348 - 348 Re-startup Issue | FerrariChat

348 348 Re-startup Issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by bbchow0202, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bbchow0202

bbchow0202 Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Bernard Chow
    Hi all,

New to this group and nice to meet u all. Just got a 1992 348 which the engine hasn't been started up for years. Do I need to do anything or change any part to crank it up again? Thanks.

Bernard

2. Incaico

Incaico Karting

Jun 13, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    JR Sandoval
    Your first stop should be:

http://my348.com/

After you have ingested all of it, you will know. It helped me immensely on my Mondial t

Good Luck!

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    How many years?

The basics include:
    Draining the old fuel and oil and putting new in (making sure you understand the filling procedure for Ferrari dry sump engines).
    Pressure testing the fuel system for leaking seals. you may want to remove the fuel pumps to see if the rubber components are ok. See other forum posts on this issue. You will need to jumper the fuel relays to get the pumps running or put power directly on the pumps from the battery.
    Flushing old coolant and putting in new. Pressure testing the coolant system.
    Checking age and condition of belts
    Boroscoping the cylinders for rust and debris
    Lubricating the cylinder walls and waiting a day or two.
    Manually trying to turn the engine through a few cycles with a spanner or socket (easier said than done due to access issues).
    New battery
    ... and probably lots more.

What experience do you have? This may be a job probably best left for the professionals.

4. bbchow0202

bbchow0202 Rookie

Feb 12, 2021
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Bernard Chow
    I think I should leave this for the professional....Anyways thanks all!

Qavion likes this.