328 vs 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 vs 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by riverflyer, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What is that supposed to mean?

Doesn't make any sense to me. The 288 GTO's body setup is different, its engine is different (actually close to the 348 being longitudinally mounted), its interior is different. The 288 GTO is as close to the 328 as to the 308. It has styling elements from both, if that's what you mean.

2. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Tifosi,

My reference is to the gauges, they are the same as the 288 actually taken from it, the steering rack is also, thats all.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't know about the steering rack, but the part about the gauges is definitely not true:

Not only are they different (the 288 GTO are all red, the 328 have orange and red) in appearance, they're also in different locations and for different things.

The 288 GTO interior setup might look similar to the 328, but up close it is very different. It is actually a mix between 328 style (e.g. the temperature control buttons) and 308 style (plane like toggle switches).

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Tifosi

You can go to Ferrarina website for info, they even specify the Gto gauges are utilized in the 328

GTO

5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have a 348 spyder and its been a great car. I have never had any problems with mine. my 348 has got 365 Bhp and moves fast. The car handles great, The car feels like a go-kart. The back end can snap out, but with practice the car can be driven to its limit. The 348 is not as forgiving as the F355 at its limit. The sound of mine is has good as the F355 with straight pipes a a very, very samll back box. it really does howl. The 348 is a driver's car........

Here are mine performance fiqures..

F348 Performance Data
    0-100 km/h - 4.7 sec / 0-60 mph - 4.6 sec
    Top speed is 295 Km/h / 183 mph
    Max Rpm Limit - 8200 rpm
    Max Power Output – 269 Kw / 365 bhp (PS) at 7,800 rpm
    Max Torque – 375Nm / 278 lbs/ft at 5,200 rpm

I think the 348 is more aggressive looking with side grate vents and sharper front end. The rear of F355 is nicer though. In Italy they call the F348 the baby tessa in terms of looks. Its got that classic ferrari appearance where the F355 to more rounded. I love the F355 but its the mass production model for Ferrari where the F348 was a limited run being rarer.

252 made - GTS
    137 made - GTB
    109 made - Spyders
    50 made - GTC

The 348 late 1993 to late 1994 are the best ones. All sorted. Wider track, better electrics, more BHP, better body styling.

The F348 Ferrari Spyder was launched in 1993, running alongside the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS. It was the first two-seater spyder sportscar made by Ferrari since the 365 GTB/4 (Daytona) Spyder last sold in 1974. It was the first mid-engine two seater Spyder produced by Ferrari.

There have been many engineering developments and design refinements to F348 series that have improved its Performance, Handling and Comfort.

In addition to the modifications to the body configuration of the F348 Spyder, there had been significant technical changes that enhanced the performance and road stability.

Engineering developments included a transverse gearbox with revised ratios for quicker acceleration and a free flowing exhaust system for higher power output. The wider rear track with an improved suspension system assured better handling and manoeuvrability.

In 1994, the evolutionised F348 GTB/GTS cease production with the all new F355 GTB/GTS. The F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were still produced alongside the F355 series.

The late F348 Ferrari Spyder’s were further evolutionised by introducing the F355 characteristics onto the F348 Spyder’s as a development platform for the all new F355 Spyder that was to be released in 1995, when the F348 Spyder cease production.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the pat on the back ShanB. I really can't talk about the 328, cause I don't have one. How ever when I was looking at buying a Ferrari I looked at modial's, 308's, 328's, 348's, and TR's. I went with the 348 because the 308/328's were just to old looking. At the time the TR's were a bit too much so I didn't go with one. I got the 348 because when it first came out I liked it, and still do. Even though they are now over a decade old they still have a timeless look to them. Everyone else has pointed out the power issue, so I won't go there.

