308 Winter Maintenance / Cam Seals / Cam Drive Bearing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Winter Maintenance / Cam Seals / Cam Drive Bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jford10014, Nov 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #26 jford10014, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ok - thks for everyones post.

Dan - The Parts total I would say at this point is around $1000. This is everything for the major, plus this bearing job. It's difficult without going through all the papers to say, as I've also been buying tools along the way, and I've also got some cosmetic parts (like new distributor rubber boots for example) as well. But ball park around ~1000. The most frustrating thing is that other than two shift shaft seals and the trans sump gasket, all the rest of the parts are sitting in a box waiting to be installed....

I was also a QV wanna be (well really a F-car wanna be) for a long time. I don't post much on this board, as the my technical expertise doesn't match most of the guys here, but if you want any advice about going from Wanna-Be to Be let me know.

Verell / Ham - thanks for the tips. I ordered a new seal today and two replacement ring nuts.

Ok - I have two new questions.

The first is, if you look at the TAV008 picture, where exactly are the "outer bearing seals". My guess would have been that it's either 38, 39 or 36. However these are described as "Washer", "Ring" and "Ring".

Second - Suppose that I wanted to take out the timing gear cover. (I don't btw - really trying to avoid it). From the research I've done, you have to take the engine sump off (done that), then undo the three nuts holding on the pick up tube, then double nut the studs and remove the studs.

My question is, why do you have to take the studs out ? Bear in mind that I'm no where near the car, and I'm just looking at the parts diagrams. Why won't the timing cover come off without removing the studs ? If you look at the below picture (stolen from the JWise thread) I can see where the pick-up tube attaches to the timing cover. But if this still had the studs on, couldn't you just lift it up and out ?

This may be a stupid question, and wishful thinking on my part (If I only had to take out the pick-up tube.....I could replace the rear bearings as well....)

Jas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Never mind to the second question - I just figured it out. You have to take the studs out because the timing cover won't go up. If has to be pulled out to clear the crank / damper end - right ?

Makes me wonder why the picture above has a Stud in it ?

Wishful thinking on my part....

Jas

3. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #28 jwise, Jan 19, 2006
    That photo was taken after removing the engine and spliting the engine crankcase from the transmission. Once we had a stud broken, there was no need to remove the other studs because we were going to split the components anyway.

Here is a photo installing the outer circlip in front of the outer bearing.

Yes- I hope you don't need to take that timing cover off either- just a whole new list of things to go wrong. In my case, it was necessary (this has been debated) unfortunately.

The second and third photo shows the damage to the outer bearing when it failed, and also shows how hot it must have gotten displayed by the cooked oil on the timing drive shaft. The inner bearing race was practically welded onto the shaft. Took alot of work just to get that inner race off without damaging anything.

Good luck-
    jwsie

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Working from left to right, the somewhat terse FPC English part names translate to:
    39 ring - Circlip
    35 bearing
    38 washer - conical spring washer, inside of cone is adjacent to bearing.
    39 ring - Circlip
    36 - Seal

The seal is the last thing before the gear. That's why it's so risky to change, it's easy to push out of the housing. That strong circlip just in front of it doesn't help as it's easy to slip & push the seal thru while removing the clip.

BTW, those Circlips are hefty ones, you need a good strong circlip tool to remove them. I've got a Craftsman one with a handle like their screwdrivers & changeable tips that does a great job on these & the waterpump circlips. That's it removinb the outer clip in the top JWise pix.

5. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Hmm. If that seal was to pop out of the housing when you tried to remove it and push up against the gear face, how on earth would you get it back through to remove it? It would obviously still be on the timing gear shaft, so maybe you could attach a couple of small screws and pull it back through with a puller? I don't remember how much distance is between that seal face and the gear face when it's installed. Can't be much in there.

This problem alone would make replacing that seal in situ very tricky. Maybe it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Also- how do you avoid marring the new seal surface as it passes over the cir-clip grooves?

