330GTC Transaxle Seal Replacement | FerrariChat

330GTC Transaxle Seal Replacement

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330BRC, Nov 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    It is time to replace the leaking seals on the 330GTC transaxle. It looks like the forward and left/right outboard seals are all weeping. Does anyone know if this can be done with the transaxle in the car? Also, feedback on the degree of difficulty to accomplish this would be great. Bob Z.?

2. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi Bob, I don't think this will be possible with transaxle still in the car (unless anyone knows better?) because the left and right seals are fitted from the inside of the cover plates. You will have to split the rear cover joint in order to release the flanged cover plates and this is much easier to do on the bench, not to mention reassembly which should include re-shimming to set up the crown wheel properly. Incidentally I think the new seals will be handed to allow for rotation.
    Good luck,
    Colin Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I started out trying to do it in the car but gave up when Collin gave me the same good advice. I am glad I did it because I ended up needing to replace the side and front cover gasket and the shift rod seal. I don't think you need to re-shim the differential, just don't mix them up side to side and don't damage them. I also don't think the side seals are handed, at least mine were not.

The removal can be done by yourself and is about as difficult as pulling a VW engine, but the installation really needs two people to align the drive shaft splines while wiggling it into place.
    Removing it also gave me the opportunity to inspect the innards, clean out the sump and paint the case.

I did a write up on the other site if interested. Search on my name or the word transaxle.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Both output seals can be serviced without removal of the transaxle, but require removal of CV axles and differential side plates. Service of input seal would require removal of the transaxle (or engine + torque tube), so it would be advisable to do them all (and any other related service) with it out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

-CD- likes this.