[348] Long process of restoration | Page 4 | FerrariChat

[348] Long process of restoration

Discussion in '348/355' started by evgeny_yu, Sep 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    As you can see from the pics above there is not much left from the Spider's engine while I think that gearbox is still in working order. For now I'm not going to disassemble engine & gearbox with a will to keep 'em safe from loosing parts. When my car will be on the road again I will return to this matter cause I have some similar ideas with you. ;)

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the continued updates. The car is coming along great.

3. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Thanks so much for your reply! Keep up the great work. It is always amazing to see a project of this scale come together. ;)

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is a great thread...thank you for posting!

5. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    Thanks guys. You keep me motivated to go on further.

6. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #81 evgeny_yu, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #82 evgeny_yu, Oct 12, 2012
  8. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #83 evgeny_yu, Oct 13, 2012
    Car is back on it's wheels for ease of rolling it around. And I'm starting a list of things I'll need for my engine service... long and pricey. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Love this thread! Great Job!

10. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    You are a true hero! To start building up a car with so much damage will make you a legend once you're done.

11. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    +1 ;)

12. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great job Evgeny. This reminds me of my 98 GTB.

13. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #88 evgeny_yu, Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks guys. To be honest I thought that cutting a third of the car and welding it back will be more difficult but it went smoothly.
    BTW a friend of mine and myself were participating in a classis car rally on a previous weekend in his Aston Martin DB6 and we took a first prize in an absolute and 'post WW2 - 1970 class', doing the whole distance best of all. (I'm on the right)

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Enjoying your thread.... Hang in there and good luck:)

15. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Evgeny, congratulations on the rally win. I used to rally with a friend of mine back in our college days in a Datsun 240Z. Lots of fun. I absolutely love the Aston Martin DB6. That one looks like a beauty. Nice progress on your 348. :)

16. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Why are you holding the trophy if you were using your friends car? :D :D Just kidding. ;) That is a beautiful car. It looks like a fun time. :)

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    His friend was probably too tired to hoist it after polishing the DB6 before the show. ;) :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #93 evgeny_yu, Oct 21, 2012
    Don't you know that co-driver is the Boss? ;) Thanks for congrats.

As many other 348 owners I had cracks on both fenders so we checked them and after some discussion decided not to weld anything and leave it as is. In the end pic of a stripped front bumper. To me it looks like an overcooked pasta but the guy who's doing the work is pretty sure he'll be able to save it.

19. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #94 evgeny_yu, Oct 21, 2012
  20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This is just fantastic. Thanks for continually updating the thread.

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Evgeny, wow ! What an ambition project...all the best !

I'm curious, as I don't know much from your side of the world. Would it not have been more cost effective to buy a 348 already and just use this one as parts ? Or is cheap labour and just to difficult to import such a car to your area better? Or does this particular car have a symbolic significance for you ? And how easy is it for you getting the parts now for the resto.......I'm curious to the thought process and how you came to doing such a massive undertaking.

Congrats !

22. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    #97 evgeny_yu, Oct 21, 2012
    Well...
    The shortest answer is the fact that I'm a dedicated to moto/auto culture person.
    I touched this matter several times but will try to explain everything more clearly. I'm the current owner of the family business of a car care center. It is rather big with around 100 employees. I'm not currently managing it on a daily basis cause of my being involved in a 100 000 sq. meters construction project but I've spent all of my childhood there browsing around and repairing my two wheelers. I received a 50cc honda for my 5th birthday and bought my first motorcycle with my own savings when was 13, first serious accident the same year and 6 months was not able to walk with most of the bones broken in my left foot but I kept on riding. Than cars, some fast cars, drag racing, challenges and so on and on. I've got a gasoline in my vines. Some people help children, some animals, others help old people, I also feel for everyone that in need of help and try to do something for them. But I've got a similar feeling for legendary cars and bikes that are dying slowly and hopelessly and any Ferrari car is one of legends.
    In most parts of the world a 348 is an entry level Ferrari but here in Russia there maybe 5 or 10 of them. There are lots of modern Fs, Lambos, thousands of Porsches and Bentleys, millions of Ms and AMGs, several Veyrons and so on. I think all of you heard about 'iron curtain' that separated us from other world for 80 years so we had no chance to buy any foreign car until end of 80's. At that time there were quite strange tastes and only german cars would be thought as good cars while everything else would be just toys. (Here I'm talking about European part of Russia, Eastern part is completely different with mostly RHD cars) First official F dealer came to the market in late 90's- early 00's so during this 10 years most of exotic cars that were grey imported were killed by poor maintenance, bad roads, accidents or criminal affairs. And now we've got restriction customs for cars older then 7 years and engines more then 2000 or 2500 cc, can't remember. It is 5,7 euro per cc import tax so just customs will be around $25000.
    Concerning labour, it is not cheap in Moscow. Moscow is one of the most expensive cities in the world (usually 1-4 place in overall ratings). But since I've got my own business I'm paying to myself and in the end it's just a salary of employees that are doing the job with no extra. My car cost me ~$30k + burnt Spider $3k + €500 for the bonnet + labour = complete car, everything else that people do in their 348 resto projects will cost me practically the same in parts and much less in labour. So everything is not so horrible as it seems. It's possible to find some filters and belts here in stock but any other part should be ordered from abroad for 348 but tons of parts for 360, 430 and further. I expect $70-100 for tracked shipping for 30k service kit as an example so you can understand what's going on with expenses on ownership of a 348.

P.S. You should have seen my next project in person and you wouldn't think that my 348 having any special amount of work. This one is a complete mess.

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Great story !

I look forward to the other pictures you post as you progress, awesome project !

24. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    Nice thread! fantastic work! I'll keep watching

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Here's a 5 year old photo of my dad and I just getting back home from a drive in his Triumph TR3A - I'm the one driving:

I had never before driven a car that was built before I was born, so that was a really interesting experience. It was in pieces getting some major refurbishments last time I was back visiting, so perhaps I'll get to drive it again next time I'm over in the States. Now it has some engine updates and a roll bar. Here's my dad with the updated car and his awards at a local car show - I think his Triumph TR3A was awarded "best in category" and "the mayor's pick", but I can't quite remember precisely:

Immediately after he got home from that show (and that picture) the fuel tank ruptured and spilled gasoline all over the garage floor. He managed to get that fixed too though. :)

Good luck restoring yours! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.