308 GTS and 308 GTS Quattrovalvole: Cosmetic differences? | FerrariChat

308 GTS and 308 GTS Quattrovalvole: Cosmetic differences?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Simon99, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #1 Simon99, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Can I get a quick list of differences from someone on this?

I am in Australia, in case there is anything specific to my zone.

In looking at photos, I see a number of variations of things like the colour of the grill ventilation. I understand there are options like the spoiler, but I'd like to see a list if anyone can run them off the top of their head.

For example, there is one photo of a QV from the Wikipedia page which looks cosmetically different from a QV for sale here in Melbourne. I am wondering whether there was a repaint and a change or whether the Australian delivered cars were different.

Thanks! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Start here:

http://www.308-328.com/308/index308en.html

Rgds

Rosey and built2grind like this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the biggest difference in US versions ( those are the only ones I know well enough ) is the front vents. QV's will have the long rows of vents in the middle of the hood, vs. gts/gtb I's will have just the vents on top of the fenders just above pop up lights.

most QV's have the rear spoiler.

QV's have the larger row of vent slots in on the rear deck as well. Europ cars just have two separate vents on the rear... US cars have them joined at the bottom I think non QV's just have the two as well.

inside is the easiest and biggest difference.

Non QV steering Wheels have a Nardi Wheel, QV''s have momo black wheels with MOMO engraved on the 6o clock post. also QV's have the larger glossy plastic horn button, Nardi have smaller metal prancing horse button.

Post Carb cars - first gen ingected cars have a square surround for the clock and oil pressure gauge just in front of the gear stick. its very after thought looking.... QV's have a rounded raised section for that in front of the gear stick.

QV's have larger non metric wheels - with larger Star pattern... usually Speedline made, Pre QV post Carb have larger dish smaller Star wheels - Campogaliano made wheels - but I think Speedline made some as well... QV's are 16 inch - but I believe they can fit all 308's...

Under the front Hood, QV's will NOT have a zippered spare tire cover ( US versions at least ) ... same for 328's.

intake on the engine on QV's are painted Wrinkle red with aluminum lettering and striping. also the airbox should say UFI & Ferrari. and be plain rectangle... but this is not always the case.. i think pre 84 QV's had the older style airbox.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 kcabpilot, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    I think only US models had anodized black front vents. Australia being RHD might have been the same as Japan but each country has it's own rules that may or may not affect cosmetics..

5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The front and rear bumpers are much diiferent as well.

miketuason likes this.
  6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    US QVs in 1983 (at least) came with metric wheels and tires.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    ... although 16” wheels made by Cromadora were already offered as a factory option by 1983.

8. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I am told by my friend Carl888 - Ferrari owner and mechanic - that QVs came with metric TRX wheels. This may be just for Australian delivered cars. Which is a pity, because a set of tyres here for those wheels is around AU$3,000 (US$2,300). The 16 inch tyres are, I am told, considerably cheaper as there are more choices.

9. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ah, that might explain the vent difference in the images I posted at the start of this thread showing the Wikipedia QV with black vents and the Australian RHD delivery with red ones.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  11. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Simon, if you're already talking to Carl888 then you've got a good source of info.

The Australian 308 QV’s are a bit of mish-mash vs. RoW. Cosmetically they are almost identical to the European market QV: Front louvres in body colour, same rear hood/bonnet, lenses / indicators, lower rear valance / exhaust, TRX rims / tyres standard (16” optional) etc. The external mirrors however are the larger Unilektra 'flag' style mirror used for the NA market (although who knows if there were some that sneaked in with smaller Vitaloni mirrors). Dashboard and controls are more or less same as EU. No rear demister option for AU cars.

Under the bonnet there were a number of differences to both US and Euro cars. AU used the NA market Marelli Digiplex, but a unique fuel distributor (it used the 208 Turbo unit, different to both EU or US QV’s), I think a different warm up regulator and aux air valve than US or EU, air intake duct with integrated intake silencer (like NA / Swiss cars), no Lambda sensor (same as EU, AU was pre-unleaded fuel at that time anyway), no EGR. I’ve probably missed other little regional differences here too (e.g. other Bosch K-Jetronic system components). I also had a note somewhere that most of the AU QV’s had the single belt alternator / water pump pulley.

Of course for Australia you know that we only talk about GTS QV's, there were no official AU deliveries of the GTB QV. Perhaps have a search through some older posts here too e.g.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-regional-differences.599869/

PS. If you're buying a QV then make sure you pay a huge price so mine will be worth more! ;) LOL.
    Cheers

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not mine, Brian: it's "Triple Black"s effort; I am only assisting from time to time...

Rgds

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes Mike; we should add that the reason for that five extra row of louvres on the engine hood is simply the catalytic converter that the US Cars had, and the "Euro" did not. The five extra row of louvres were for extracting more hot air on US Cars' engine compartment, due to the catalytic converter(s).

Rgds

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    There is a whole bunch different with the Australian 308's

We discussed this in another thread a short while back. Some of their governmental regs resulted in a 308 series as unique as their wildlife.

QV308 likes this.
  16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes I know about the louvers as why only the US has it and I know why Euro doesn’t, I’m just showing the other obvious different looks between the two. Question for you is, since I don’t have catalytic on my US QV, should I remove the five extra row?

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree, 83 was a mix mash year from the GTBI/GTSI to QV's. they may infact have been standard and you could upgrade to larger wheels? not sure. most QV's that I've looked at had the larger wheels.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    TRX wheels / tires are more expensive today. I think Cooker tires remakes Michelin TRX tires ... not sure on pricing.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The 16 inch was an option at some point in 83.

In fact, I think some early 84's still had metric

20. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have no doubt most QVs have 16" wheels now, but I don't know what the mix was from new. For sure the QV wheels sell for more than $4k a set and people use the metrics for hose reels and bonfires is telling on which direction the fleet is moving.

For sure in 1983 anyone who was buying wheels and tires in inch sizes while the world steadily moved to the metric system would seem a fool in 40 years!

21. 308 GTS QV

308 GTS QV Rookie

Aug 24, 2020
    My ’83 Qv, sold on Nov. 19, 1983 in California, came with 16” wheels and the original sales receipt doesn’t mention them as an option versus the earlier metric rims.

22. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    to my knowledge, there were no QV delivered in Australia in 1983. the first QV chassis numbered with still a 2v engine (!!) was a march 84 built.
    I cannot explain this except because of the Australian regulations of this period.

Nicolas21 likes this.
  23. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Do you knows if another ''308 2QV" were made ?

24. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    No, only one is known. We've already spoke about that strange period for AUS 308s