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes it is, especially if you're the type that tends to get a bit carried away when twisting fasteners... ;)

The outside of the seal will get scraped up a bit, can be minimized by deburring the circlip groove edges, & maybe even slightly breaking the sharp edge. Still,since it isn't a moving surface, the risk of problems is pretty small. You could even avoid that risk by using a metal rim seal instead of a rubber rim seal.

7. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #32 jford10014, Jan 22, 2006
    Hi,

managed to get an hour working on the car today, which was unexpected.

Good news was that after spraying with PB Blaster (that finally arrived) and a good zap with the air gun, I got both nuts holding the cam drive gears off.

Then more good news, using my new puller which I bought last week at Sears, I pulled off the gears.

Then I managed to get the circlips out.

Then I managed to straighten out the bent cam pulley (I don't have a picture of it straight yet). I need to file / sand it down a little, as the edge is fairly rough, but it is straight again which is good news as it saved me $200.

Then the bad news is that I had to stop.

Carry on next weekend, where I should get a decent amount of time (although my guess is that it's going to take me the whole w/k to get the woodruff keys out.....any tips on that other than wacking it with a punch ?)

Sykes tools still hasn't arrived. Essex parts are out of stock. I call the guy every other day hassling him to see if its arrived yet, but no luck so far.

Still - progress today - light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train!

Pics below

Jas

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Wow!,
    That was a seriously bent flange! Much worse than any I've bent! Glad to hear it straightened out!

Thank goodness they used a nice mild steel for them! One of the new high strength steels would have broken when you tried to straighten it out.

BTW, pls post the Craftsman p/n of that puller, It fits the drive gears quite well & apparently clears the drive gear flanges!

BTW, I've had a heck of a time getting the woodruff keys out. Ended up using a brass drift & tapping them out. Took longer to get the $!#$ woodruff keys out than it did to pull the outer bearings & reinstall them!

9. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #34 jford10014, Jan 22, 2006
    Hey Verell,

Here is a better picture of the puller. Next weekend when I go back upstate, I will try and find the packaging to get the P/N (pretty sure it's in the garbage in the kitchen, which luckily I didn't throw out !)

I'm pretty sure it's this one however : although I thought I paid around $45 for it and this one is $59

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00930162000&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools

The claw of the puller didn’t quite fit behind the gear, although if it was “lightly” tightened down, it had enough to grab it. Once I pulled the gear out a little, I was able to readjust the claw to fit snuggly behind the gear. I’m not sure if I was just lucky or not.

That being said, you could probably file down the end of the claw to be able to slot behind the gear.

Not looking forward to the woodruff keys. Don’t have a brass punch either – maybe I should buy one before starting this.

Jas

PS – any tips on a product to clean the gunk off of my timing case ?

10. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #36 jford10014, Jan 28, 2006
  12. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #37 jford10014, Jan 28, 2006
  13. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #38 jford10014, Jan 28, 2006
  14. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ok - hear is my latest problem if anyone can help. got both the old bearings out - cool

cleaned up the area where the bearing sits.

started to insert new bearing using old nut and washers / pullley.

So far so good. Got the new bearing, however cannot get it all the way in. It's currently sticking out ~2mm. It needs to go in another ~4 mm so that I can put the circlip back and lock it in.

I'm now at a point where turing the nut is very very hard. When I try and turn it, more often that not the engine tries to turn. Have tried "locking" the engine (5th gear / handbrake / screwdriver in caliper). Have tried a variety of washers, pulley, even the old bearing.

I can clearly get a bigger wrench or air gun, but is this a good idea ?

Should i tap it with a hammer ? probably not, as this will just break the plastic ring.

Any ideas ?

Jason

15. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    #40 ham308, Jan 29, 2006
    Verell and Jwise can correct me if I'm wrong, but probably you are just tightening the bearing onto the shaft and not actually pulling the outer bearing housing into the engine. A gentle tap should do it.

good luck and well done.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Are you using one or more thick washers that transfer force equally to both the inner & outer races? Ie: They're very close to the size of the bearing & just clear the shaft & the bearing's hole?

