308 mid rise lift | FerrariChat

308 mid rise lift

Discussion in '308/328' started by mr308gtb, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Please chime in. Will I be happy? I cant fit a service lift... on my 308, will I be able to do fluid changes, belt change, other maintenance? I know I will be able to do brakes and detailing...

Please let me know your thoughts. Also have a 348 and testarossa.

Thanks

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have a bendpak md-6xp which works great for ferrari mid engine cars .. one thing to keep in mind ..due to low clearance will have build long ramp/runners to drive on while lift is in the middle

I do like the new generation of scissor lifts like the MDS-6LP that lift from the frame side rails .. cost more but makes for work almost any car easy since middle is clear

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    My installer was going to cut the floor and recess the lift. He is offering me a Forwald Lift 6000MRL. I dont think that has the middle open.

4. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    MDS-6LPF

This looks like a must have for me... looks really nice.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The design is like mine 6xp .. I am not aware of "forward" so cannot speak on brand .. similar price to bendpak

If you are going to cut floor and if you are not budget restrained look into the other style ..some professional ferrari shops have these now

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    How do you feel about yours.and the center of the car being blocked a bit. I like on yours how it has the arms to get to the jacking points. Seems like the flush mount just has some blocks. Also I dont have 220v, so seems like the one you have is more likely for me...

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    It doesn't bother me much on the ferraris but on a bmw ,(front engine) it does block and work on trans and clutch exhaust

I have a 4 post lift with wheel lift bridge in another garage which is taller so I can bring car to which suits the job better

I started with scissor lift and it was a good investment ..very portable ..easy setup ..seems safe and well built

One thing also to remember is the arms block some area as well .. on the TR getting to fuel tanks iirc would be blocked ..

You can turn lift around and back up car to the lift to change block are offset

8. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks for your observations. I plan to do mostly smaller stuff, at least with this setup. Brakes, fluids, 308 belts if have courage, hoses, etc. Detailing. I have a BMW X5, but no way i am doing transmission. I'm too old to jack up the car for an oil change.

9. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sure you don't have room for one of these? The four posts are less than 7' high. You don't have to bolt it down and you can roll it around. If you've got 10 foot ceiling height you can (just barely) park a normal sedan under your Ferrari. If not, just park your Ferrari on it and use it as a service lift. I put one in 3 years ago for $3,600 installed and couldn't be happier. Note floor space taken by the four posts is tiny versus space needed to store a scissors lift. You need high-rise garage door rails and a jackshaft-type opener. http://www.revolutionlift.com/RFP8-8000-Pound-Capacity-Four-Post-Lift-P24C4.aspx

Martin308GTB likes this.
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Have you looked at the quick Jack .. much lower but worth a look

Also please remember mid rise lift is best used by sitting on a rolling chair .. keeping your back arched hurts after a while

Martin308GTB likes this.
  11. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    That 4 post lift won't get the car off the tires... used to have a storage lift and had the bridge jack, but moved, so now do not have the height. I also never liked stacking my cars on top of each other. Also those bridge Jack's can also leak oil.

12. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    What do you mean about arched back. I guess I would either use a chair or keep the car low and lay on my back, like I am used to now in my driveway.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I mean bending over since height is not there to stand completely .. it is an obvious thing but I thought I mention it

If you are going to lay on your back the quick Jack system may be good as well

14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #14 lm2504me, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Md-6xp! Works great! Used on my TR, Dino, 308s, M3, and Alfa’s.

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Between scissor and post they each have their own pro's and con's. I've used a MaxJax two post lift for the past three years both inside and outside the garage for everything including an engine out. I think for the 308 in particular a scissor lift works pretty well because there's really nothing in the center section of the car that you need access to. One disadvantage of a two post lift is that it interferes somewhat with the doors but overall having a lift has made working on the car much more enjoyable - especially for an old man.

Brian Harper and dinoart like this.
  16. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I use a quick jack. Perfect for who is looking for a more portable and less bulky solution

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have a BendPak that's recessed into the floor. It's a mixed bag. I don't regret it, but for sure Paul is right that all jacks have their good and bad points. It's great for wheels, brakes, suspension, steering. It's even helpful for top-side motor work and even some interior work just because the car is so low. But underside motor work is obscured by the lift or is over part of the hole in the floor. There are certainly times I wish I'd done a two-post list instead.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing and cavallo_nero like this.
  18. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks Brian... looks NICE

What would you say you have been unable to do bc of the blockage of the scissor lift? Can we do a 308 belt change? Trust me, I'm not taking out a transmission and dont think I'm dropping the engine out of my 348 with this...

