308 QV Exhaust recommendations | FerrariChat

308 QV Exhaust recommendations

Discussion in '308/328' started by 375+, Oct 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am helping a friend with his first Ferrari, a US version 1985 308 GTB QV with stock exhaust. He would like the car to have a more sporting exhaust note and add a bit of power/response without being raucous. Any suggestions? Thanks to all.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks Mike.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Have a look at my post "While You're in There"- right at the end I put on a custom exhaust - custom made in SS, and half the price of a brand one - sounds fantastic too! Check out your local area - there's bound to be a high end exhaust shop.

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I love my Tubi!!

PDG

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #6 Todd308TR, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  8. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Personally, I think Im about to change mine from the backyard job it has to another, better, backyard magnaflow setup. The aftermarket exhausts for this car are frighteningly simple and ridiculously expensive. On top of all that, if the car ever becomes super collectible, chances are you'll want to revert back to the stock exhaust.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Many thanks to all for your input. Has anyone tried just replacing the cats with test pipes and running the stock muffler?

10. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Unfortunately, if more power is what you are looking for, it would require changing the stock muffler which is a very restrictive thermal reactor design.

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My tubi for that car is for sale by Paul Newman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  12. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes. I replaced the cats with test pipes I bought on ebay. Not, NOT a bolt on, quick in the driveway bolt on. So do not do what I did! Had to have an experienced shop cut, weld, and fit them. (Moore Performance) many hours.

As for the sound; I suppose a vid would explain best. I will try to post one soon.

For me, I love the fact that I have no worries about the car catching fire.

I have an 83QV with stock exhaust other than the crap eBay test pipes.

I'll post some pics/vids.

13. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I have an 83 308 GTS QV. I put a Tubi on mine but could not get it to pass Colorado emissions. I had Scuderia Rampante graft some mini cats into the Tubi. Looks like it came that way and passes emissions easily now. I have photos somewhere so I'll try to dig them up.

14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I also have a new sports cat to go with it,

15. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    TTT

I am currently looking at doing twin vibrant resonators...looking something like this (with megaphone (GTO style) tips perhaps...all in stainless steel. Anyone ever done something similar? I figure it will be super loud, but the 308 isnt my daily, and I have a trailer, so end sound is going to come before volume.

16. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    #16 buzzpics, Oct 25, 2013
  17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #17 Newman, Oct 25, 2013
    miketuason likes this.
  18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #18 Newman, Oct 25, 2013
  19. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    my headers dont exit like that

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  20. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    This was the inspiration for the Vibrant resonators. Knowing what a stock cayman S sounds like, and hearing this. I think it would work out well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kNi-1Rc4U]Porsche CaymanS custom exhaust, start up, rev, and flyby - YouTube[/ame]

21. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    My qv with nothing but an exhaust bypass valve welded in. The beauty of it is you can hit a button and go right back to a stock sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQosQ_34uU]Ferrari 308 qv with QTP exhaust bypass valve - YouTube[/ame]

22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have been driving on these for the last fee says and I really like the sound. In my opinion it has the best of both worlds. It sounds proper for a Ferrari when you put your foot in it. Civilized for regular driving with little droning.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Many thanks to all for your input. Has anyone tried just replacing the cats with test pipes and running the stock muffler"

My 328 has been that way for 3 years. IMO, the stock muffler is the way to go unless you are just doing short, 20 minute trips. Otherwise, I find the noise of aftermarket muffs to be absolutely mind-numbing for any thing more. I drove my 328/stock mufflers across counter - 2700 miles in 3 days and you need ear plugs to have any hearing left even with the stock mufflers. Personally, I like the sound of the oem better than the aftermarkets anyway, even discounting the noise difference.

Re performance - you will get no performance gain by adding louder mufflers. Louder muffs always "sound faster" but louder mufflers are just louder. I have participated in dyno tests where "performance" (and very loud) mufflers actually reduced power over stock mufflers. So don't blindly head off into that quagmire. If someone can show you an OBJECTIVE dyno test of increased HP before/after with the ONLY change being the muffler, then fine. But if it's a dyno plot shown by the maker/seller of the exhaust system pay NO attention. I personally participated in dyno tests by a well known muff company that were used in their magazine ads that were total BS. They "showed" a 13 HP increase over stock. What they didn't mention was that compared to a NEW oem muffler, their muff actually showed the same or slightly LESS HP but it produced 13 HP more than an old, rotted out oem muffler.

NEVER believe a manufacturer's adds without some sort of objective data to back it up.

Sorry for the rant...

Freddie328 likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Very helpful, thanks. I think that we will initially go with test pipes and OEM muffler.

25. Austin Newman

Austin Newman Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Memphis
    Full Name:
    Austin Newman
    What needed to be cut out??? And or welded ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app