The washer(s) stack must be at least 1/8" thick or more.
    This ensures that they're pressing equally on BOTH the inner & outer races, without bending.

Try gently heating the timing cover with a propane torch. You only want to raise the temperature of the area around the bearing to about 200-250F. ie: Just to the point that a bit of water dropped on it will steam off, but not enough to cook the grease out of the bearings. The heat will expand the hole in the cover enough so that the bearing will slip into place.

Usually I can get the bearings seated by hand, maybe with a bit of heating.

However, sometimes I have to resort to using my butterfly air wrench on the nut. The butterfly wrench is very good because it works by little blows that won't turn the engine over if it's secured as you describe. Usually the butterfly wrench either with some heat, or by itself will do the job.

Very infrequently, I get down to the last few mm & have to stop using the nut because it's about to strip. pull the nut & cam drive pulley off, slip a deep socket down over the shaft. While pressing the socket firmly against the stack washers, tap on the back of the with a brass hammer to drive the bearing into place. Again, a bit of heat can help.

Umm, did you put smears of anti-sieze, or axle grease on the shaft & hole, & on the shaft threads before starting didn't you? Makes a big difference in how easily things slip into place.

BTW, how long did it take you to get those pesky woodruff keys out?

17. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ok - here is what I did.

Firstly the woodruff keys. The first one took about an hour or so until I figured out exactly how to do it. The second one, once I figured it out, actually took about 10 mins.

Here is what I did. Turn the engine so the woodruff key is facing upwards. Using a thin brass punch and hammer, tap on the end of the key which is nearest to you. This has the effect of turning the key in it's hole and so the end which is furthest away from you is now sticking up. Eventually the end closest to you will be flush with the shaft.

Then using another punch, which has the same diameter as the key, you can tap the key further into the shaft. This again brings the end furthest from you up.

You can sort-of see this in the very out-of-focus picture above. Once you tap the end closest to you, as "far as it will go", you should have a fair amount of the other end sticking out. Then I got some copper electrical wire which I fed round the back of the key sticking up, and pulled toward me. This yanked it out.

Not sure if This would work for others, or if I was just luckily in getting the second one out so fast, but it worked for me.

Ok - now the bearings - got the old ones out and cleaned the shaft and hole.

Took the new bearing and put some 3-1 oil on the outer and inner races. Also put some on the shaft and hole. Stuck the bearing on the shaft. Could only push it on a very small amount (just enough to get the ring nut on - i'm amazed that you can "push these in" - i must be doing something wrong)

Tightened the ring nut to the end of the thread, more or less. At this point the nut is only applying pressure to the inner race, but I figured (perhaps wrongly) that this was ok, as the bearing was no where near the hole.

Then took off the nut. Put the damper washer in front of the bearing and go through the same procedure with the nut. This does apply pressure to inner and outer races, and gets the bearing in about half way.

Then using a thin washer, stick the pulley on and go at it again with the nut. This gets the bearing into the hole with about 1-2mm sticking out. Ideally you need it 1-2 mm in as it has to clear the circlip groove, so I'm now about 4mm short.

This is where I got to saturday. With a whole bunch of combinations of pulley / washers /nuts etc I can't get it in any further. The nut tightens and then just turns the engine. If I stop the engine from turning (gears / handbrake / screwdriver) I cannot tighten the nut further using a socket and 8 inch wrench. I could get the breaker bar out, but I figured that would probably just strip the nut.

I also took the old bearing, got rid of the plastic rings on both sides, removed the metal inside which holds the balls in, so I was left with just the inner / outer races and the balls. I put that onto the shaft, nutted it on, washered it on, so that it was now pushing up against the new bearing. I figured this would also apply even pressure to the inner / outer races as it's exactly the same size. Again with this, washer and nut, I turned the nut to the point where I though I was going to strip it. No luck - I sykes tooled off the old bearing.

