348 - 348 challenge questions | FerrariChat

348 348 challenge questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by money_rat, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. money_rat

money_rat Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Connor LoCascio
    I am looking at making a potential offer on my in-law’s neighbor’s 348 challenge. The car is finished in Sera Blu with tan leather. The paint appears to be in okay condition with several scratches. The plastic bumpers appear to be fading as well. He keeps the car out front year round as he prefers to keep his 70 El Camino in the garage. In talking with him, he disclosed he received the car as a gift from a friend. As the conversation progressed it became clear that he did not have a lot of knowledge on the car, for example he did not know the name of the paint color or specs of his specific vehicle. He mentioned the car is coming due for an expensive service that he doesn’t want to pay and he may look at moving on from the car. I did some on research on some of the forums here and I found out that about 2% of 348s were finished in Sera Blu. Additionally, only a small amount of 348s were converted by their respective dealers into challenge cars. I haven’t been able to decide on an offer number. Do you have any suggestions? This would also be my first purchase of a Ferrari so any other advice would be helpful.

Thank you!

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Is it a true Factory Challenge? It has a plate on the passenger door jam that says Number x of Y.

If so, it's worth a bit more than a normal 348.

3. money_rat

money_rat Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Connor LoCascio
    Thank you for your response! I'll have to ask the owner to see the plate next time I am over at my in laws. The only indication that the car is a challenge is the badge located on the right side above the taillight. That could easily be an aftermarket addition. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

4. Redsteed

Redsteed Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mauro Marchese
    I would suggest you snap a pic of the vin tag in door jamb or top of steering column and pic of the assembly number on left rear strut tower and research.

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    The real value is if the car ever actually raced in the series back in the day, and if it has any of the original Challenge parts such as roll cage, seats, harnesses, fire bottle, undertrays, fog light lens covers, wheels, etc...

A "factory car" only had the roll cage mounts installed at the factory. Dealer still had to install the "kit." Most valuable would be a "factory car" that actually raced. Next would be a "non-factory" car that raced. But if all of the Challenge parts were removed and now gone, value is diminished.

If you get the VIN, many on here can help with if the car raced or not. I'd be glad to help. I have quite a bit of series documentation.

foresterguy and Ira Schwartz like this.
  6. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I need better friends.

7. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    See Jason’s comment above- he pretty much nailed it.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  8. money_rat

money_rat Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Connor LoCascio
    I appreciate the information. I'll be able to talk to the owner this weekend and see if I could have a closer look at the car. I'll be sure to look for some of the parts you listed. Hopefully, I'll have more details soon.

9. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Take some pics. Especially down at the floor by the front of the doors where the roll cage would mount, and on the floor by the back of the seats at the rocker for the rear roll cage mounts. Peel carpet up a bit in those areas. If a roll cage isnt present, it should be obvious if one once was, which is at least a partial indication. Definitely get the VIN.

Something else to look for would be a red electrical disconnect pull under the hood by the cowl on the drivers side, and another one on the passenger side of the trans tunnel.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    A blu sera Challenge? Yes, pics are a must.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What Jason said

Post pics and serial
    Make sure to get pics of the floor where your feets go

12. money_rat

money_rat Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Connor LoCascio
    The neighbor was not home. But, I got closer look at the car today. It is a targa top. Not sure how I missed that the last time I looked at the car. I apologize for that. I'm guessing it is 348 ts with a 348 challenge badge.

13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Many TS's raced in the Challenge series, and some of the 'factory' cars were TS based.

Any sign of a roll cage?

308 GTB likes this.
  14. money_rat

money_rat Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Connor LoCascio
    I knocked at the door for a few minutes and snapped a quick picture. When I saw the targa top, I was pretty disappointed. I was under the impression that all challenges were hard tops. So I didn't get a good look.