308 Window Motor died... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Window Motor died...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Andy 308GTB, Mar 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
  2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I had heard good reports about the Birdman Fuse Boxes.
    I am not at the stage where I need to touch my electrics yet but I was a little nervous of the 'more power' type solutions as my thinking is that if the mechanism isn't right, forcing it to work using more power may not be a great idea.
    But an efficient fuse box probably just highlights how feeble the electrics are more than anything else.

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

After I removed the door panel and plastic, and started trying to diagnose the problem I noticed the motor did not even make a noise when the switch was in the up direction, only down. On a lark I had a pair of correct style switches (These have sharp edges as opposed to the later style with more rounded edges) I bought 20 years ago, plugged one in and it worked....... The cable were a bit slack and I tightened the tensioner, but since the window was working fine I took the tension off, and left it as it was.

On a side note I decided to try my emergency window crank and it felt like something was going to break and no response from the mechanism, only to find out the correct one in my other car was what was the one for this model. But when I tried that one in both GT4's I could not get either one to work at all, and fearing unintentional damage decided to ask if anyone had ever use one of these and their experience???

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The thread is almost 13 years old, so you may not get much of a reply, silcon spray in the runners aways helped alot for me.
    Never need to use the crank.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    13 years! just a drop in the bucket!

6. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Old threads are always useful as my driver window suddenly stopped working on Monday and I need to fix it!

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Always check the fuses and relays first!

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Absolutely aand fuse already checked. No relay on the window winder circuit. I think power is getting to the motor as aircon fan speed dips when I depress the up down button, so looks like some power is being taken. Can't access the car till Tuesday but will then connect the motor direct from the battery and see what transpires

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    You will just need to dismantle it and clean the old grease out - that's what I had to do with mine.

10. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Will find out tomorrow when I take the door card off and investigate. Strange it just stopped working when it was always quicker than the passenger window.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a pretty good tutorial on YouTube of a girl taking the motors apart, 24 hours to disolve the solid wax of the old grease, then reassembly.

Are you sure about relays?
    I thought OEM we did, but the Fast Window Fix moved them to within the doors.

They are on the fuse card now.

But it's most likely the packed grease, mine don't move at all...they just stay down, as far as possible.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    She gets really deatiled about checking the worm gear lash and all clearances.
    It's an interesting show.

I think most shops have just gone to slamming new ones in, for expedience