Yesterday I tried getting a piece of wood, and tapping it with a rubber mallet. The wood was thick enough to cover a "semi circle" of the bearing. i.e. I tapped the top, then the bottom, then the left, then the right. The wood covered both inner and outer races and spanned the hole.

Thie actually yielded a good result. I got the bearing about 1-2 mm and it was now flush with the case. This made be happy. I then attempted to cut some wood to try and touch both the outer and inner races, but not the timing cover so that I could bang it in the final 1-2 mm. This sort-of worked. It had the effect of pushing the bearing in further (still not enough for me to put the circlip in, but I can now see the groove !), however it also had the effect of slightly damaging / denting the plastic ring (not sure what you call that). That was the point I decided to stop and sulk and go and drink beer.

I'm now wondering if I've damaged the stupid bearing. It's been bugging me all day today, and I'm actually considering buying another bearing. I'm sure it will be fine if I put it all back together, but then again, it would really suck if I did put it all back together to find there was something wrong with the bearing and then I had to take it all apart again......

As far as getting the bearing in - either the current bearing, or me spending another $100 on this little project, my latest thought were to go through the above again, put the old bearing on top of the new one as I did on saturday, and then hit it with the wood. This should then work, as the wood seems to do the final push, and if the old bearing is there in front of the new bearing, then I would not damage the plastic ring.

Anyway - thoughts welcome and appreciated

Agggghhhhhh

Jas

18. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Looking at the cross-section I posted, tightening the nut is going to only force the bearing onto the shaft and if you use a large diameter washer or the old bearing outer race it is only going to put the bearing into shear and maybe damage it.

I still think you need to whack the outer race. Probably the old outer race will do fine as an intermediate spacer to whack on and then you can syke? it back off.

19. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    Hi everybody. I just thought it was interesting that someone else was doing the same thing as me at the same time! I've been spending a 1/2hour - hour each night doing the same job on my 328. Its stressing me out. One challenge after another. The stress comes from messing something up. I don't have money for a new engine - which is the reason I am doing this myself.
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank the people on here who make it all possible for us newbs and relatively po' folk to do a job like this. I would have gone insane by now if I approached this job blindly.
    Ok, so tonight I am at the challenge of removing the woodruff keys (I'm a little behind Jason). I started tapping on them and it looks like I starting to smash it - which can only make it more stuck - it would have the effect of flattening it and widening it (making it even more stuck). Can ya'll elaborate on the removal? When you tap it with a punch - what angle is the punch in relation to the shaft? What about tapping on the end tip of the key? As in the punch is parrallel to the shaft. I know it "should" come out tapping on it - but mine seem extremely tight -so tight it is deforming (and I assume it is pretty hard steel).
    What is the exact bearing part number? (not the ferrari #, but the SKF #) I don't have mine out yet to read it, but figure I could order it ahead of time from the bearing store.
    When pressing in the bearing using the old nut on the shaft - is there any risk of damaging anything? (you are pushing in the bearing - put you are also pulling out the gear/shaft) Could that damage the inner bearing? what holds the position of the shaft/gear? In other words - what keeps it in place - keeps it from moving toward you or away from you as you look at the front of the engine.
    Sorry, guess I ended up asking questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil

20. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi,

I would also like to thank people on this board for thier help.

Phil - glad to see somebody else is doing this also, and glad to see that my post is useful to others, and not just me asking a bunch of stupid questions.

To remove the woodruff keys - firstly you MUST use a BRASS punch. Do not be tempted to use anything other than BRASS. You had to hit it pretty hard, and Brass is softer than other metals, so the punch will deform rather than (in this case) the woodruff key of the shaft.

I covered the woodruff key with WD40 and PB Blaster.

