348 HVAC ECU | FerrariChat

348 HVAC ECU

Discussion in '348/355' started by rivee, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    So the last couple of years my hvac has been going haywire. Fan off and on for no reason, and other odd behavior. I opened up the console and took the ecu out last week. Connections looked good. I put some dialectic grease on the connector and nothing changed.

So I opened up the ecu to look for bad solder joints but found nothing that would cause it to go nuts like it does. Put it all back together and started up the car. Now there’s nothing coming out of the ecu. No clock, no fan, nothing.

Question is who rebuilds these things and are they reliable?

Or is there something I’m missing here?
    The hidden 30amp fuse and holder is good.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    "No nothing" sounds like the ecu isn't getting any power. I'd check it's connector again. If you still have the passenger side console kick panel removed, try wiggling it's electrical cable.

3. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    the wires with the yellow connector on the end and going to the hvac controller is in a plastic loom. Does this set of wires have another connector somewhere?
    Like above the passenger foot rest?

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Apr 22, 2018
    Qavion likes this.
  5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    However, according to the wiring diagram, there are two connectors between the dashboard harness and the a/c system. Connectors 14 & 21.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dielectric grease is an insulator. Did you put it on the connector pins by mistake?

Many of the wires don't go through 14 and 21. I'm not sure which is the power wire though. It was mentioned recently that the white wire (on pin 26) was for background lighting power. There is also a procedure for fixing up the (internal) plug pins in the HVAC control panel mentioned in this post:

Dim Clock and A/C LEDs

Here's the F348 HVAC diagram:

F348 HVAC Wiring Diagram

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Apr 22, 2018
    Looking at that wiring diagram, it seems that pin 1 is the power pin for the HVAC Controller. If you still have access to the plug, maybe you could check for voltage there, John?

If no power....
    Pin 1 goes directly to the relay socket for the Evaporator Fan Relay on a brown wire (See "68" on the wiring diagram). The brown wire is visible in the photograph Wade posted. No plugs involved. Power doesn't go through the relay, but goes directly to the 30 Amp fuse. When you checked the fuse, did you check there was voltage (the fuse is connected directly to the battery bus bar in the passenger footwell)?
    If there is power at the fuse, move on to the relay socket and check for 12 volts on socket "30". That is, pull the relay to do this.

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The wiring on pin 3 is a little tricky to follow. I see ignition power goes via Relay B in the passenger footwell, Fuse 6 (also in the footwell), HVAC connector (14), Compressor Clutch Relay socket (67), Evaporator Fan Relay socket (68), then to the HVAC Controller. I think Relay B and fuse 6 should be ok. You'd have a lot more things not working if these were faulty.

10. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks all. I’ll do some testing tomorrow for power to the unit.

Miroljub, I followed your instructions for replacing the power ic’s In the fan controller box. Got it done but won’t know if it works until I get the other fixed.

Qavion likes this.
  11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I suggest you clean out the dielectric grease from the yellow connector as best as you can. There could be some misconceptions as to how and where the dielectric grease is used. It is not recommended to be used on connector contacts. It does not improve contacts between pins and sockets but it may reduce the connectivity (being an insulator), especially in connectors with small pins and with weaker contact pressure. Dielectric grease should only be used on sealed connectors and on their rubber gaskets/boots and the gasket mating surfaces to improve sealing.

12. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I had a few issues like you describe. The yellow plug was the problem as the wiring loom came in at an tight angle which put the plug under tension and it didn't seat properly. Relieved the tension and its been fine since. Worth a look. Mine is a RHD so loom position may be different.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, especially on the early cars (HVAC controller w/ white backshell). If the connector cable ran in the opposite direction (flipped 180 degrees) the strain would be completely eliminated.

Photos show OEM configuration.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pangea likes this.
  14. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Miroljup, I didn’t know that about the grease. I’m cleaning it out as we speak. But I am getting power at all the pins you described above.

So after I clean everything I’ll check it and get back to all. Thank you

John

15. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I finally got everything working in the ecu but the fan controller doesnt turn on trhe fan.
    I did the upgrade following Miroijup's instructions but its not working, at least the fan doesnt come on.

I think one of the problems with the ecu is the 19 or so push-pins are too short. So what i did is slightly bend all 19 connectors
    so they all make contact

pins that connect the white box ro the black box