308 Primary Shaft Part | FerrariChat

308 Primary Shaft Part

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by brook308, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi All,

I am trying to purchase a new part for a 308 gear box rebuild but the pricing I've got so far seems a bit expensive.
    The part in question is #7 on the diagram or ferrari part number 112599.
    So far I've been quoted 56 british pounds plus shipping to Australia, which is pretty over the top for a simple spring clip. Is there a source out there that may be better priced?

Cheers
    George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    If it makes you feel a little better ?? You can think about the effort to make that little part. Not much economy-of-scale on small production cars like Ferrari. I helped make a few similar parts for an old 250. Sourcing the steel for minimum quantity plus shipping + rough machining + heat treatment + double disk grinding to proper thickness. I think to make 3 or 4, we were in it about a grand, but were happy to get the project going.

Having said this, a real life saver for stuff like this is GT Car Parts in AZ. Good chance he'll have a good used one, and is usually quite fair on pricing.
    Best of luck to you!

3. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks 2dinos, yes understand that low volume production is costly and I guess we're lucky that suppliers are interested in production of these parts.
    I received the part# 112699 from Maranello Classic Parts and it's quite a bit more complex a spring retainer than what was used by the last mechanic to rebuild the gear box. My theory is that they couldn't source the correct part at the time or didn't want to pay for the correct part and fitted a more simplistic spring clip that failed and caused the bearing to leave it's correct location on the shaft.

4. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi All,

I have received the retainer spring clip part # 112699 from Maranello Classic Parts in the UK. Attached are some pics.
    This is definitely not the same part that fell off the shaft and caused the retained bearing to fail. It looks like the previous mechanic used the wrong part to retain the bearing and hence it failed. Luckily the damage to the gearbox in minor, so dodged a bullet there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Ammended correct part number for the retaining spring, Anello Elastico is 112699

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had many Ferrari gear boxes apart and never had one with a spiro lock retainer. I am not saying it won't work, but the part in your hand in the picture is not what Ferrari put in. I am sure if it is the right size it will do the job.

Rifledriver likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. Used to be a simple snap ring. I suspect they ran out and the supplier sold them what was off the shelf that would do the job.

brook308 likes this.