348 Challenge floor / roll cage | FerrariChat

348 Challenge floor / roll cage

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by chromapilot, Dec 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    #1 chromapilot, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hi there ! two questions... do you guys (and gals ?) have any pictures of 348 Challenge interior floors ? i started removing the carpet (which i doubt the car raced with) and oddly, the floor is red, even though it should have been sprayed black ? also interested what the handbrake looks like, on mine its cover is sewn to the carpet (which shouldn't be there in the first place?)

another mystery is the roll cage, which is original but had been painted red by the previous owner. it looks like it's missing the x-shaped cross bars on the ceiling (marked no.5 in the diagram). my cage has the brackets... any insights there ? that particular element will probably be a nightmare to source... thanks for the info & happy new year to everybody !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    My car (098791- #26 of the 32 "factory" 348tb Challenge cars) is still in original, "as raced" condition, (except for bigger Brembo F40 brakes) but I live in Baltimore and the car lives in Florida, so I'm unable to check/photograph these details- if you'll remind me in a few weeks I'll do so when I'm down there for Cavallino.
    I have removed the driver's side bar and stashed it in the garage since it's awkward to climb over it when I drive the car to/from the track (yes, I have a license tag, which is feasible in Florida), but have the remainder of the cage intact- I'm sure you're correct that the x-bar will be very tough to source-I suspect you'll need to have one fabricated, but at least the brackets are still there!

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yes your missing the X brace

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Most of the cars seem to be missing the x-brace. It can easily be made if you want it. But consider a few things about the challenge cage. First I could never acertain what the cage was made out of. There was no thickness spec although you could drill an inspection hole which many racing bodies require anyway if you wheel to wheel race. It is also possible with an inspection hole to determine if the tube is DOM or ERW. Today the side-impact protection technology is vastly superior to what was available in the 348/355 challenge cage. Also, there is a very dramatic difference between the chassis stiffness of the 348 with a welded vs. bolted cage. When I made the switch to welded I basically had to learn how to drive the car all over again. Huge! Huge positive difference! When you consider costs and safety and performance you may want to go with a new properly welded cage. There is no question that if you want original and original patina you have to stick with what you got.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #5 308 GTB, Jan 1, 2017
    Right. The X-brace limits headroom.

This was corrected with the F355 Challenge roll cage...

6. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    #6 Ianbts, Jan 2, 2017
    My car first raced in the 1993 Italian Challenge series and there's no cross bar, but I have no idea if it was fitted originally. You can see the mounting lugs have been cut off on one side to make room for the seat. With the bars in place headroom would be a problem for me when wearing a crash helmet.

7. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    dear all, thanks for all the valuable feedback... my assumption was also that it had been removed due to lack of headroom w. the helmets. the driver of my car was already quite tall (close to 6ft)...
    just didn't know whether weight/race rules permitted omission of roll cage parts for the races...

8. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
  9. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    Coming back to the floor colour question. While I haven't lifted my floor coverings the areas I have seen seem to be white which is the original body colour.

Good luck with your car, it looks great!

10. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    thanks for the great pics ian ! so your car raced with the floor coverings, or were they put in later ? i assume as much flammable stuff as possible was removed for the races... would you mind sharing a picture that shows your hand brake area ? much appreciated !!

11. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    #11 Ianbts, Feb 5, 2017
  12. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    interesting, thank you ! where did your handbrake disappear to ? :)

13. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    My car has only ever raced so I guess the hand brake went a long time ago.

14. chromapilot

chromapilot Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Prague
    Full Name:
    Vladimir
    makes sense :) really cool car you got there... would be great to see it in the flesh at some Challenge meet in the future !

15. Ianbts

Ianbts Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Nottingham
    Full Name:
    Ian Sterling
    #15 Ianbts, Feb 6, 2017
  16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002