308 timing belt change. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 timing belt change.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rossa a nord di, Apr 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    You might want to get Verell's cam clamp. I know you believe 1 has slipped, Verell's camp is marked so that you can do a quick check if your ki the ball park. Be sure to turn the engine by hand to line up the marks.

Stephen

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    and if you do a leak down,what are the % that you can be different or off,lets say its ok if they range from 10% -20%,would that be ok?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "Evenness" in leakdown test results isn't really a virtue. It's more important what the value is for each cylinder -- i.e., a V8 with 7 cylinders at 5% and 1 cylinder at 10% is in better condition than a V8 with all 8 cylinders at 10%.

less than 5% = excellent
    5% = good
    10% = OKish
    15% = poor
    20% = bad

Are you saying that you have a set of leakdown test results for a particular engine and they are all in the 10-20% range?

4. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    yes,on the exhaust side,the engine was cold and maybe babied,if I drive it at higher rrrr's and burn some of the carbon I'm sure the results will be different,

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    would that be bad?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think that you should abuse it in the hopes of improving the leakdown result, but there's minimal downside in using it normally if it doesn't have any other bad symptoms (and getting some normal, regular use would be the best pre-conditioning for doing a meaningful leakdown test). Usually what happens when a cylinder truly gets up to 15~20% due to a poor mechanical condition of the exhaust valve-to-seat area is that the hot gas at firing leaking out between the valve and the seat accelerates/worsens the condition until the leak gets so large the cylinder won't fire because a lot of the intake charge gets pushed out into the exhaust system during the compression stroke -- when that starts to happen then no choice but to rebuild.

7. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    thanks steve,it makes since

8. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    quick question. i dropped a wrench down inside the forward bank timing cover area. it disappeared into the belts. can i just remove that timing belt cover without disrupting anything,? ie: it wont affect the tensioner bearing setting?. this is on my 78 308 euro, luckily, i have no ac compressor bolted to the cover anymore.
    thanks

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK

Yes, it'll be fine & won't disrupt the belt tension, but you'll have to remove the AC compressor to get it off (assuming you have still got it).

If you are going in there that far you might as well consider changing the belts though - the belts themselves are cheap.

Hate it when **** like that happens - my sympathies!

10. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    thank you for the fast reply. my belts were just done this winter from dave helms. and my compressor is long gone. i also dropped the magnetic wand down in there fishing for the allen wrench. i wonder what else in down there - grin..

11. Tim.watkins62

Tim.watkins62 Rookie

Aug 22, 2016
    Kansas City MO
    Full Name:
    Tim Watkins
    what is the birdman site called?

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001