312 Crash at Monaco | FerrariChat

312 Crash at Monaco

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bland, May 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    Sorry to see this. 312 crashes at the Monaco Vintage Grand Prix Race.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuHuDIBbOl4]Big Crash Monaco Historic GP 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

TB

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Painful to watch.

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #3 GIOTTO, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Since many years now, many old racers are crashed and badly damaged. Owners and drivers should be more carefull. You can always restore or rebuid a car, but precious original parts are lost forever. Those races are just stupid.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Saw it last night. As far as the drivers are okay, i feel sorry for the cars.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I didn't realize Pastor Maldonado was doing vintage racing now.

6. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
  7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not unusual if you use the cars...

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Most the guys who race the old 50's cars have replica engines & trans they use to race while the originals are kept at home

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Absolutely terrible driving, clearly turned into him at 26seconds.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Notwithstanding the fact that the Ferrari driver squeezed the other driver into the wall, in the linked-to thread, there are a number of posts stating that the vintage racing scene in Europe is much different from that in the US. That, apparently, the US drivers are just "chugging around" and that they're not such good drivers. Now, I've raced with many US drivers who aren't very good (don't know the line, all over the track, slow, don't use mirrors, etc). BUT, I've also raced with US drivers who are very good. I've also been on track with European drivers who are reckless due to their aggression (taking unnecessary risks).

I'm planning on running the Le Mans Classic in one of our GT cars or, possibly, an LMP900 at some point. If it's going to be trading paint at every corner until the peloton spreads out, I may make another choice about whether to consider something other (and less valuable) than a Ferrari. I'd like to hear from those who've spent a fair bit of time on the European vintage scene. Any commentary on these musings?

Obviously, I think the posts reflect gross generalities. There are good and bad drivers on both sides of the pond.

CW

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I think what you've heard is pretty accurate, I haven't raced anywhere but I've spectated at plenty of historic events and they don't mess about. Watch some online videos from Goodwood revival etc.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, I have watched some of the Goodwood Revival races. They are clearly racing hard. And, I acknowledge that they are driving fast. In fact, Goodwood often sees a number of former Pro drivers. Including from F1. So, that's reasonable to expect.

I'm talking more about late breaking, diving into the corners, and forcing the issue when and where it doesn't need to be forced. Driving fast is one thing, but there's no need to trade paint in a historic race.

I'd submit to you that there are plenty of fast, competent drivers on this side of the pond. Maybe our sanctioning bodies take a dimmer view of contact? They encourage fast driving and in-the-corner passing, of course, but they certainly don't support reckless behavior. Although, I have definitely seen them let dangerous drivers participate for too long in certain series.

CW

14. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Steve Earle stated that anyone 'trading paint' would not be asked back to Laguna seca for the historic meetings. Clear statement that your there to put on a show not win at all costs.

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Agreed. But, are the Europeans trying to "win at all costs"? In historic/vintage racing?

If so, that's my concern. What next? Sabotage?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm comfortable driving in these instances. I give plenty of room and don't protect the line (at least, not until the last lap). If you can outbreak me, outbreak me. I'm fine with that, and I'm fast enough (and can find time when I need to to be faster). Just don't go sticking your nose in when you have no hope of making a pass stick. If my tire is ahead of yours, I've got the line. Over-aggressive driving will cause incidents, and I won't be pleased when someone puts us both out if I'm the lead car.

CW

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that was true but steve and the historics at laguna have long since parted ways.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari driver was an idiot and 100% to blame!

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    For the record, I don't know this driver personally. I know of him, however. Small community.

However, to me, it looks like he just didn't know he had a faster car coming up on the inside, moved over on it, and the resulting incident ensued. Sure, the Ferrari driver is to blame, but "idiot" seems a bit harsh. I've seen worse conduct on race tracks. Unfortunately, this involved high dollar cars and was being broadcast for everyone to see!

CW

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if he didn't know car was coming up, then I will take back "idiot", looked like a couple moves to me more like blocking and maybe didn't know other driver couldn't flinch with the wall.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Guaranteed, both of their phones were ringing within ten minutes of the shunt inquiring
    if their cars are for sale.

BHW

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How much does a 312B2 or any 312, V12 or Flat 12, trade for currently?

22. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #22 gt4me, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. bland

bland Karting

Jan 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tim Bland
    The 312 B2 was the Jackie Ickx car from 1972. It is currently owned by a gentleman in the Seattle, WA area.

I am sure the car will be rebuilt has it has been done in the past. If it was made once it can be made again. The suspension pieces have been replaced before.

Some say these cars should rest in museums and displayed as a part of history. I believe the cars need to be driven with respect and maintained for future generations to see and hear.

TB

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    He was censured and excused from the event...