348 - 348 Parts Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

348 348 Parts Thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by plugzit, Mar 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Anyone know where to buy these for a reasonable price. The link earlier in the thread is to a Volvo parts supplier, but they now want $200 each also. That is silly for a piece of magnet and some wire in a little tin can. Anybody have a good source? Apparently they are made in China, so I tried contacting the suppliers. They don't seem to want to talk to me. (!?) I need to replace both of mine - they are flaky. I was getting lots of check engine lights. I adjusted the gap to about 0.40 mm and now I am getting less lights, but still not none at all. Still getting code 1121. Since the original gap was within spec, I conclude that my sensors are going south.

2. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
  3. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    The vacuum solenoid valve is part number 111704, and sells for around $200. Alternatives??

4. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Well, I bought the last new one they had at Bayless Fiat. It was used on the Lancia Scorpion. Price? $18 fricken dollars!!!

Connected it to my compensation valve's "capsule" and no more codes thrown for that.

I got another very nearly new one from GT Car parts. Price? $75 Still compared to $190 that's a good deal. I am going to get another nice used one and replace both of the ones that power the air injection valves.

5. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #130 randyleepublic, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Universal Walker O2 sensor for 348s is part number 250-24000

I just bought two from Amazon.com for 33.10 each including free shipping.

6. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Actually it turns out that the ones GT Car Parts sell are indeed brand new, for $75 ea. That is the cheapest I can find them anywhere in the world.

7. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I just installed my new Airtex 5S1914, MADE IN THE USA, postion, (rev), sensors that I bought from rockauto for $136 ea. They are a hair shorter than the Bosch part, so no shims are needed and since they have much stronger magnets, they work perfectly. No more 1121 errors. Sweet! http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1288740&parttype=7196

WTF???? I just checked the rockauto catalog page to post the link for you all, and they have raised the price to $163. That sucks. You can still get Delco or Standard Auto versions of this part for about $145, but I still recommend Airtex - their website has the most complete and useful tech info of any part manufacturer's site (except for Walker who doesn't make these) - far superior to Bosch.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice finds Randy.

9. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Thanks Ernie! Just trying to do my bit to repay the brotherhood for the helping hand extended me in my "hour of need." My car would barely start - now it runs perfectly thanks more than anything to all the good advice I was given by the 348 brotherhood here on FChat.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's what the Brotherhood is all about! We look out for one another, and no matter how small the help it all adds up.

Long live the 348 Brotherhood.

11. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    +1 You got that right Ernie!! :)

12. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    This is interesting: the Airtex rev sensors are actually made in Germany. I know for a fact that the Bosch ones are made in China - I read ads placed by the factories in China where they are made bragging about it. A colleague suggested that they are probably made by Siemens. Maybe, who knows? Anyway, I am still getting 1121 codes, but that is because my flywheel needs to be re-packed, so it's banging around and putting noise into the system. What I am not getting is all the rough idling and nearly dying that I was getting with my worn out Boschs.

Doing the flywheel this weekend, and will report if that cures it.

13. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Randy,

Wow....thanks for all your research, time and effort... it really is a great service to us all... and I, for one, appreciate it.

Mike in Kuwait

14. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Hey, I am just following in the footsteps of the great ones - NoDoubt, Pap, and many others. Without their leadership, my little contributions would be meaningless. But thanks.

15. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #140 3forty8, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Time to bump this thread up.
    Crank sensor - KIA: 0K2A6 18891 (~$30/each from dealer)
    OEM Bosch unit (silver) shown on left; KIA unit in black on the right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Bump it up mate! :D:D

I am going to order some through my mate next days off. 4 week wait, but thats ok. Im not in a hurry. :D:D

17. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Have you installed those crank sensors yet? Do they really work? Crap! I looked at those, but I couldn't get any good dimensions anywhere. The Airtex ones make the car run much, much better, but I don't think they are worth an extra $250 for the pair over the Kia parts. Crap!

Thanks for nailing that one!

18. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As long as you get 'em before your major! ;)

Yep, I've been running them for about three months now.

No Doubt had these listed on his 348 primer - I hadn't heard of anyone giving them a try, so I threw a set on during my last oil change. So far so good!

19. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Eric - the folks at the Kia parts counter were blown away when I told them the sensors were for my Ferrari. They should be here today. Less than $100 for both. Thanks again.

20. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    There's also some reasonable chance that the 1991 Porsche 944 S2 thermostat (160 degrees F) from Beck/Arnley will work in our 348's, but I haven't tried it yet.

Just $8, though.

If so, then all Fiat X1/9 thermostats will fit our 348's, giving us a wide range of temperature options at almost no cost.

21. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    The X-1/9 thermostat is a 54mm while the 348 engine uses a 56mm. The Lexus 300 engine's thermostat fits correctly, is cheap, but gives no temp. options.

HOWEVER, the thermostat I removed from my car when I first started playing with this was a 54mm. They can be made to work with the use of gasket goop. I was horrified when I removed it, but now I think I am going to order a 195degree X-1/9 thermostat and go back to goop. Actually, with a good quality O-Ring of the correct dimension to help the undersize 54mm seal, one would need no goop. On third thought, I think a piece cut off a 56mm seal should be a perfect helper for the 54mm seal of the X-1/9 'stat. Will report.

22. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #147 No Doubt, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Measurements of the Stock 348 Thermostat:
    Flange: 56mm
    Height: 33mm
    Foot: **32mm**
    Temp: 75 deg C

I show a 31mm foot for the 2001 Lexus 300 thermostats. Is that enough of a foot to block the 348's bypass?
    If so, there are two Stant thermostats available:
    1. 170 degrees F: Stant 14077
    2. 180 degrees F: Stant 48128 and BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1430722
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1387076,parttype,2200

Also, is the height an issue (I'd hate for the bypass to be always blocked!)?

Note in the second pic that the Beck/Arnley 180 degree F thermostat appears to be shorter (shown extended), though...

23. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Huh? Woops! That's interesting: look at the thermo for the GS300 on Rock Auto. It shows the correct dimensions. Correct height. And, yes, the bypass is covered. I'll measure the hole when I drain it tonight if I can get a 195 degree thermo at Kragen for an X-1/9.

24. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Different engines! Dern, who'da thunk it.

25. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    So, yes, the GS300's thermostat is the correct dimensions to replace a 348's. I know cause I'm using one. Fits correctly with the stock GS300 seal. However, I want my engine to run warmer, so I am going to try an X-1/9's. The one I am using is supposedly a 180, but the engine doesn't run much warmer than 165 unless I am not moving. That is insufficiently warm. If the X-1/9 one works the way I want it to, I am going to order a 56mm Tridon TT235-195 from Oz. Don't know anywhere else in the world to get that.