308 guys: buy Iridium plugs! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 guys: buy Iridium plugs!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Aug 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Modern fuels and location around the globe have different blends and require a different approach ie E5 fuel and E15 fuel
    Modern fuel burns a lot faster than the good old stuff in the 70's so it will need a hotter spark plug to ignite it, consequently ignition timing needs to be adjusted dependant on the fuel you use.
    BP6 is the lowest i would go but your fuel and location on the globe may need a different approach.

bernieb likes this.
  2. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Don't North America cars also have different timing, which if I understand correctly impacts heat of the plug? I ordered some BPR6EIX since my non-iridium plugs were a 6 and have been ok. Will go from there.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Adrian

Interesting, never knew that!

NGK charts dont reflect that info?

Attached Files:

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do you have a reference to share for this? I can agree that if you are using a standard electrode ES NGK plug of heat range "X" with good results, then using a colder VX or IX electrode NGK plug of heat range "X+1" would probably give good results, too (as the smaller center electrode of the VX and IX plugs, for the same heat range number, run hotter which is what gives them the better resistance to fouling), but that really isn't the same as saying NGK uses different heat range numbers for the different electrode designs.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  5. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Installed my iridium plugs, but I can't figure out how to use them. The have solid terminals but the extensions (I just replaced) are designed to work with threaded terminals. How are you making this work?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #81 Steve Magnusson, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    The top "normal" metal terminal (used to?) unscrew from the NGK IX plugs leaving the threaded rod terminal needed for Ferrari:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I hope that hasn't changed, or did you buy a different brand? Also, I see a lot of links about counterfeit NGK plugs lately...

7. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I just realized there are two models of BPR6EIX made by NGK. 6637 with the screw off end and 3903 with the solid end that can't be screwed off. Turns out I ended up with 4 of each :(

Erol likes this.
  8. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
  9. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I went with the 6 heat rating so the product numbers are different, but I think the one you are looking at is right because the electrical terminal is listed as "removable nut" so you should be able to screw off the terminal.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would never thought this is possible but fake once do exist.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Been the case for a decade or more...
    Factory oem appearing Honda, Toyota parts...everything is ripped off out of China and now Eastern Europe...