348 Muffler elimination? | FerrariChat

348 Muffler elimination?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bentdoor, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bentdoor

Bentdoor Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    Hello all, I have a 1991 348 GTB. I recently purchased sport Cats from Fabspeed and am in the process of putting them in.

I was wondering if anyone has direct experience in what happens if the primary muffler is removed and the piping modified to go directly into the second muffler? Any threads about doing this? what happens to the sound? Any performance gain would be a plus but is not the immediate goal.

I really like the sound of the stage 2 Capistro, but can't stomach the price right now. In Canada our dollar is weak, 30 % less with fees than the US and then there is 8% duty and 12% taxes plus shipping.

Thanks so much!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #2 Llenroc, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    That in a sense is what Ferrari did with the 348SS and later versions, late ‘92 thru the end of production there is a single muffler for the US and Canada. Saved a bunch of weight and gained 12 hp. and sounds better. IIRC one of your mufflers is actually a resonator and the other is a muffler.

3. Bentdoor

Bentdoor Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    Excellent, thank you. I am guessing you are correct about a resonator and then muffler, makes sense, but now, which one to remove?

4. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Remove the top can.

5. Bentdoor

Bentdoor Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    I now have my Fabspeed sport cats installed. The only issue I encountered is the right header to cat donut was shot and it took about an hour to remove it in little small bits. It was a grey shiny material, not like the rest that look sort of like a pot scrubber (heavy steel wool?) crushed into a donut.

Now, today I just found a muffler replacement on line at vividracing.com

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-151395013.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvP6ABhCjARIsAH37rbRLGeaQuiKfbVRMurf9mb0UwTdxaM1cZGn_WHT8iWRcR0odWvZ00v0aAklTEALw_wcB

Does anyone have any direct experience replacing the oem muffler with this unit? You would need to run the original resonator with it. It looks like it would be a much easier plumbing job to do this than replace the resonator.

Neal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Why not just get a sport exhaust from a company like Nouvalari? I purchased a system from them years ago and couldn't be happier. It will get rid of your two can issue and sound wonderful with your new cats. Also, a tremendous weight savings is to be had. These systems are about the best bang for the buck. Very reasonably priced. I've had Tubi and Capristo and they sounded great but the cost is ridiculous for what you get.

7. Bentdoor

Bentdoor Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    Thanks you all for the reply's and info. I sometimes find it difficult to find old threads...

I found a Youtube video of a 348 with the system I had mentioned above and did not like the sound that much, too much boom at the low end.

I have bit the bullet and purchased a Capristo 2. I have seen nothing negative about them other than price. I unfortunately pulled the trigger on this before I had heard about the Nouvalari mentioned above, but I am excited for the new Capristo.

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I just thought I would chime in and seems I did some research years ago the spider uses a single can system which does reduce weight an sounds significantly better and are available on eBay from time to time but you also have to purchase some sort of hanging bracket from the spider.