348 fuel Door actuator alternate part found! | FerrariChat

348 fuel Door actuator alternate part found!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bill Gelinas, Apr 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Gelinas

Bill Gelinas Rookie

Aug 2, 2006
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill Gelinas
    I have been trying to replace the fuel door actuator on my 1994 348 spyder and seems the original part is unavailable for the most part, I did see one in Europe offered for about $500 the original was last priced for $750 ! so I also have a saab 9-5 and discovered by chance that the part used by Saab is so darn close and perfectly usable to replace the crappy Ferrari part that jams up, this Saab part is also bit hard to find but I got a good used one for $10 from any 1999-2002 9-5 model, it has two wires just need to use old connector from the the original part splice it in and wiring done, there is also on the saab part an emergency cable just like the Ferrari one has , I did not disturb the original cable and handle just undid i from the actuator and zip tied it up to the air duct. Then I just draped the cable over the air duct so it hangs down just below shock tower below original door emergency pull and can be reached there easily and still looks stock with original pull in place. The new solenoid actuator had a threaded nut that will hold new one in place I put a washer behind this to adequately cover the hold in body to secure it, also I machined a washer with a buss on it to take up slack and center the shaft for the actuator in the body hole. this hole is aprox .790 thousands in dia and i used a 1-1/4 diameter piece of aluminum round stock to machine a small buss on the piece it only needs to be about 30 thousands or so thick of raised buss and about 80 thou thick of whole piece sorry no pictures of this part, its like a 1-1/4 outer diameter washer with a .400 thou hole in middle with a raised buss on one side that pops into body hole centers the washer and centers the new saab actuator threaded nut. The saab nut has a nice rubber boot with a angled shaft that allows the fuel door to ride over easily when closing and if you orientate the new actuator just right it will mate up with the plastic hole in fuel door perfectly. Sorry don't have pictures of the little washer I made but you can see it fits in there perfect and the nut inside the fuel door opening is similar to how original works and it works perfectly. I wanted to post this as I sure there are others out there that need a solution to this and this is cheap and damn near perfect match.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

spaghetti_jet likes this.
  2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Grate find (I also have a Saab 9-5, 1998). The p/n is 5117072 and it appears to be in stock with most Saab parts suppliers (~ $120).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Very creative solution to an otherwise tough potential problem!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. solana_sc

solana_sc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Oliver
    Great find! Thanks for the write-up.

5. bayferrari

bayferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    William
    I did this, works like a charm. 20 bucks for a used Saab part, small spacer on the inside of the fuel filler side, adjust the gas lid and no more blowing fuses. I think the solenoid will last the lifetime of the car.

6. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    I found that you can take them apart and clean them out. The one on my last 348 was filled with dirt and corrosion. Cleaned out and work perfect

308 GTB and steved033 like this.
  7. Bill Gelinas

Bill Gelinas Rookie

Aug 2, 2006
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill Gelinas
    Yes the saab part is far better made than the original and will last a lot longer. no more cleaning the old part that rusts and jams then blows the fuse

8. London348

London348 Rookie

Nov 30, 2022
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Widmann
    Hi Christof, how were you able to take it apart? I've been trying but can't figure out if the barrel gets pressed out or unscrewed somehow.

9. Bill Gelinas

Bill Gelinas Rookie

Aug 2, 2006
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill Gelinas
    You hold the part inside the fender whit your hand or a wrench / vise grip then put a wrench on the nut part inside the gas lid and unscrew the nut part then the solenoid slips out through the inner fender area, I assume you have the inner fender pulled off ?

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Andrew, whichever route you take take some photos if you can to add to the knowledgebase :)

11. London348

London348 Rookie

Nov 30, 2022
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Widmann
    Thanks Bill. Though I meant how did you take the solenoid apart, if you did. I already took it out. Although I didn't have to remove the inner fender, I just reached my hand to the back of it via the engine bay.

12. London348

London348 Rookie

Nov 30, 2022
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Widmann
    Will do. Thanks!