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The MaxJax does give you unfettered access underneath and at 56 inches you can sit in an office chair and roll the whole length under the car and bring your carts and tables under there with you. It also fits in a normal garage although you'll most likely have to replace your jack-screw or chain driven overhead opener with a wall mounted torque-tube type. The only time it made things tough was when I was trying to get my shift linkage re-aligned. It was a bit difficult getting to the lever in the car and I had to go back and forth about a hundred times (If you've ever tried to do this blind you'll know what I'm talking about) The MaxJax also takes about 15 minutes to set up but rolls easily in and out and stores pretty neatly in a corner. I keep the arms under my desk.

So, as much as I hate to say it, the bottom line is you kinda need one of each $$$ ;)

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Oil change. Couldn't do the shift linkage adjustment for sure. Can't reach front of engine stuff like the header, exhaust, starter, gas tank stuff. I did a belt change easily. I think I could stand in the wheel well and reach everything. I pick the car up a foot just to have the engine a little higher. I picked the car up to work on the power windows and fuse box.
    I lost a few inches of height by sinking it in the floor. No regrets on that at all, but I was already pouring the slab so it was easy to do. I have a 3/4" plywood cover painted to match the floor, so it vanishes when not in use. I can drive right over it. But I'm also committed having it right there. It would be nice to be able to move it because of the narrow and deep layout of my space. If it had its own bay, that'd be awesome.

21. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks... very much... I'm kind of doing a 180 here having looked at the MaxJet website. It looks really cool and could possibly work.

@Paul, what did you mean when you said I would need one of each?

As Brian noted shift linkage job is hard or not possible with the scissor lift either. I dont even know what that involves, but look forward to finding out.

Do you need to drive up onto wood to get the maxjet under the 308 or other ferraris?

Would you trust to move it into place when the car is parked there already or is that asking for trouble?

Looks like a really nice Bendpak product. Maybe I'll get the scissor lift too and have a concrete guy come in and install both.

22. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Do you know why I see a Dannmar Maxjax, this has bad reviews, talks.aboyt leaks.and misaligned lifting side to side... I see maxjax is sold by BendPak. Are these one and the same?

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #23 kcabpilot, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Oh I was just joking because what sane 308 owner would buy four thousand dollars worth of lift equipment just to work on their car? LoL :rolleyes:

I bought the MaxJax before I got the Ferrari because one of the main objectives of getting a 308 was to tinker with it. I've used it for all of my vehicles so over the past four years I've pretty much put it through the wringer. I did have a leak on one that turned out to be the bleed screw washer at the top of the cylinder but no piston seal leaks so far. The thing about leaks is, they aren't such a big deal. The system is only under pressure for the time you are raising or lowering the vehicle (a minute or two at most) once it is to the desired height you put in the safety stops and lower it onto them so after that there is no pressure anywhere, it's a static stand.

As far as uneven lift side to side, I was really anal about getting the car lined up in the center at first but eventually I came to realize that it's not that critical - well, up to a point. If you really do an asymmetric alignment, such that the vehicle is much closer to one post than the other you will experience this but you can safely put the car reasonably closer to the passenger's side post to give you an extra few inches for opening the driver's side door or have it a bit crooked and it will be fine.

The other thing are the anchors. You need a good concrete base that's 4 inches thick and you'll need a big honkin' drill to do the ten 7/8 inch holes. I bought a Dewalt hammer drill on Amazon, it made it through two and a half holes before it nuked itself. Home Depot has the big Makita that does the job, just rent it for half a day. I bought an extra set of anchors and made a second spot outside on the driveway next to the house and I have used it often, one of the Alfas blew a muffler and is on it right now.

24. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    That is very helpful.

What about clearance on the 308. Can you get the arm under?

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, at stock height. If you have lowered it with QA1's or such then you'll probably have to drive it onto some 2x6 pads.