348 questions | FerrariChat

348 questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by NYJETSFAN, Nov 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    91 348ts around 20000 miles, owner thinks it had the 30000 service done on a few years ago, but how can I tell if there is no paper work?
    had a new clutch install last month got the paper work on that.

but when I had the car put in the air I noticed small oil leak around the rt rear side of the engine near a small flat shield or pan, I took pics and will post them, any ideas what it could be. I maybe interested in buying the car,
    but I dont know much about 348`s

Thanks for any help guys..

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi:

The car that you are looking at sounds like it has a sketchy history. If there is no paperwork on the service....it didn't happen!! If you do your own work...it'll run about $1200-$1500 in parts...if you take it somewhere...figure $5K. Remember that there is no such thing as a CHEAP Ferrari! Money saved by buying a sketchy car will end up costing you in the longrun....in extra repairs and when it's time to sell when you have a car with no history or records.

Have the car THOROUGHLY checked out by a competent Ferrari mechanic and use the lack of records as a bargaining chip...and don't forget to run a Carfax on it also!

If you have any more question write me direct as I've had my 348 for 14 years and have lots of experience with them.

Best of luck...Ciao...Dino

3. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr

THANKS INGENERE,

The car is like new! very very tight. what does a 30000 service need then?
    the car was bought at a estate sale, thats the reason for the missing paper work..

thanks again..

4. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Family Man speaks from personal experience <I owned two 348s> if there are no service records and the owner "can't remember" service work ... RUN away from this car. The leaks could be a camshaft bearlng problem <expensive>! There are lots of 348s on the market that are in good shape w/ service records up to date and NOT leaking oil.