348 - 348/355/360 wheel offset | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 348/355/360 wheel offset

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That can happen with stock wheels and ride height as well. Example - when entering/exiting a steep driveway at full steering lock a front suspension corner can get very compressed. My previous 348 had a similar "snag" but less so (not noticeable unless looking from below).

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure the offset did not do front math yet but the tire looks right probably 225. I like the 215 front and 295 rear both are .1 larger than oem so zero changes to suspension.

You will want to avoid this with machining. Search for a thread called 360 wheels on a 348 I think it was. Read it closely.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/331477/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 348 front did that but I had 11mm spacers I was going to take off 2mm assuming it was that...

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have a set of 18" Fikse FM5 wheels, 9.5 in the front and 11.5 out back (total width). Tires are 245/40 - 18 and 295/35 - 18. Still in project mode...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145280510/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    These wheels were originally custom-ordered for and used on a 348 Challenge car during the 90s.

I'm interested in the offset as well (out to do more measurements...).

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #32 Ferrarium, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    What width are the rims? 10.5" and 8.5"? How is it with all the rubber? I figured one would notice the unsprung weight compared to the svelt 348 setup.
    Because I REALLY like the 550 wheels on the 348, is why I ask, they too have wide azz rubber.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #33 Wade, May 21, 2019
    Yes, 8.5 and 10.5.

Using this calculator, the rear offset is 51 mm.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #35 Ferrarium, May 21, 2019
    Put in 10.5 for the wheel width, its the rim width as the top dimension not overall. ET is the distance from center of the rim to the back plate flange face.

The 550 wheels actually need 21mm removed making ET 53 to be the same as the 355. I have seen 550 wheels on a 348 and the track was similar to yours I bet it was about 55-60 ET, taking off 21mm from 550 wheels is a tall order but 10-15mm sure. Your stance is a bit wider still from the pics, hard to tell but it appears so, I bet your closer to high 50's.

Tommy J. likes this.
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting. I thought for sure this guy said "total width". ;)

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.

Attached Files:

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok that makes more sense given other 10.5's I have seen. Keen wheels Wade I bet they are light and rigid!

You need to overall width to measure suspension coil clearance against tires etc but that that's not wheel ET which is German for insert depth or something akin to that.

14. D N M

D N M Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I love the 360 starfish wheels on my 348. The lugnuts are a different length than the ones for the original factory wheels. I have no spacers on with the 360 wheels

technik1 and Samir Goncalves like this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #40 Ferrarium, May 21, 2019
    360 and 430 FRONT wheels will have 6.5mm wider stance than 348/355 front rims with 11mm spacers installed. So they will fill the fronts better and I think look better. Given that stock wheels can eat the fenders I bet this does no favors. My stock 348 with 11mm spacers catches the inner fender sheet metal and you can't really roll them the liner sits right there. I mean you can but you have to force it. I would machine off 7 mm from the fronts.

At that point it makes more sens to just but wheels from bcforged in the correct offset in whatever concave and color you wish like these HRE P47 variants.

19" HRE P47's in 18's and silver poweder coat they would be perfect I'll wager.

Surfari and Tommy J. like this.
  16. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Here is how my rear sits, took a picture this AM as I was on my way to work.
    This is a 95' Spider. Tires on rear are 275/35. Absolutely love the way it sits flush.
    Have ordered 225/40s for the fronts.

Will be lowering it in a few weeks time when I have a free weekend.

Click thumbnail for full size image:

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Lools good. Some love that look no doubt. Some don't. It's all personal preference and that's that.

But if someone wants 360 wheels to sit like 355''s (like I do) macine info ranges are at top of post.

Post side view ! You changing ride height all around basically resetting suspension? Your rear tire will be smaller than your front with 275 and 225s as I'm sure you figured out.

I wish I could lower but I scrape all over the damn place in NJ. I miss Arizona roads can slam a car there. Not here, oohhh noooo.

Bertil likes this.
  18. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    Those BC Forged might be a really good solution. 430 style but 18". I like.

360 CS wheels look very good as well.

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's right but 18" and better looking than 430 IMHO. The double spoke deal looks good with the cheese graters perhaps better than the 360 startfish. A 295/35 x 19 tire is like an inch taller. Better not turn the front wheels while compressing suspension or corner real hard it will eat the fenders. Looks good but practicality not so sure then you have the whole resetting spring heights chasis setup and alignments.

20. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #46 Ferrarium, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    I like how the one guy at the end says with the 19's he's a little taller than stock. His rear tire is over 2" taller, one would need to lower the car 1" then reset suspension. He is right about the 360 tire size selection imho.

That post has some good info for sure but it is not 20mm milled off although one could. Picking our the correct bits takes effort as there is conflicting statements.

For the most part the post says they fit no issues and also you need to machine them. Thing is some people like the wheel offset sticking out of the fenders look and if so, bolt on up no doubt you'll get what you like. Some don't even realize it I'm sure. The trick is understanding what does "fit" mean. Doesn't rub therefore it fits! I don't think fit and what one likes are the same thing... Its actual math if your using oem 348 or 355 as the measure. 15-17mm off rears. Beyond that it's what you prefer and thats all well and good but there is a distinction is all I am saying.:)

Go for the look you want there is preference to consider here but go in armed with correct information, this topic in general forum wide is riddled with inaccuracies that causes confusion, same with 430 wheels. Spun me out for months too.

22. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke

This is all really good information to have. I'm sure I'll drive myself crazy with measurement when I do take the plunge. Most 360 wheels I've seen need to be machined. At least the look to my eye. Wheels are primarily a cosmetic thing, imo. I'm not trying to extract tenths out of this car. Lightweight wheels enhance the driving experience, to be sure, but I'm mostly after a look. Luckily, I can take my time. Every time I start thinking about mods, the more I think this car looks damn good the way PF penned it. So I'm happy stock for now, but I'll change a few things eventually. I'm sure I had a point to all of this, but I've lost it by rambling. Carry on

Michael_Davis likes this.
  23. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
  24. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    Those look amazing wow!

25. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I concur, front also needs caution.
    With OEM 360 rubber, 215/45R18, these definitely rub. (Michelin Pilot Sport)
    With 225/40R18 they rub less, but they still rub. This is with Pilot Super Spor, front tread width 7.7"
    Falken RT660, ToyoR888R, Hankook RS4 are 8.2" to 8.3" tread and would rub more.

I haven't damaged my fenders yet, but I can hear/feel the rub under specific circumstances.
    In particular, bump at turn-in of #5 at our racetrack, if I have a passenger.
    Also, a faint trace of red paint on my tires.

360 fronts have an offset of 31.5mm
    348 fronts have an offset of 49mm
    The difference is the equivalent of adding a 17.5mm spacer.

I'm thinking I need to machine minimum 5mm - this would be the equivalent of OEM + 12.5mm spacer.
    Or more if I want to choose a tire with more tread width.

Does anyone know how much can be machined off 360 rims before shorter bolts are required?