Then I rotated the engine so that the keys were facing upwards. DO NOT DO THIS if the Cams are still attached. I simply did this for ease of access for the punch / hammer.

Then, with the punch 90 degree angle to the shaft, and the end of the punch on top of the woodruff key, but not in the center, but on the end furthest away from the engine you hit the key and it should start to turn.

What will happen is the punch will deform to the point that you have to reface it (hit it with a hammer so that it's square again on the end).

I spent the first hour with the punch parrallel to the shaft trying to tap it that way, but no luck.

Hope this helps.

I do not know the bearing part number.

If you get as far as installed the new bearing, please post a blow-by-blow account of how you did it.

Thks

Jas

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The 328 outer timing bearing is a non-standard size. We tried to source them last fall & could not find a match. As best we could determine, it's a custom for Ferrari. The ID & OD combination does not cross-reference to any bearing by either SKF or NSK.

I believe I held onto 1 of the bearings & will post the # stamped on the race. However, it's a 5-digit number instead of the std 4-digit number.

22. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    Hello again,
    I spent about three to four days getting the woodruff key out. There is next to nothing left to it. Mine is really soft metal. For those about to do this proceedure - the woodruff key is very deep - it is almost a half of a disc. So it will cam out by beating on the one end. I was a little doubtful since I've generally seen keys that are shallower. Anyway what seemed to work for me is just to use a chisel and cut the top off the key and make it flush to the shaft. Then just pound on it. Soak it in pb blaster and heat the whole thing up. By trimming it flush - you don't make it wider by pounding on it - if it is wider - then it can't turn through the slot.
    Then I had to take a break it got cold out. Today was warm so I went back to work on the bearing. I made my own puller. I would recommend three pulling point vs just two, I think it is easy to keep it from getting cocked on there and sticking. So the trick here was to take a paint stripping gun and heat up the engine. I had the puller tensioned and I was heating and I heard this snap noise. I thought the worse - I cracked the casing from thermal stress. But it was actually good - it was the bearing breaking loose. Finally! Only took a week. Once it broke free, it pulled out the rest of the way no problem.
    So now it is out - here is the part number!!!

SKF 630647

The full marking goes like this - "SKF" then 90 degrees over - "630647" then 90 degrees "ITALY M", then 90 degrees - "G".

Anybody know what the G is? Anybody have a good cheap source. McCann has them posted for $60, but I think I can do better.

With the outer bearing out, the shaft can be pulled forward and pushed back, maybe a 1/2 in. Is this what others have experienced?
    With the outer bearing out, the shaft has wiggle. Maybe 1 mm at the end of the shaft. What have others experienced? I'll measure it if anyone has a measurement to compare to?

Ok, now my concerns with putting the bearing back in. You have to bang on the bearing - so you are banging on the shaft. What is the shaft banging on? Is there concern for damage? It has to be hitting something - what?

Thanks,
    Phil

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    That's the bearing we tried to source last fall w/o success.

It's definitely a non-standard ID-OD size combination, I searched all the major bearing mfgs for a bearing with those specs w/o any luck.

1st time I haven't been able to alternate source a deep groove ball bearing given the numbers on it's side, & it's dimensions.

Even the SKF reps couldn't cross-reference it. If you have better luck, please post so we'll know.

Did think of making a sleeve shim to adapt a std bearing to the shaft. You can find std bearings with the same OD & width as that bearing, but the IDs are always larger as well.

24. jford10014

jford10014 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Phil - glad to hear you're making progress. I haven't worked on mine since I posted last. Hopefully will get some time on it this w/k.

You can get the bearings from Superformance in the uk for 14.99 sterling.

With my bearing out, you can push the shaft in an out slightly (not sure if it's as much as 1/2 in) and the shaft would also wiggle slightly.

Let me know how you get on with putting the bearings in. I'm going to have another go at this tommorow or sunday.

Jas

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    these are for the 308 an even on those there are differences between an early and a late version.

Best Regards

Martin