As Shan pointed out I do my own work. You know what I found out? It is no big deal. Compaired to a regular front engine car yeah it is a bit of a pain, but still not that big a deal. I really haven't counted up how much I have saved, but for sure it is in the thousands. My engine out, including tools, is gonna come to around $2,000 - $2,500. That is including buying the parts, hand tools, floor jacks, jack stands, air compressor, impact wrench, engine dolly ($19.95 at Home Depot, hehee), etc. and I'm still headed $4000. If I were to have taken it to a dealer they quoat you $6000, but you can figure on another $1,000 for all of the little things they will find. Oh and don't think that I have worked on Ferrari's before, cause I have NEVER worked on a Ferrari, until now. As a matter of fact I have never done something like this on an engine. I have changed flat tires, the oil, replaced spark plugs, removed an alternator here and there, but nothing this size. You just have to get over the name and realize it is still an engine. I will say this. With any Ferrari if you do your own work they aren't that costly to keep up, other wise be prepaired to pay out the bucks to the dealer.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Great post Ernie. Could I email you with some questions. I do all of my own work on all my cars and want to talk tech with you as I am looking for one and want to check out as much as I can of it to get more than the inspection will show. Thanks.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    308gts, I have no problem with you e-mailing me. I am happy to share what I know with you. However let me just say that I am far form an expert. I have done quite a bit of work on my car but there are other guys here that know way more than me. Non the less I'm still happy to help you with what I can.

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Can I get your email or shoot me one and I will email you back? Thanks.

10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Kenyon is quoting 355 performance or maybe has done some serious mods to his car

The stock 348 and 328 have very similar quoted performance figures

12. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Interesting discussion. I have had all three. 81 308, 89 328 and now the 92 348. Can't say I'm an expert in any of them but here is my $.02 worth. I really loved the 328 but the 348 is a much more comfortable car. In my experience, the performance is far superior. Acceleration, torque, smoothness of engine ect. The draw back is that the transmission needs to be really warmed up befor the car shifts correctly. I like the styling of the 348 better than the 328 even though the 328 is a classic. It is really a matter of taste. Get what you enjoy and have fun. I plan to own every V8 Ferrari so the 355 is next, unless I just jump to the 360. Depends upon the market. I'm always a little confused by all the disrespect the 348 seems to get. The car is actually very good looking, decently fast and reasonably comfortable. I like the grates on the door, makes it look a little more exotic in my opinion. All in all, I love almost all Ferraris. Don't shy away from the 348 if that is what you like. Be prepared to spend the necessary funds to maintain the car and enjoy it until the next one! (I also really like the 550, so maybe a V12 can get me away from the V8's)

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The quoted performance figures

348 0-60 5.4-6.0 seconds 1/4 mile14.3-14.8 seconds

328 0-60 5.5-6.1 seconds 1/4 mile 14.4-14.7 seconds

348s have 300 claimed hp but weigh 100lbs more, the performance figures for the 348 are nothing near superior to the 328 and are actually very close. No big deal anyway as both are old cars.

Looks are subjective, but the 348 is more dated now with the 80s side vent look vs the clean fresh look of the 328

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    First of all, I still feel lucky to own one of these things...even if it is 14 years old. Ernie, interesting comment above. Many of the car mags described the 348 as a 4/5th's TR. The 348 and TR were both the cheese grater cars... people seem to either love them or dislike them.

15. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #41 kenyon, Dec 1, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Graph Representation Data
    Blue Line represents the standard Power Output
    Red Line represents the increase Power Output – ECU/Ignition/Injection Mapping Upgrade ONLY
    Further Power Output increase – As per Performance Upgrades listed below

My F348 Performance Upgrades
    1. Dimex / H&S Electronik Engine Upgrades
    ECU/Ignition/Injection Mapping Upgrade, Adjustable Bosch Fuel Regulator Upgrade, Tubi Design Non Cat- 316L Polished Stainless Steel ‘Free Flowing’ Exhaust System, Optimisation of Airflow with K&N Filter System, NGK Platinum Racing Plugs,
    Gas Flowed heads with polished valves & seats.

2. Fiorano Handling Set-up
    Ventilated Tarox Brakes Disc, 4-Pot Brembo Callipers, Momo 18” Light Alloy (8.5 & 10.0) Rims, Bilstein Adjustable Dampers, Eibach Sport Coil Springs with anti-roll bar racing re-configurations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Kenyon, sounds like a well thought out upgrade package. Performance is very important to me so could you give me a balllpark on the cost to accomplish this kind of performance with a 348? How does your car now compare to 355 model? thanks again, John

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW, I see what looks like automatic seat belt tensioners in a pic of 348 I was checking out. Is this true? and do all models have this insidious device? I had same on an 89 SPG and though I did get used to it I still disliked it all along.

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Riverflyer,
    US market 348's have motor mouse belts except for 1989's. They are also very prone to failure and very expensive to fix or replace which is why most owners don't bother. I hate them myself.

Dave