348 center console new design mod | FerrariChat

348 center console new design mod

Discussion in '348/355' started by MDshore348, Jan 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    one of the things i dont care for is my 348 center console, -! gummy finish, ,unuseable ashtray , poor fit , funny coinholder? ,all in all it detracts from the whole car. when inexperienced ferrari poeple get in and see it , they are like" whats up with this.? "ive seen better in a kia .
    i would like to make a one -piece updated drop in console piece this will include , no ashtray- who smokes in a ferrari? , recessed drink holder(s), accesory compartment , cig lighter (concealed in compartment , for cell phones, etc. ). any ideas , or interest ? i will have a design ready soon , and would like some input before i consruct a mold. and anyone who would be intereste in one of these - please let me know . to keep costs down for now , i will consruct this out of FRP and finish will be matte black .

2. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    I'm interested! I use the compartment between the seats for CD's (early 348) but certainly would use the ashtray area for a cup holder/cell phone/etc.
    If you can, post your design!

3. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    I would be interested

4. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    im working on it in the shop next week , will post a pic of a prototype

5. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Look forward to pics..Sounds interesting??

Good Luck,
    Mike

6. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    #6 worth it, Jan 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The previous owner of my 348 Spider felt similar so he had an armrest made to match the interior. It is an exact match using the same leather, etc.. Having a place for storing sunglasses, radar detector, etc

I agree the center console design is lacking. The armrest adds a lot of comfort when doing casual driving. The closest thing to cruise control comfort in this f-car.

Thought this may help you with your design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I do not like the look of that pleated console. It looks like something out of a 1950s era cafe'.

axarunner and albert328gts like this.
  8. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I think it is a good idea, but IMO it would look a lot better w/o the pleats...esp in a black interior.

9. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    padded armrest , yes ? i was thinking of one straight panel from the front of the shift gate, to the rear of the open tray. within the open tray area , i planned on making a simple hatch opening. where to get the matching leather is the question . does anyone know where to get this?

10. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    Darron - I purchased the car from Ferrari of Houston - the guys there said they had seen one other like this and mentioned a local guy using "Connolly leather" - I did a "google" on this and found the following site selling this type, http://www.worlduph.com/connolly.htm

Frank - No offense taken , but honestly it presents great in person and it is useful.

11. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i liked the armrest, the stitching matched the seats..

12. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    cant find the black connolly leather on that site. any other options? maybe to get the other color and dye it... substitute?

13. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    So no smoking in your ferrari but a cupholder is a must????

Ferrarimondial348 likes this.
  14. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    There's a distinct difference between smoking in your car (very smelly) and having a coffee on the go while on a trip. I'd love a cup holder!

15. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The armrest/compartment thing does look like a neat idea...

16. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    #16 MDshore348, Jan 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ok , recieved the carbon fiber material today for the prototype.
    question - where the ashtray/coinholder is currently located, is a dual recessed cupholder preferred? or should it be concealed with a lid to streamline the look(minimalist)

17. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    In my opinion, the lid would be a nice touch! Hidden when you do not want it, open when you do!

18. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Personally I like the console just like it is from the factory.

Why would you take out the ashtray and replace it with a cup holder???

Spilled coffee, soda, or other beverage between the seats smells better than cig smoke?

Ferrarimondial348 likes this.
  19. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    on the long road trips , i def need a sip now and then, but the cupholder can also house my cell phone, etc . the current ashtray is useless, asp if you dont smoke! ive never seen such a wierd set up with the little inserts. the rubber coin holder is warped and poor fitting imo . the reason for the cup holders is to not spill anything!:)

20. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I think a cupholder is a much better idea then the ashtray. I drink 20 oz bottles in my Ferrari with no fear of spilling...However, I would never ever smoke or allow anyone to smoke in it, and if they did smoke...they would ashing out the window. But if you replace the ashtray, what about the cigarette lighter outlet then. I think that is more useful then either of the other two.

21. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I am for the cup holder. It would be a welcome addition to the wasted room an ash tray takes. I would just use the cup holders to hold a little bottle of water with a lid or something similar. I would be concerned about spilling as well.
    I would really love the arm rest with extra storage space in the cockpit. A locking top on that storage would be ideal!!! I could actual leave the handful of crap I always seem to carry with me in my car with the top off. What do you guys think?

Mike

22. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Early 348's like mine have the locking compartment at the back of the centre console already. Still wouldn't hurt!
    MSshore348...what's the status?

23. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    got a little busy at work , so i had to put it on the back burner. i laid up a carbon fiber test piece , with some reinforcement, but when it cured it warped . so back to the drawing board. i will prob make it look stock instead , at least at first until i can get set up for cf layup. stay tuned ......

24. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Pics?

25. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    no pics yet..
    also looking into a pre cast fiberglass panel , which i will CAD cut. need to make a dimensional vector file first...