308 GTS vs. Mondial 3.2 coupe | FerrariChat

308 GTS vs. Mondial 3.2 coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jjmalez, Nov 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    hello,

all things being equal (condition, maintenance history, etc.) what would be a "better" buy; 1985 ferrari 308 gts or a 1988 ferrari mondial 3.2 coupe. the mondial, although newer, has a lower market price. my view of plus and minus of each.

308 plus
    * 2 seat styling and image
    * performance
    * resale
    * classic ferrari

mondial 3.2 plus
    * newer model
    * more powerful engine
    * additional space
    * no rubber bumpers

308 minus
    * older
    * less horsepower
    * rubber bumpers
    * no galvanized steel until 1984 model year

mondial 3.2 minus
    * styling not as dramatic as the 308
    * performance hindered by extra weight
    * electronic gremlins (do you rellly need a power glovebox?)
    * poor resale value

so 308 and mondial owners, if i have $30K+ to spend, which is the "better buy"?

thanks in advance.

joe

2. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    308 all the way, unless you need the back seats.

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Tho I've come to appreciate the looks of a Mondial when properly attired in wheels, color, etc. I vote for the 308, looks fantastic out of the box & has better resale value.
    Bill

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #4 snj5, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Depends totally on what you are looking for - both are great Ferraris, but quite different in intended purpose and effect. You list the pros/cons accurately, but remember they are different in what they were designed to do.
    The 308 is a petite, stunningly beautiful and recreational sportscar while the Mondial 3.2 is more of a larger, subtly elegant and usable Grand Tourer.
    The Mondial 3.2 will be about as fast as the 308 according to contemporary tests, but will do it in a totally different way.
    Just depends on what you want. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Always go with the style.....

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True. There will always be demand for classics, and the 308 will be one.

Regarding the 'power' pro/con, any car that's more than 10 years old is going to be behind the curve in acceleration. The 3.2 isn't a real scorcher anymore, either.

Regarding age, I happen to like the 308 QV's, and I frequently get the "yeah but the 328 is newer" speech because I can afford either model. The plain truth is that the age difference between an '85 and say, an '87, is trivial compared to how well the car's been maintained.

I would caution you against buying a Ferrari you don't really want - it won't be a good buy, whatever the price. I've bought a couple of cars because the deal was right, but I didn't keep them long. The Mondial is a "better deal" only if it really turns you on. Ditto the 308.

7. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I'm biased (3.2 cab here) but in making the same comparison myself and having driven a good number of 308s and 3.2 Mondials about a year ago, it was quite clear to me that the Mondial was an overall clear winner when you add up the cumulative effect of the pros and cons. The Mondial is a much more refined car - both in performance and style (IMHO) - with greater usability and creature comforts that we've come to expect in a modern daily/weekly driver. Frankly, a) I prefer the performance of the Mondial - much more stable at high speed and excellent in the twisties - and b) the 308 feels a little "boy racer" on me and I'm still just in my 30's! I definitely can't see myself driving a 308 in my 40's or 50's whereas I think the Mondial 3.2 will still fit like a familiar well tailored suit 10 years on. Best thing to do is go out and drive several models of each and form your own personal hands on opinion!

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    This is an apples and oranges comparison. These are totally different cars. It sounds like you are only comparing them because they have similar price tags. Ask yourself what you want out of a Ferrari and then decide. The 308 only has two seats, it's strictly a pleasure car for 2 with iconic good looks. It's the most recognized Ferrari on the planet. The Mondial will not garner as many looks and waves, is not well-known, and does not handle quite as well, but is far more practical, has 4 seats, and is more comfortable on long trips. (Though I must admist that I'm short and find the 308 extremely comfortable, one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.) Both say Ferrari on the back, have V-8s and sound great. You can't really go wrong with either but you really need to decide if you want a sports car or a practical car with zing. I couldn't make up my mind so we got one of each! ;)

Birdman

9. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I had a 88 Mondial Cab. and a 79 308 GTS at the same time, and I still have the 308 (I leased the Mondial and gave it back). I used to drive them daily.

I love open topped motoring and I hate driving the 308 with the top on.

But I have always loved the Mondial and I feel it is an underrated vehicle. The driveability is great, lots of room, easy to drive, decent trunk and back seat. Its larger than the 308, so depending how big you are it might be a better fit. After driving the Mondial, the 308 feels like a big boys go-kart, and there in lies the "fun" factor. The Mondial seems more refined than the 308.

I think the Mondial has more functionality, is a great daily driver, and at the low end of the price scale. If the open top is not a factor, then go with the Mondial coupe, or if it is a factor, try an 89 Mondial Cab. I would try to find an 89 Mondial coupe, I belive the "T" configuration has a stronger engine and is easier to work on.

I would try to find an 89 coupe with Tubi exhaust and get some sexy wheels if I was you. You won't be disappointed.

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    or you could buy a GT4 :D

11. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Buy the 308!!! I like both cars, really any F-car I like!! But if you buy one and don't like it, which I don't know how that could be possible, I think the 308 would be easier to get you money back on. The Mondial does not seem to have the same following. But again I am biased!

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For 30K you are not going to find a very nice QV, but you could get a mint Mondial coupe.

Dave

13. Iwanta348

Iwanta348 Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    I had a 86 Mondial 3.2 Coupe and now have a 85 308 GTS. What I didn't like about the Mondial is the "sitting in a glass house feeling" and the seating position. Both actually drive very similiar but the 308 is a much nicer car. The Mondial is a heavier car, so a 85 308 will always be faster than a 3.2 Mondial. I also had a 87 TR which is superior to both the 308 and Mondial. Shifting and steering is much improved in the TR, better handling too. I had a 94 348 Spider for a few days and a 348 will be my next car for sure as you can see from my name :). I have to add that the Mondial is very stable in high speed driving (had mine up to 260 km/h, well it was modified) and I don't feel that I want to go that fast in the 308.

14. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    I agree with Birdman in that you are comparing two completely different cars, so if you can, get both! I recently bought a 1986 Mondial 3.2 Coupe and can say that I am very partial to this car. Its styling is more subtle and its stability at high speed is phenomenal. The resale value should not be a minus anymore since the car has finally started to appreciate according to the Ferrari Market Letter. My only problem was that I found it to be very hard to find a nice example of a low mileage, well documented and maintained Mondial Coupe (there are not as many Coupes around since most imported Mondials were cabs). Many people with limited budgets purchased a Mondial because it has long been considered the most affordable Ferrari. They soon find out that maintenance can still be very costly and start to neglect the car. Nothing will cost you more in the long run than buying a neglected Ferrari.

Bottom line: We're talking old, used cars here that are becoming harder and harder to find. If you really cannot make up your mind between the 308 and the Mondial 3.2, let the deciding factor be the finest example you can get your hands on.

Regards

15. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    hard to choose, i enjoy both cars very much , but ima go with the 308, its just that much more sporty...

16. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    JJ, if you're anywhere near Seattle sometime, give me a hollar and you can take my 3.2 Mondi cab for a drive. With a sport (translation: no cat) exhaust and a few other modest engine tweaks this car is a screamer. I also removed the spare tire from the front (I know, this is an integral safety element in a frontal crash...) and that makes the steering a little lighter and takes a little weight out. My car out-dragged a 308QV at a stop light a few months back. Finally, there's no more fun way to arrive at the restaurant with the wife and kids than in a Mondial cab - trust me, you'll get the rock star parking in front.

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Lots of good advice here. I think it comes down to what looks and feels best to you. Neither makes "sense" in the traditional use of the term. MondialMondo's advice is also a good guide.
    Both nice cars, can't go wrong either way.