30, 2016
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I've seen a few pics with that kind of failure. Fortunately, working on a 348 clutch doesn't require pulling the transmission, like so many other cars/trucks.

And thanks for creating a durable alternative (to OEM).

17. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    You're welcome - unfortunately with the OEM 355 clutch bearing its a case of when it will fail not if !

18. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    not sure how to cross post. Pictures of my tensioners are in "My Major" thread.

19. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    #44 DavidLMcAfee, Jul 8, 2016
  20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the update, David. How do the bearings feel?

And could you post a pic of the top of the timing belt for the archives?

21. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    #46 DavidLMcAfee, Jul 9, 2016
    They feel smooth, actually. No noticeable grit or hitches. One of them is completely silent when I spin it, but the other makes a slight hissing noise.

Here is a pic of the top of the belt.

Honestly, I thought the belt and bearings looked pretty good considering their age and the fact that they'd gone 11,000 miles. But I wasn't going to chance it. Not on an 11 year old belt and bearings. Prefer the peace of mind of knowing there are brand new parts rolling around in there, y'know?

22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The service was due. Belt looks good, but it needed to be done. Besides, it's more than just the belts that could fail.

23. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the followup, David. The belt in my car was last replaced in '09 and currently has ~3k miles on it, so it’s interesting to compare the two.

Agree 100% that it was time, but it's nice to know that the original bearings still feel good. Thanks for contributing to the knowledge base. I will do the same when I replace mine.

Glad you're enjoying the car again. :)

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #49 Wade, Aug 14, 2016
    So, I'm out for a nice drive and the A/C quits blowing cold just before I get home. Exiting the car, in the garage, there was quite a bit of white/grey smoke coming from the engine lid vents. So I open all of the garage doors and grab the fire extinguisher, then turned on the big fan to blow out the smoke...

Fortunately, no fire, from what I can tell.

I have no idea how this happened, but here's what it looked like afterwards:

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap