308 offsets vs. Mondial offsets | FerrariChat

308 offsets vs. Mondial offsets

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Skewz-me, Sep 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skewz-me

Skewz-me Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    I'm considering putting a set of Mondial wheels on a 308. I believe I read that the Mondial wheel offsets are different and would not extend all the way to the edge of the wheel well of a 308. Can someone tell me ( in inches if possible), how far short would the Mondial wheel be. Could I fill that void by using a spacer?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's such a big distance that you'd really need a bolted adapter rather than a bolt-thru spacer (which impacts the $ and does add a small servicability penalty IMO) -- see Sponsor Hill Engineering Type 2.

What size Mondial wheels -- 390s or a late 16" T-set? Unless you're getting a late 16" set for free, don't the 16" 308QV reproductions work out better?

3. Skewz-me

Skewz-me Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    They are 16" replica wheels from Superformance, not sure what T-set means -
    The rear end of my 308 has been altered. The standard offsets normally used for 308's will cause the tire to stick out beyond the wheel well on my car.
    I currently have a custom set of Momo's, but I'd prefer having wheels that look original. Superformance carries both offets for the Mondial and 308, so I am hoping the Mondial wheel might work out.
    I"ve been trying to find out how much of a difference there are in the two offsets to determine if the Mondial wheel will work on my car.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The "T" was in reference to the Mondial t which came with 7x16 and 8x16 wheels.

Can't Superformance tell you the offset of the 7x16 Mondial reproduction wheel that they are selling? The stock offset of a 308 chassis is about +11mm and a Mondial chassis using 390 mm wheels is +55mm (so it fits your plan), but the narrower 7" width might get into your calculation too (i.e., matching the tire outboard sidewall location rather than the tire centerline location).

What was "altered" on your 308 rear?

5. blackbird

blackbird Rookie

Sep 26, 2005
    Kansas
    I have a set of 348 wheels that come with the proper offsets and lugs for mounting to a 328. They would probably work on your 308. they are advertised in the ferrari ads section. I have some picutres in there of the spacers. I can also measure them for you if it helps.

6. Skewz-me

Skewz-me Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    The engine and tranny in my car are from a Pontiac Fiero. The entire rear subframe from the Fiero was used, and the Fiero rear end is wider than the Ferrari.
    The car was like this when I bought it. Seemed to me the maintenance would be less costly and eaiser to get serviced. The 2.8 liter GM engine does a good job, and overall I'm happy with it.

7. Skewz-me

Skewz-me Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    I'll look for the ad. In the meantime, can you tell me the distance from the inner hub mounting face to the outer edge of the rim?

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Is the car yellow or red? I've seen both on ebay. I'd love to see some detailed pic on how that's done.

The thing to watch for now is whether the bolt pattern is Pontiac or Ferrari. Ferrari is 5x108 mm, Fiero is 5x100. If you're running the stock Fiero transaxle hub to hub, the Mondial wheels won't fit

9. Skewz-me

Skewz-me Karting

Jun 14, 2006
    Mine's red. So there's also a yellow one out there somewhere?

The bolt pattern on the rear is Fiero. The front end has a spacer bolted on the hub, so I would assume the bolt pattern on my current wheels are Fiero. I've seen Ferrari wheels used on Fiero's, so I would also assume I can get adapters to put on the Fiero rear. Since the front is still Ferrari, all I need to do there is remove the spacers
    I'd be happy to post some engine pictures if anyone's interested. There is a lot of room in the engine compartment due to the smaller size of the 2.8 liter G.M. - makes it easy to access everthing.
    The car's in the shop now. I'm having the front shocks and the upper/lower control arm bushings replaced. I'll post some pics when I get it back.